LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Everyone!

Hey everyine, im new to the forums and to LR. Im looking for a new car and i decided to go for a SUV, crazy i know ;-) haha anways ive been looking at the V8 Touareg, Cayenne and then i remeberedthe LR3. Im 21 and i just moved to CT, so i wanted a car that can handle long drives and a lot of winter/snow driving.. i love the snow.. Ive read a good amount about the issues with this car but it seems that getting a 06 id be fine because things should be fixed by dealers by now. So im wondering....

How is insurence (im guessing less then a porsche right)?
Is maitnence costs equivelent to european cars?

I have a Audi and i know how costly it can be to fix them... 2k for a timing belt/ water pump change.

Thanks guys!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hey Everyone!

Well if you got an 06 with less than 50k miles it'd still be under warranty and I believe land rover gives you the option of extending it... although I am not completely sure. Land Rovers are excellent vehicles that require preventive maintenance. Most of the time people will buy a LR used from a dealership that has been abused while it was under lease and did not get the service and attention it required. So you may encounter a few issues from time to time. The LR3s powertrain is very solid but, it does have some pretty weird electrical quirks that show up form time to time. I currently have a Jaguar with the same engine as the Lr3 and I will tell you it is a VERY solid engine. The jag has been extremely reliable and in my opinion has been more reliable than my friends honda accord...(even though he thinks thats not true). The Lr3 much like the jag will have some random things happen. For instance air suspension fault appears on the screen of the jag about every month or so and isn't because of a broken part or something that needs to be replaced... its just one of the 30 or so onboard computers having an error. Often times restarting the car will resolve these issues entirely but, not always. When the LR3 first came out, it still had software that would be considered in my opinion, experimental. So the LR3 had check engine lights and faults all the time, even though there was nothing actually wrong. Often times this would result in the whole car refusing to start and a few other head aches. Eventually Land Rover made a software and hardware updates, replacing all of the parts that seem to be causing these malfunctions which in turn led to a much more reliable electrical system with a much more stable software backing it. But, that doesn't mean it won't have the occasional problem. For the most part just take care of it, go easy on it, and if you treat it well, it will treat you well. But, be prepared for the first 3 months of ownership, often times that is when all the problems will show up but, after they are worked out it will become a GREAT vehicle. But, you may not expereience any problems in the first few months at all provided, the previous owner did in fact take care of it. At any rate there aren't any vehicles out there that can compare to rovers and they truely are a unique car but, in my opinion not for everyone. It looks like you've done a fair amount of research on the vehicle and can appreciate how truely advanced it really is. My advice is to get an 06 with an extended warranty because, nothing feels better than the piece of mind knowing that if your LR3 does have an issue, you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it. As for snow driving, you aren't going to find a better car for it and they are extremely comfortable on road trips. If you have not test driven one, you probably should because, that will tell you if the car is really for you or not. Judging a car off of appearence is not always the way to go. But, keep researching, you will find something new about it every day. Here is a link that will let you know more about the vehicle. They are instructional videos for the owner but, they go into depth of the features of the vehicle: http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Ow...nal_videos.htm Enjoy and good luck!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot LRScott, very good information.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Cayenne and Touareg (spelling?)variations are nice. But let's be realistic, anything over 75mph in the US is illegal. So when all things are considered, the LR3 can do anything the other two can do, plus a lot of other things the competition can't. It wont break any 0 to 60 records nor will it beat any slalom courses record either, but it is plenty fast and surprisingly nimble for a 2 1/2 ton truck and still manages to turn 20 MPG with4 wheel drive system engaged full time. How many other full sizeSUVs with REAL sitting for 7 adults can say that?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ins is not to bad run a progressive quote, I would get one with a warrante and get an ext. warr. the repairs are exp but they are ont the vw and porshe I love my LR3 and will buy another when I am done with this one unless I find somthing better but I doubt that will happen. check discout wholesalers like luxury motors texas cars direct ect I saved a ton on mine that way last year. Paid less than trade in. My brother climes he sees some sweet deals at redmountainrovers i think they are in alabama but you get the idea their are a bunch of them out there now