LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dang! It's Christmas in June........

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dang! It's Christmas in June........

my '06 LR3 with 118K miles came to me with a Check Engine light on. Code was the Cat or sensors. Review of service records of past six months showed a new Cat and two new sensors.

Since the truck is getting 15+ MPG and running fine, I've driven it 600 miles and had a chance to leave it with a local wrench in hopes of him killing that light and code, or changing out the other two sensors.

Picked the truck up this morning and now we have 4 lights on the dash Here's his note to me:

Truck has a HDC fault, needs to be flashed. We scan, but it won't let us turn it off; has to be re-flashed.

Hill descent, air suspension fault (truck rides fine), note about not going over 30 on the dash, and the Brake light (maybe coincidence, maybe needs pads).

WHAT is a re-flash and, more to the point, is this a dealer-only thing to do since they're a ways down the road? Can a Ford dealer reflash it?

Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

First thing I'd recommend you check is the battery and clean the terminals. While you are doing that you can pull the battery out and check the connectors for corrosion at the Tranfer box ecu, It's the one that has a cover over it with two sealed harnesses going into it behind the battery. If thats ok, You could have spilled something into your all terrian control module on the center console and it shorted one or more swithes causing the warnings you speak of, including air suspension faults IF it's a switch fault.

A reflash is an updated software level for a module IE: ECM EAS ABS etc.. that addresses a specific issue that affects the drivability or a fault code.
There is a tune software update (reflash) for some 2005-2006my vehicles with a certain ox sensor fault code stored V6 and V8 engines
Here are the tune levels that should be in your engine module for a specific ox sensor fault.
diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs)
P0137 or P0157 (Downstream heated oxygen sensor circuit low voltage). A software calibration

sensitivity may result in the above logged DTCs.

If the
same tune level is displayed, terminate the tune download.
NOTE: Software levels should be as listed below, or later:
V8 Normally Aspirated: NNV503424

V6 Normally Aspirated: NNV503493

A ford dealer can not relash a Land Rover unless the are also a Land Rover dealer.
Note: these tune levels may have changed since 2006 but if your ecm tune is eariler
than this it would be a good idea to update/reflash it to the latest tune.

Hope this helps...

Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, thanks for the intel about the Ford dealer not being able to handle this deal. FWIW, I've just got another LR3 as a spare.......go figure!......... and hope to get it down here in time to have that spare for when #1 goes into the shop for electronics upgrades.

While it sounds funny or strange to have a second vehicle as a back up, it doesn't hurt the neighborhood to have a few more LRs in it, lol. I really like the look of them; even if parked....for awhile.