LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty Starting In The Morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 05:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty Starting In The Morning

Good day everyone,
Bought a 2008 LR3 V8 HSE, 150K miles last November via auction. I've had to work on the air suspension (front drops with 24-48 hours) and also I've been chasing some lean and rich codes (P0174 & P0175). Asides that, it drives well and is in decent condition.

In the last 3 to 4 weeks I has required a few attempts to get the engine to start. Normally it would start the first time without trouble. Now I have to try once or twice before it gets going. Once I do get it to start though, it is fine for the rest of the day. Next day, the issue comes up again.

I'd like some advice on what are the likely causes for this so I can fix it please. Thanks!
(I am going to try adding a video I took some weeks ago when I experienced this issue. I hope it can be viewed)

Old 05-29-2021, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

what's the fuel pressure at the rail look like in the morning?

Old 05-29-2021, 12:27 PM
Drifting
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Battery might be crapping up, use a multi-meter and look at the voltage. If it's not between 12.5V and 13.5V, then you have a problem.

Old 05-30-2021, 03:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Define trouble starting... is it cranking over or is the starter not even properly engaging?

Old 05-31-2021, 10:31 AM
4wd Low

Regarding the fuel pressure, I haven't got the means to check this at the moment. But earlier this year while at a workshop, the mechanic had a look at it and said it was fine.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:33 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Land_Rover
Battery might be crapping up, use a multi-meter and look at the voltage. If it's not between 12.5V and 13.5V, then you have a problem.
I have previously had a look at the battery voltage. Using the GAP tool I see it ranging from 13.5-13.9. I'd say that's okay but I'll double check with a meter. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:42 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Define trouble starting... is it cranking over or is the starter not even properly engaging?
It is cranking over for sure. Cranks until it times out. After timing out once or twice, it starts right up. Once in a while I'm fortunate and it starts the first time but usually requires a few attempts.

I tried to attach a video I took of what happens. I dunno why it's not uploading. Perhaps I'm missing something. But anyways, here is a link to the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5574qu84r5...0copy.mov?dl=0

Hopefully you can view it this time. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Almost sounds like a defective check valve in the fuel pump, causing the system to bleed down. So then you are, in essence, priming it every time you have to start it. If it was recently started there is still residual pressure so it starts easier. Just a guess though, but thats what is sounds like.

The following users liked this post:
khan-solo (05-31-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 02:44 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Almost sounds like a defective check valve in the fuel pump, causing the system to bleed down. So then you are, in essence, priming it every time you have to start it. If it was recently started there is still residual pressure so it starts easier. Just a guess though, but thats what is sounds like.
Makes sense. I guess I am looking at a new fuel pump?

Also, out of curiosity I have experienced the vehicle stalling at times while moving. Typically after some, shall we say, 'spirited' driving. If then I need to slow down to a crawl or stop at a light sometimes it goes off. So far anytime it happens it always starts again but it is bit worrying. Could the stalling be fuel-pump related? Thanks a once again.

Old 05-31-2021, 04:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Well I cant say its the fuel pump for sure, it could be any number of things. But poor starting and stalling do sound like fuel related issues. If you have ANY codes, we need em. It could be something like a loose EVAP hose which is causing a large vacuum leak, etc.

I had a bad fuel pump a couple months ago, turns out the pump was fine but instead a wiring rubbing through since the day it left the factory. Just a matter of time before it corroded enough and failed. So ya never know sometimes. Its a pain figure out random issues.

The following users liked this post:
khan-solo (06-01-2021)

Quick Reply: Difficulty Starting In The Morning