LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Passenger dash cup holder question???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Front Passenger dash cup holder question???

Has anyone had the cup holder pop out and it won't stay closed? This just recently happened to me and I can't figure out why? My daughter just started driving and this weekend I was riding shotgun for the first time when I noticed and no one said anything!

Anywho....I figured I ask if any one experienced this before I dismantled my dash board.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

If I recall, you can remove it without dismantling the dash.. and either try to fix or replace the assembly.

The following users liked this post:
The_OGCJR (07-05-2022)
Old 09-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default optional cup holder

If it is the cup holder that located under the passenger side round louver air vent closest to the passenger side door, the cup holder comes out along with the round air vent when you pull/tug off that about 4 inch wide curved plastic part.

What I am saying is that for once, one does not have to remove the body or whatever to get at the cup holder. You can do it sitting in the passenger seat wearing your best clothes and no bloodletting should result .

The cup holder is an option and not on all 3's, hence it just bolts/screws in below the air vent. I forget what holds the slider bit in, but I suppose there is some sort of spring clip that has let go or is not catching. I suspect you can fix it or at least purchase it as a new part FBD500140PVJ from LR or as per below.

Land Rover LR3 Right Side Passenger Dash Push Release Cup Holder Genuine New | eBay

Incidentally, that area behind and below the round air vent is a good place to hide small bits as easy to get at once you get the hang of removing the assembly.

The following 2 users liked this post by bbyer:
Linebacker (01-01-2016), The_OGCJR (07-05-2022)
Old 01-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I replaced the cup holder. However, in true Land Rover fashion, the ashtray popped out and now it won't go back in! LOL!!! I'll leave that one alone for a while, until it really bugs me. The process for that is a bit more daunting (easy, but daunting).....

Still love this truck!

Old 04-25-2019, 09:19 PM
8th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
If it is the cup holder that located under the passenger side round louver air vent closest to the passenger side door, the cup holder comes out along with the round air vent when you pull/tug off that about 4 inch wide curved plastic part.
Originally Posted by bbyer

What I am saying is that for once, one does not have to remove the body or whatever to get at the cup holder. You can do it sitting in the passenger seat wearing your best clothes and no bloodletting should result .

The cup holder is an option and not on all 3's, hence it just bolts/screws in below the air vent. I forget what holds the slider bit in, but I suppose there is some sort of spring clip that has let go or is not catching. I suspect you can fix it or at least purchase it as a new part FBD500140PVJ from LR or as per below.

Land Rover LR3 Right Side Passenger Dash Push Release Cup Holder Genuine New | eBay

Incidentally, that area behind and below the round air vent is a good place to hide small bits as easy to get at once you get the hang of removing the assembly.

Do you happen to know what the part number for the blank insert is? Basically my LR3's cup holder broke just like the OP's and since I don't use it often I'd kind of like to just get rid of it but I've looked all over the internet and can't find the part number.

Last edited by Carson G; 04-25-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts

I think you look for the passenger side air vent without the cup holder rather than a blank off part. The lower end 3's may not have that cup holder at all - hence a junk yard.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:42 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Linebacker
Has anyone had the cup holder pop out and it won't stay closed? This just recently happened to me and I can't figure out why? My daughter just started driving and this weekend I was riding shotgun for the first time when I noticed and no one said anything!

Anywho....I figured I ask if any one experienced this before I dismantled my dash board.
Originally Posted by unseenone
If I recall, you can remove it without dismantling the dash.. and either try to fix or replace the assembly.
You can in fact remove it without dismantling much at all. The piece of trim that it sits inside of along with the vent pops right off. Pull from the bottom, hard and firm. The top slots in vertically. The cupholder is part of this assembly. Unfortunately there's no way to fix the cupholder if you had the same failure I did - the little molded plastic pin that the lock assembly actually grabs onto. Buy a new one, or better yet, just live with the cupholders in the center... Never understood why Land Rover felt the need to put an additional cupholder there. Kinda silly, IMO.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:08 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Part # For pop out passenger side (LHD) cup holder

Here ya go

Old 07-01-2022, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

These are tough to find right now. I have found one source but its new and $224!

Old 07-01-2022, 08:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by WestHamPaul
These are tough to find right now. I have found one source but its new and $224!
There are a few on eBay for less than $100, some include the entire vent assembly.

Quick Reply: Front Passenger dash cup holder question???