LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranks but no start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 04:27 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks but no start.

Ok i am going to try this again i have a crank with a no start issue. Have put in a new crank sensor. Still wont start. I can jump the starter out and after a few trys it will run and idle good. But the problem is it wont go over 50 mph and will not go over 3,000 rpms. I got a obd 2 scanner with land rover program when it logs on i dont see an ecm for the engine all i see is body ecm trans ecm and power train ecm so which one is for the engine oh this is a 2006 lr3 v6 4.0 ltr engine thanks for any help

Old 05-10-2020, 10:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

That's a Ford Cologne petrol engine. If there are no noises when it starts then mechanical's would be okay. Not going over 50 and limited revs can be fuel or transmission. Check that gearbox is not in low range and you are in highway mode.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:29 PM
4wd High
Default Crank no start

Yes there is a problem with the transmission. It shows a T fault select gears available. And when i plug in the scanner i try to get it to look at the trans ecu. And all i get is cannot find ecu. So i guess that tells me it is fried and as far going no faster then 50 mph. The tranny is stuck in feels like 3 or 4th gear and as far as limited rpms. When in park and i can hold the gas pedal to the floor it will only rev to 3,000 rpms. But found out the alternator was bad and when i kept checking i would always get something about the crank sensor the alternator and the oil temp right now i dont have the oil temp sensor hooked up wires broke. Going to fix tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:59 PM
4wd High
Default Crank no start

Yes there is a problem with the transmission. It shows a T fault select gears available. And when i plug in the scanner i try to get it to look at the trans ecu. And all i get is cannot find ecu. So i guess that tells me it is fried and as far going no faster then 50 mph. The tranny is stuck in feels like 3 or 4th gear and as far as limited rpms. When in park and i can hold the gas pedal to the floor it will only rev to 3,000 rpms. But found out the alternator was bad and when i kept checking i would always get something about the crank sensor the alternator and the oil temp right now i dont have the oil temp sensor hooked up wires broke. Going to fix tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

It may not see the the ecu if a connector is out or a wire is broken/shorted. Check behind the battery box.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:11 PM
4wd High
Default Crank no start

Ok i talked to the dealership and they said there is no ecm for this tranny it has a manual valvebody. I changed the alternator and crank sensor. Like i said i can get it to start but will not run over 3000 rpms it acts like a rev limiter. I will not start by the key. I have to have the key on and then jump the solenoid with the battery. It takes a few tries but it will start and run. And it idles great even in gear it idles great but when i go to drive it it will not go over 50 mph. And it seems to be stuck in 3rd gear even driving it like this it does drive ok has a little power but when it hits 3000 rpms that is as fast as it will go period. And bybthe way when i start it the tach needle sits on 0 till i race the engine up and then it will show rpms. Can anyone plz help me been working on this pos for two months. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:16 PM
4wd High
Default Crank no start

Does any one know where the inertia switch is on a 2006 lr3 with the v6 4.0 motor.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:22 PM
4wd High
Default Crank no start

Does any one know where the inertia switch is on a 2006 lr3 with the v6 4.0 motor.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Looked in the RAVE workshop and the inertia switch is mentioned but other than saying it kills the fuel pump and that input goes to the ECU there is no mention of location, reseting, etc.

Is the fuel good? Have you pulled the computers behind the battery and inspected the contacts? At least I think the V6 has them there too, I dunno.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:23 PM
4wd High
Default Crank no start

Ok i pulled the ecm and the transfer case ecm and they both look good no burnt smell. I checked all the connectors behind the battery box. And i mean there is a lot of them. I did not see any inertia switch. Where can i find a rave manual for a 2006 land rover lr3. I need a wiring diagram for under the hood. I need to know what all the relays are for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Cranks but no start.