LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic Tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Diagnostic Tool

First of all, tks to all for answering all my questions so completely. Very helpful. Due to recommendations on this board, I've all but decided I'll be keeping an eye at Outland Motors inventory in Bend, OR and I'll pull the trigger when he has the LR3 that I want. Probably won't even mess with shopping anywhere else.

That being said, it appears that having a good diagnostic tool should basically just be added to the cost when looking at buying one of these rigs. Looks like the GAP IID Tool is by far the tool of choice for those on this board. At $2,200, it's quite expensive. I've been looking around and came across the RSW tool for $175. When I review the capabilities of each, they look very similar to my novice knowledge base. Anyone here have any experience with RSW?

Secondly, I am in an area where there is certainly not a dealer within 3 hours and I'm not aware that there is even a good independent near other than the standard shops that advertise the ability to work on European cars. Most specialize in Volvo though. So, am I making a huge mistake in thinking that I'll be able to effectively keep an LR3 maintained and deal with issues? I have some mechanical capabilities, relatively simple things like fixing my Disco II front seal, water pump, timing chain, stuff like that. But from what I read, these kinds of things arent really even an issue in the LR3. Just don't want to make a big mistake where I am too isolated to keep an LR3 properly maintained without certified mechanics specializing in rovers around. Opinions appreciated.

Tks!

Old 09-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

$2200???? I paid $400 for my IIDTool. That was a while ago but I think you should probably double-check that price quote!

3 hours from a shop would be tough. The LR3 is a lot more reliable than its predecessors, by all accounts, but it still will need maintenance. Not weekly or monthly...but still you'll be trekking that 6 hours round trip once or twice a year (depending on how much you drive it, of course).

Old 09-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

$2200 must be for the unlimited VIN version. Great if you're an Indy shop. Not so much if you're just an owner. Bluetooth version will run you somewhere near $650 or so iirc.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Mudding

Ya that price is for the pro model. But from how I am reading the description it is the only one that will control and calibrate the suspension. Seems to me this would be a must.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

No, all of their tools will read and calibrate suspension. They do have an EAS only tool that doesn't do any of the fault diagnostics and troubleshooting. That's somewhere in the $200 range I think. Then, they have the non-BT IID Tool and above that, the BT IID Tool.

Aside from the BT just being nice for control purposes, it's also very useful because you can see live value outputs on your phone/tablet and record graphs of the information and how they change over time. For example, you could select your engine rpms, your fuel trims, and your O2 sensor readings and record them over a 10 minute time span, then go back and look at how all of them compared to each other. Or, you could look at your A/C compressor current draw, blower motor setting, solar sensor voltage, and interior and exterior temperature sensors to see how all are relating and where an HVAC issue might lie. I really think the BT version adds a LOT to the package personally.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Mudding

Hmmm....when I read the descriptions for the functions of the different tools on their web site, it only indicates that suspension calibration can be done with the Advanced Programming Functions package which is only available on the pro version. Am I missing something?

Old 09-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

You are missing something...perhaps a mis-placed decimal or a misprint on the website. Do you have a hyperlink? Let's check it out!

Old 09-01-2016, 06:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 09-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Mudding

Tks guys. Must be a web site error. I'll take your word for it and will go for the BT when the time comes. Tks!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If you ever have any questions, just email them. The guys there are very responsive, and not just before the sale... Even (especially) afterwards! . They'll answer any questions you have very quickly.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic Tool