LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Rail Priming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 06:40 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fuel Rail Priming?

Today I removed the intake manifold and fuel rail, resealed it all and put it all back in. Went to start the truck and it cranked, caught an revved real high. Then it stalled.

Tired a few times and got the same result. Attempted to prime the fuel rail with by cycling the key 20 times and got a bit farther. It ran longer before stalling. RPM's dropped then it picked up and died.

So I'm looking for how to prime it (maybe) and then get it started.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:51 PM
Mudding

So I can it it to rev really high with the gas pedal and it tries to die. By putting my foot into it I can keep it alive for about 10 seconds then it cuts out.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

I doubt it needs priming after that. You likely have another issue. Is the MAP sensor plugged in? although I dont think an unplugged MAP sensor will cause a no-start, but not sure.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:23 PM
Mudding

Pretty sure it is. I pulled and cleaned it today while it was all out then made sure to plug it back in. I’ll double check in the morning.

The 8 new upper manifold gaskets look different from the originals which had little cubes on either side and the new ones don’t. BA said the new ones are updated but it looks like there are open areas without the cubes.

Anything else to check out?

Old 01-05-2023, 10:34 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Look for vacuum leaks if your sensors are all intact. It revving high tells me it's possibly getting more air than expected, then quickly runs out of enough fuel to deal with it and dies.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:39 PM
Mudding

Ok. I’ll restart the vacuum leak hunt again. The reseal was supposed to fix it.

This act like a major leak then because we are flooding the engine with air?

Been going over what it could be since it’s all tight and have no idea other than the upper seals without cubes.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:44 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

What prompted you to do the intake in the first place? Is it possible you're chasing the original problem and the intake was not the fix?

For a vacuum leak a smoke tester can be great. You can also redneck it and use shots of starter fluid around the engine to see if you get an idle/starting behavior change, but it can be a little dangerous if you overdo it.

The following users liked this post:
droolyFace (01-06-2023)
Old 01-05-2023, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Dumb question, but you're sure all 8 injector electrical plugs audibly clicked when you plugged them back in?

Probably worth smoke testing around the intake manifold to rule out an issue with the new gaskets.

If you have a GAP tool, there's a procedure on it for purging air out of the fuel system

Old 01-05-2023, 11:25 PM
Mudding

I will double check the injector plugs also. For that matter, all of the plugs.

Re: GAP Tool. Is it the fuel prime once under service > engine? Or is it something else?

I tried the fuel prime but didn’t notice anything happening although it said it completed ok. Also reset adaptations too.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by droolyFace
I will double check the injector plugs also. For that matter, all of the plugs.

Re: GAP Tool. Is it the fuel prime once under service > engine? Or is it something else?

I tried the fuel prime but didn’t notice anything happening although it said it completed ok. Also reset adaptations too.
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of.

Quick Reply: Fuel Rail Priming?