LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford ranger engine in an LR3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford ranger engine in an LR3?

Hi All, Newbie here.

So here's the scoop.

We bought a 2006 4.0 LR3 about a month ago. Spent money on new tires (Copper discoverer H/T Plus. Very good) and bought a whole set of controls arms front and back (sitting in the garden, waiting to go on)

Then the engine blew! In the middle of absolutely nowhere in BC Canada... at midnight... in the bear infested bit... on a long weekend.

After a $2000 towing bill to get it 14 hours home, it turns out the engine is toast. Limping it 160km to the nearest one horse town means the engine is full of the camchain cassette filings and done for.

Landrover Canada wants $11,500 for a new engine... plus tax... plus shipping FROM THE UK! :-)
Ford wants $4400 for a new Ranger 4.0 engine

I can't find a second hand engine in Canada.

I can however, find a very lightly used 2007 Ford ranger 4.0 that is technically the same engine (except lower compression and different timing, the differences I've found so far) for $650. meaning the computer is going to give a big "Nope" if I put it in.
... saving a gazzillion dollars!

So, to the help part. :-) I need a Guru. someone that can tell me what the differenced are between a Ford ranger 2007 4.0 V6 and an 2006 LR3 so we can canibalise the different parts into the new engine.

Has anyone ever attempted this? Did anyone find software issues and fixes? If its not possible, where do I find an engine in Canada and any other useful information anyone has.

*Someone, *somewhere* must have the information of the differences between engine part code 300AABB (or 300AABC) with a ford part number of 6006 or 6007 and a Ranger engine part number 6006AARW

So, over to you guys :-)...

Last edited by Canadian LR3; 08-17-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a similar journey. I lost the cam chain tensioner and it took out the drivers side head, piston and actually broke the block near the bottom of the cylinder. You may have gotten lucky.
I am assured that the LR block is a built in Cologne Ford motor. However, two different places that I went said I wouldn't be able to use a Ford motor. One said he had tried and thrown Ecu errors from the crank pickup sensor and was unable to get the motor to run correctly. These guys specialized in LR salvage parts and may have had a slight vested interest in selling me a used motor. I don't know whether the motor they tried came from a Ranger, Explorer or Mustang....your suggestion of timing and compression may also be effecting the ECU.
An LR Engineer (retired) that I spoke with said the sensors are different, but the blocks, should be the same. If you look at photos of the sensors online, their lengths are different...maybe just the balancer is different. It may come down to actual year of production or commercial vs standard.
I really wanted to put a remanufactured Ford motor in it, but ultimately gave up, spent 2500 $US on motor with 87k miles. If I actually had a place to pull the motor, I would have spent more time visiting machine shops.
I wish you luck!

Last edited by Geo; 08-17-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I just went to car-parts.com and searched for 4.0 in Canada and it came up with a about a dozen. Price seems to be in the 2-3k range having around 200,000 kms.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for the quick replies.
Talking to the engine guy I've taken it to. If we did use a Ranger motor absolutely nothing on it electrical would be kept. Everything sensor and electrica would be removed from the LR3 engine and used.on the Ranger motor. I'm good with bike engines but don't know how the timing is controlled on a V6 Ford engine. I don't mind the lower compression because it would mean I wouldn't have use premium gas. Losing the extra performance would be something I could live with too. I also heard the cams are different (and cam timing? ) so they could technically be grafted into the ranger engine if required too.

The engine that went had 220K on it so I'm reluctant to spend $3K (plus $1000 for fitting) getting a motor that could do the same. :-)

Old 08-18-2017, 02:45 PM
5th Gear

Well, it continues to get stranger and stranger.
Landrover Kelowna want $11,500 for an engine and it has to come from the UK.
Landrover Vancouver want $9300
Landrover in Ontario want $7500.

All for the same part number. :-/

Old 08-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome to Rover World....

Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM
5th Gear

Just a quick update to say that it finally got sorted out. I had to import a used engine from the US as Land Rover have discontinued the LR3 Engine. Had it checked and the camchain tensioners were already snapped at 90,000km so had them replaced and the engine fitted the the LR3

Total cost $12,000

... for a car we bought 3 weeks before for $10,000

We'll own this car until it dies now.. and I'll never buy another Land Rover as long as I live. ;-)

Old 11-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Not to be critical, but buying a Land Rover wasn't the problem, it was buying the wrong used vehicle that was your problem, especially one with a very limited sale engine. What did it last, two maybe three model years? I rarely if ever see a six cylinder LR3 for sale, and I wouldn't touch one regardless of price.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Out of curiosity, can you break down the $12k? Seems shockingly high. Shipping and border taxes must have been a lot. Did a Land Rover dealer do the labor? Any other stuff done at the same time? I needed to replace the radiator when I did mine and serviced the transmission at the same time. I hope you can find a local mechanic with a lower labor rate.

I had a Discovery 1 many years ago. I knew it had serious issues, but I always missed it even years later.

I know you were not anticipating the failure. What’s the saying about Land Rover making men into mechanics for xx years?

As a side note, if you need parts in the future, let me know and I’ll try to help however I can, including locating and shipping parts to you from the States. Part of the Rover experience is the other owners. You don’t find that for the non-enthusiast makes/models.

George

Last edited by Geo; 11-01-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian LR3
Well, it continues to get stranger and stranger.
Landrover Kelowna want $11,500 for an engine and it has to come from the UK.
Landrover Vancouver want $9300
Landrover in Ontario want $7500.

All for the same part number. :-/

Better question is why didn't you but the new engine from Land Rover Ontario and pay the guy the $1000 to put it in for a total of $8500

The following users liked this post:
Athana (09-09-2020)