LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found busted electrical connector...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:45 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found busted electrical connector...

Hey guys, a new member here, and must say I'm happy to join the group! Lots of good stuff I saw just from poking around a bit.

Hopefully someone can help me with identifying a problem. I took the engine cover off my '06 LR3 SE to clean the MAF sensor+TB and noticed some wires that look cut. They go to a connector that I can't identify. The only indication on the dash is low coolant warning (coolant isn't low) which I thought was most likely a sensor. Could this be associated?

Thanks in advance for the helping hand. I really appreciate it.

Attached Thumbnails Found busted electrical connector...-2015-05-15-03-35-36.png   Found busted electrical connector...-2015-05-15-03-36-02.png  
Old 05-15-2015, 08:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default What engine is that?

I do not know if you can do up a signature yet but if you can, it helps if you put in what engine you have as well as the vehicle. Given that your 2006 LR3 3 is an SE, I am inclined to guess that you have the Ford V6.

The HSE is pretty much always the 4.4 Litre Jag V8 but with the SE, one can never be certain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Co...V6_engine#SOHC

Last edited by bbyer; 05-15-2015 at 08:30 AM. Reason: added link
Old 05-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The low coolant light is most likely a bad float. The current fix is to replace the coolant reservoir. It would not be unusual to find connectors not used, as bbyer states. Maybe some are used for one engine, accessory and not the next. You say it is cut, if that is the case, are both ends there? The picture does not show it very well.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I have the 4.4 liter v8.

The connector is definitely used but wires going into it are cut (looks like someone took diagonal cutters to them), but i cannot find what the connector is used for. I was hoping someone on here could just look at it and tell me...

Old 05-16-2015, 11:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Default EGR Valve Postion Sensor?

Some vehicles have Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Position Sensors. generally called up as EGR Valve Position Sensors.

I have never heard of such on our 4.4 litre petrol engines but I wondered if that which was pictured was something to do with circa 2005 California Pollution Controls.

On this one, I am really guessing.

Also that cut conductor should be causing other problems and probably not show as a low coolant sensor light - but you never know with a Land Rover.

Below is a link re the coolant tank and per the unseenone post, the solution is generally a new tank.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - "Low Coolant Level" message again!

Old 05-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Unplug the connector, looks like its plugged into a blank

The following 2 users liked this post by TOM R:
bbyer (05-17-2015), unseenone (05-17-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Default two connectors and both wired

I removed the engine cover today to look at the two connectors in question.

Per my jpg below, both connectors have conductors leading into them, and out as well. The out wires lead down the front of the engine to I presume some engine sensors - hence I guess they matter.

As to what sensors, someone who knows what makes the engine run may have a better idea than I. About all I know is that it seems to require money. Two wire sensors include the
crankshaft position, camshaft position, (two of them), and knock, (also two of them as well).

I also note that DieHard's engine appears a lot cleaner than mine on top.

I just dread removing the engine cover as I have a vision of something falling into the oil fill while I am fumbling about.

Attached Thumbnails Found busted electrical connector...-connectors-under-engine-cover-20150518-00541.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
unseenone (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

A little simple green spray and a light mist rinse will do wonders... I do it once in a while..

Old 05-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Default plastic intake manifold

OK, I will try that. I guess the plastic intake manifold will not dissolve.

The black plastic surfaces like the engine cover and battery covers, I have kept pretty good looking. Today I did clean the underside of the engine cover and the sound pad but both were fairly clean to start with whereas the intake manifold top surface - well the grit looks a bit baked on to it.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I had a look at the shop today, while the intake manifold is off, easier to see. The guys said they are camshaft position sensors, there is one on each side. The mate had a red bit on it, and light colored wires. There is one on each side..

Wiggs D4 Bluetooth module upgrade?

The following users liked this post:
bbyer (05-19-2015)

Quick Reply: Found busted electrical connector...