LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GAP trans firmware

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts
Default GAP trans firmware

Which of you was it that was using the GAP firmware for the trans that was meant to help the tranny slipping under california-stop conditions? I've forgotten which thread it was and the search tool didn't help much.

Just did a new pan/filter/flush and still have a bit of an issue with that, otherwise trans is fine. Still feathering throttle but wouldn't mind using the firmware if it will extend the life of the tranny or reduce wear. If you are using it let me know what you think!

Cheers

Old 02-18-2016, 07:31 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a Google search for IID, LR3, California Stop and you'll find multiple threads from various forums. This response is concise and has the contact info for GAP. https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...top-bug-73663/

Their rep responded immediately, fix was easy, and it worked for me as advertised. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
DavC (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

I have the updated firmware from GAP. Don't know how much of a difference there really was, but I think there was some improvement. Hard to tell because I did a bunch of things as once. I can definitely tell you that it likes to hang around in 2nd gear much longer now when you come to a "stop". Whether that's good or bad probably depends on your driving style.

DavC (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ahh yes, cmb6s it was you I recall having this.

You did a pan/filter/flush and then got the firmware, right? Honestly I'd be okay with it hanging around if it reduces the clunking. How did you get the firmware? From patrick?

Old 02-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes, I got the firmware direct from one of the GAP guys... honestly can't remember if it was Patrick offhand, but probably was.

I wasn't quite so ambitious to do the pan and filter, but had recently had it done under a previous owner's CarMax warranty when I first bought the car anyway. The mechatronics sleeve had started to leak, so they had to drop the pan anyway and I figured I'd shell out the parts $$$ for them to go ahead and replace the pan and filter at that point since labor was being covered anyway. Unfortunately, they didn't replace all of the fluid at that point even though I asked them to (when they heard me say "all the fluid", they took it to mean "just the fluid that is in the pan"). So... fast forward 20k miles or so and I figured it was about time to change out all of the tranny fluid. I did it by disconnecting the two tranny lines into the radiator and feeding one line with fluid while capturing the old fluid from the other line.

At the time, I went ahead and reset the shift adaptation values as well and updated the tranny software.

Might as well give the software a try and see if it makes a difference for you. If you don't like it, you can always go back.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

BTW, I don't know how long it's been since you've changed your transfer case fluid, but I noticed a big difference with regards to the "California Stop Bug" when I changed mine. you might want to give that a shot as well. It's pretty quick and easy and relatively cheap.

DavC (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Good info, thanks. I had the dealer reset the adaptation values too, and it did make a difference. I was just thinking I'd do this to try and prolong the life since this should be a long-term build. Ooooh on the fluid thing. Guessing it wasn't too low to cause damage?

Hmm... it has been almost 20k since I did t-case. Is that on the same interval as the diffs? IIRC it was every ~40-50k?

Old 02-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I've been thinking about this transfer case fluid, and I wonder if it causes a couple of problems... first off my reasoning behind it: The fluid is "special" because it has friction modifiers in it that allow the variable lockup clutches inside to slip. I've heard that dealerships have "fixed" transfer case "problems" on LR3 by replacing the "wrong" fluid with the right fluid. Problems like tires barking going around corners and the like, I think.

So this makes me wonder if the FM breaks down or wears out over time, and this could be causing the California stop bug, because the transfer case is slightly wound up.

It also makes me wonder if this old fluid could be causing the problem some people have of the traction control going crazy when cornering too hard in a LR3.

I haven't been driving my LR3 recently, I need to get the suspension all squared away, but if I have either of these problems, I think the first thing I do will be to replace the transfer case fluid and see what happens.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb6s
I can definitely tell you that it likes to hang around in 2nd gear much longer now when you come to a "stop".
After getting the software update to fix the CA stop bug years ago, I noticed as well that while coming to a stop, using Command Shift, the LR3 will go from 2 to 1 when selected, but then immediately go back into 2...I chalked this up as part of the software change.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by houm_wa
After getting the software update to fix the CA stop bug years ago, I noticed as well that while coming to a stop, using Command Shift, the LR3 will go from 2 to 1 when selected, but then immediately go back into 2...I chalked this up as part of the software change.
That I am led to believe is normal behavior. I have gotten the tranny to fault by command shifting down into 1st gear when slowing down. In this case it was on a hill and it didn't appear to like the speed I was travelling at so it would go down to 1st and then shift up again immediately to 2nd. If you do it enough times it will throw a fault and force you to restart the vehicle.... ask me how I know

How slow was this? right before a light or something? Once stopped are you able to proceed in 1st gear?

Quick Reply: GAP trans firmware