LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental Terrain Contact tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Continental Terrain Contact tires

hi I am looking for a 255 x 55 19 tire for the LR3 that I can keep on all year and it be ok with the Beach & gentle Off Roading. The only near all terrain I can find is the new Continental Terrain Contact that looks quiet good. I have used Conti's a lot in the past and they have always been good, are there any out there that I don't know about? And yes if I want to go serious off road I will use some 18's but for every day I love my 19's

Old 04-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 462 Likes on 413 Posts

Tons of options....Maybe Google that ****. Duratracs are good. BFG KO2s, Cooper still makes the Zeon LTZ. How much effort have you put into searching?

Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Tons of options....Maybe Google that ****. Duratracs are good. BFG KO2s, Cooper still makes the Zeon LTZ. How much effort have you put into searching?
none in 19 inch wheels, and yes I have search a lot, loads in 18's yes I know.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 462 Likes on 413 Posts

Yeah I guess you may be SOL in that 19" size.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I have Continentals on the truck now. A chunk of tread flew out of the back right tire on the highway. They also are not quiet. Don't know if the PO didn't rotate them or what, but deceleration on the highway makes them roar. I wouldn't get them again.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by djkronik57
I have Continentals on the truck now. A chunk of tread flew out of the back right tire on the highway. They also are not quiet. Don't know if the PO didn't rotate them or what, but deceleration on the highway makes them roar. I wouldn't get them again.
any tire will be terrible if not rotated, which Conti have you got 4x4 Contact or the new Terrain Contact? The Terrain only came out late last year. I have a set of 4x4 Contact on my LR3 that the previous owner did not rotate and they are junk now if he had looked after them they would of lasted another 20k miles at least.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the 4x4 Contact, but they were relatively new when I bought the car, so I doubt they had much need to be rotated. The biggest concern is the tread disintegrating. Tires shouldn't "chunk" unless they are heavily abused/overheated. I've been keeping a close eye on it and not driving it on the highway when possible till I can get new tires.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at the TerrainContacts also (in 255/55r19). I can't find much in terms of reviews other than:

Continental TerrainContact A/T First Look

We Test the Brand New Continental Terrain Contact A/T and General Grabber X3

Both reviews conclude they should be okay for more mild use. If you're using them on a beach mainly, and then just dirt roads etc., they should be good. I'm probably going to fit some.

The Cooper Zeons get exceptional reviews and are available in the same size...

Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GBR.R
hi I am looking for a 255 x 55 19 tire for the LR3 that I can keep on all year and it be ok with the Beach & gentle Off Roading. The only near all terrain I can find is the new Continental Terrain Contact that looks quiet good. I have used Conti's a lot in the past and they have always been good, are there any out there that I don't know about? And yes if I want to go serious off road I will use some 18's but for every day I love my 19's
I've two reviews for the TerrainContact. I'm in the same boat as you, in so far as I can't really be bothered spending the cash for a set of 18" wheels (even though in the long run tires will be cheaper).

The reviews are:
We Test the Brand New Continental Terrain Contact A/T and General Grabber X3

Continental TerrainContact A/T First Look

From both these reviews, the comments are nothing but positive which has me leaning toward them. I'm not going to be doing any ridiculous off-roading in them other than a few trails here and there so my take is they will likely be a good compromise.

If I don't buy the TerrainContact, then it will be the Zeon LTZ, which get virtually all good reviews.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Drifting

The Cooper Zeon LTZ is still available in 255/55R19 - it may be a little difficult to find on their website and/or online for sale, but if you ring around you'll find someone who can get them.

I have just debated this and was down to the Coopers and the Continental TerrainContacts. I have the 19" wheels and wanted to stay with 255/55R19.

In the end, I went with the Continental as they were a fair bit cheaper and I'm not doing anything crazy off road - hopefully we will wander along the Shadow of the Rockies on our way to WY in July and I think these will be fine for that.

Back in Australia I had a diesel Grand Cherokee and initially only had highway tires. Given most of my driving off road was wandering up and down beaches, the highway tires were arguably all you needed. In the end I had slightly more aggressive (than the TerrainContact) A/T tires (Bridgestone D697) and never got into trouble.
I’ll see how these go – Continental have a 60-day satisfaction warranty with them so if they turn out to be crap I will invoke the warranty and order a set of highway Contis for our other car and buy some of the Coopers for the Rover.

So far, and I've driven about 10 miles on them, they seem very quiet. I'm sure they will be fine on the highway, gravel, sand etc. They are not designed for mud so one couldn’t expect much there either.

I'm just hoping they do the job.

Have you bought the tires yet, GBR.R?

Quick Reply: Continental Terrain Contact tires