LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end dropping!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 11:14 AM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Front end dropping!

Ok. So I have diagnosed a front valve block leaking due to the front end dropping. Both sides. I’ve pulled fuse and same thing. Front end both sides.
I pulled the valve block and rebuilt it. Still same symptoms.
I just replaced the front valve block. After sitting for about an hour it’s still dropping.
My question is will a middle valve block cause this as well as a front block?
To add to this I’ve also just rebuilt the compressor with new desiccant.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:37 PM
Mudding

To add:
I removed the front valve block again and added new Voss fittings and reinstalled. Removed the mid valve block and disassembled, cleaned, rebuilt and reassembled and re installed. Still the front end is dropping! I dont get it!

Old 11-21-2020, 09:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default Check your calibration...

...worth a shot.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:17 AM
Mudding

Ok. I will re check the calibration again tomorrow. I pulled fuse and am letting her sit overnight. See what turns up.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Middle valve block is only for the reservoir air, the front and rear blocks are both open and directly connect to the compressor. Sounds like you have a bag leak. Bounce the vehicle by hand (hood open, that hood is aluminum, so push on the fender wall). I you hear a brief hiss, you know for sure its a strut leak. More often than not they leak from the upper most seal, bouncing the truck flexes that seal and can help it leak audibly.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:50 PM
Mudding

Ok. I got her back together. I will try to bounce it tomorrow after work. I’m was starting to think struts too. Because both sides drop in the matter of a few hours noticeably. But one side is worst. Even with fuse in the front will drop to bump stops and the rear is still up. I’m going to spend a week measuring each corner morning and night and see if I see a pattern.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:16 AM
Mudding

:update:
So after pulling the fuse and measuring all week it looks like the driver side front leaks down form 20 1/2" to 16" pretty much consistently and the passenger side from the same to 17 1/2" again fairly consistently. The struts are original to the truck too.
Im thinking both front struts are the culprit because the valve block was rebuilt and then replaced thinking i botched the rebuild.
Next step is going get up with lucky8 and see about getting struts and while im in there doing upper and lower control arms.
So any info/pointers on doing this install would be great!

Old 11-30-2020, 11:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

It's probably not helpful to suggest this, but I wonder what the odds are on both struts having failed at the same time. It seems like you've run the valve block issue to ground as best you can but it is the simplest answer - maybe it could still be the problem? (Occam's razor, etc).

Old 11-30-2020, 12:29 PM
Mudding

No it is defiantly helpful, as I also am in the same thought pattern to think its something that the two have in common. Like I've said I had rebuilt the block and replaced it. It still dropped the same. The I replaced the block and it still dropped the same. I've mixed up soapy water and can not seem to find anywhere that the block, struts or lines are leaking. I've even rebuilt the transfer block thinking that may be something. The struts are original (2006) and the car has 158k on it so it and i have had the front end leak down for a year or so just not terrible. to the point I had had the rebuilt kits for some time now as I was waiting on the compressor rebuild kit before I rebuilt the blocks. I am aware that the struts need replacing due to the age but I'm still open to any and all opinions. I could do height sensors too. All are original as well. Only thing that I know of that as not is the compressor, which was replaced with an AMK in 2014 and I just replace the large O ring and desiccant.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

A valve block problem should trigger a code, they are monitored. You can have one or both leaking, if one leaks it will bring down both sides of course. Physics and all that jazz, the leaking side is usually a little lower. Height sensors would not cause this issue. FYI I had occasional random drops until I rebuilt my valve block. Now after hitting an underwater obstacle at high speed with my driver side front wheel I not only blew the tire bead, I also have a very constant drop on my driver front which brings down the entire front. But in the morning there is a noticeable lean to driver side. I have access to two struts so we are going to direct and see if we can fix em up. In my case I know I blew an internal o-ring or the top seal. The bag itself is fine.

Quick Reply: Front end dropping!