LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Crap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Holy Crap!!!

I just changed the oil in the LR3. Also did a power steering fluid flush. Used royal purple and a wix filter (couldn't get a K&N today) and added a bit of Lucas synthetic. Did everything right, I think, but drove it around and check engine light is on and I saw a bit of smoke in the headlights. Scared. Refuse to drive. Help.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Wix is a better filter than K&N. And cheaper.
the smoke is probably spilled oil or PS fluid. No idea on the CEL.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by antichrist
Wix is a better filter than K&N. And cheaper.
the smoke is probably spilled oil or PS fluid. No idea on the CEL.
I have heard a lot about filters since I've been here. Most people said K&N is the best and then others say Wix makes their filters. I feel better knowing Wix is quality. Quite possible on the spilled oil idea. That old PS fluid went everywhere. The Lr3 makes me nervous sometimes. So when I see a check enginight and a bit of smoke, it freaks me out a bit. thank you

Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Check your oil cap and as well as dipstick for , if they are loose , they will cause a vacuum leak and CEL.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Nov15
I have heard a lot about filters since I've been here. Most people said K&N is the best and then others say Wix makes their filters.
No, Wix doesn't make K&N. K&N are made by, IIRC, Champion labs.
not that K&N are bad, just not a good value.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Agree. K&N are quality filters. I believe they pretty much the same filter as Mobil 1 filters, but the K&N tend to have a hex bolt on the front to make removal a little easier. Internal construction is the same though (at least that used to be the case). Regardless, WIX definitely makes quality filters as well. I tend to use Mobil 1 or Bosch, though with the LR3, I've started to use Cooper.

As far as the CEL... There's always a chance you knocked something loose, but I would definitely go back and check your oil level again. I have a hard time with this engine for some reason and always tend to overfill it. :P

Old 07-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Baja

Don't use Bosch or Cooper, both have a bad design, the pressure relief bypass are on the dome end so if it opens all the oil is flowing over the crud stuck to the filter media.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cmb6s
Agree. K&N are quality filters. I believe they pretty much the same filter as Mobil 1 filters, but the K&N tend to have a hex bolt on the front to make removal a little easier. Internal construction is the same though (at least that used to be the case). Regardless, WIX definitely makes quality filters as well. I tend to use Mobil 1 or Bosch, though with the LR3, I've started to use Cooper.

As far as the CEL... There's always a chance you knocked something loose, but I would definitely go back and check your oil level again. I have a hard time with this engine for some reason and always tend to overfill it. :P
Does an overfill cause a CEL?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Hmm, I seem to remember that the vast majority of the filters were built with the bypass on the dome end and it was hard to find ones that were not built that way. The main reason I use them is because I think they were relatively large and had a lot of surface area and I tend to wait until 7,500-10,000 miles to change oil. What do you recommend for the LR3?

As far as the check engine light, I wouldn't think it would cause one generally, but I suppose if it was significantly overfilled, it might trigger one due to a high crankcase pressure. Just a guess though... no factual evidence to back it up. The only way you'll know why that light comes on is to get the codes read. If you don't have a code reader, bite the bullet and buy one (I love my IID Tool). The sooner you buy one, the sooner it will start paying dividends.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I use K&N since almost the beginning and have no problems related to using it for a long run. I changeful every 3000 to 3500 miles and I am now at 170 000 trouble free miles with LR3.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap!!!