LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise on startup

So I am getting a 5-10 second noise on startup. I have an 05 LR3 4.4 V8.

I just purchased this truck from the dealer a month ago and the day after I brought it home this noise started. It is back at the dealer for the second time. They said an oil change and Lucas treatment fixed it. NOPE.

See video here

I have heard it could be either a Hydraulic Lifter going bad, a VVT actuator going bad, or even the timing chain tensioner.

Worth fixing or should I just ask the dealer to keep the truck?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

What's the engine, mileage?

Some people say this develops from too infrequent oil changes.

I would have suggested the same thing, as far us a Lucas treatment and oil change. It might take some more frequent oil changes IF it is going to clear up. If they're not willing to stand behind the problem until it is solved....

Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Overlanding

It has 74k, I covered the engine in the first line of OP.

History on the truck is extremely well maintained. Same LR dealership for its entire life. Spoke to the service advisor yesterday who knew the PO. It had every Dealer recommended maintenance item done and all oil changes so I don't think that infrequent oil changes is the problem here.

Seeing as they have driven an hour to pick it up twice now and give me a loaner I think they are going to stand behind it. But do I want it anymore if its needing heavy engine work.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default I heard the fan ....

I guess I am not hearing what others are hearing but I did think I heard the roar of the radiator cooling fan at full lock.

If so, that is routine; some sort of emissions thing where the engine needs a load at startup to keep the EPA happy.

In colder weather or first start in morning, the fan noise is more common. Once the engine is hot, on restart, the fan lock is not so common.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by bbyer
I guess I am not hearing what others are hearing but I did think I heard the roar of the radiator cooling fan at full lock.

If so, that is routine; some sort of emissions thing where the engine needs a load at startup to keep the EPA happy.

In colder weather or first start in morning, the fan noise is more common. Once the engine is hot, on restart, the fan lock is not so common.
The noise in question is the knocking\slapping noise that last aprx. 5 seconds and fades out. Metal on Metal like noise.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

bbyer: you have to listen pretty close but yes, Zach is referring to a fairly high-frequency rattle.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

See attached.

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (09-16-2015)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks -- great info there...

Old 04-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default much appreciated

The pdf is much appreciated roverguy7.

The good news is other than knowing my engine has variable valve timing, I have not had to learn more.

The fix sounds doable in that at least the engine remains in the vehicle, you "just" have to know what to do.

Again, much appreciated.

Also, I wonder if my hearing is failing or perhaps I do not like hearing that sort of thing.

Interestingly however, I can hear when I need an oil change; at about 8,000 km (5,000 miles), a slight ticking out of the valve train becomes audible when the engine is cold. Then when I do an oil change with Castrol Syntec 5W-40, the ticking ceases. It has been that way for maybe the last 100,000 km (60,000 miles) so .....

Old 04-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Overlanding

That is wonderful Dave, Now when I talk to my service advisor, do I ask him about this as a TSB?, or does LR have a different term for TSB's? I only ask because I am ignorant to Land Rovers Service departments.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise on startup