LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoping its not too serious

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoping its not too serious

Here is my problem. I have a 2006 LR3 Base Model. Recently I have been experienced some different problems which include: an antifreeze leak that can't be located. I changed the cap and it solved a little bit of the problem, but not all of it. The following error codes: P0313, P0303, P0480, and P0316. Now every once in a while, the truck will run in the reduced performance mode. Also and what is really worrying me, is the shifting of the truck. There are times that the truck will not go over 50mph and won't shift past third or fourth. Or it will shift at a higher than normal RPM. I can pull over to the side, shut the truck off and restart and everything will be fine. This is happening more frequently. I have no idea where to start with this problem. One other thing that I have noticed, on occasion when I put the gear shift into D, the truck won't move, I have to push harder back on the gear shift. Can someone please help. I am willing to take or make a phone call to have someone walk me through this.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I assume you have the V6 model? How many miles does it have on it? When was the last time you had a tune up done? Regular service? More info is needed before getting started.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the last time the battery was changed?

Old 02-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Overlanding

Yes it is the V6 model with 85000 miles. I just purchased it from the dealer when it had 67000 less than a year ago. I have given it oil changes, and replaced the filter. This weekend, I will be doing the spark plugs and wires, as well as the brakes. Battery has never been changed by me, but the onboard battery light comes on at random times. Took that to the dealer. They said battery and alternator are good.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Winching

Did this problem start when the weather got cold? Cold temps zap batteries and render them useless even if they pass a charge/discharge test.

Other than low voltage, it could be an XYZ switch failure. I'm not sure if these can be removed and cleaned as they can on a DII. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Also, is an amber or red brake warning light on? That could shed more light on what's going on.

If you have a multimeter, hook it directly to the battery and watch the voltage readout while you turn the engine over. If the voltage drops significantly (from around 12.X to 9.X or so), replace the battery. If its not the problem, it will be soon enough.

Last edited by willrok13; 02-08-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Overlanding

The battery light has been coming on and off since I purchased the vehicle 8 months ago. The brake light was amber, but the brakes today and I changed the light is gone now. I changed the spark plugs and wires today. I disconnected the battery while I was doing it, so the check engine light is now off. I would like to figure out the whole not shifting occasionally or going over 50. That is my major concern now.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Winching

Can the vehicle be driven using the manual feature (Commandshift)? Will it reach 50 mph when manually shifting through gears? Has a message "Trans. Failsafe" come up?

Read this from the LR3 Shop Manual:

Default (Limp Home) Mode

If a transmission fault is detected by the TCM, the TCM adopts a limp home mode strategy. 'TRANS. FAILSAFE' is displayed in the message centre and, if the fault has an effect on engine emissions, the MIL will also be illuminated.

In default mode, P, R and N functions operate normally (if the fault allows these selections) and the TCM locks the transmission in 3rd or 5th gear to allow the driver to take the vehicle to the nearest dealer. The torque converter lock-up clutch is disabled and reverse lock-out will not function.

If the vehicle is stopped and subsequently restarted in the default mode condition, the TCM operates normally until the fault which caused the condition is detected again.
When limp home mode is active, the gear position indicator will show one of the following letters which defines the fault type:

'F' - transmission is operating in limp home mode
'H' - transmission has reached overheat threshold temperature and transmission is operating in limp home mode 'E' - CAN bus is off and transmission is operating in limp home mode.

If electrical power is lost and the transmission is operating in mechanical limp home mode, the selector lever will not be locked in the 'N' position by the shift interlock solenoid. The lever will be locked in the 'P' position and can only be released by using the interlock emergency release lever or by correcting the electrical fault.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You mention you have a coolant leak. You have not identified where the leak is. Is it possible it is leaking into the transmission fluid. Have you inspected/change the thermostat / crossover? Plastic T's in the coolant lines.

I would say you might want to consider getting a sample of the transmission fluid tested, and perhaps the coolant as well.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Overlanding

Please excuse my ignorance, but how would antifreeze enter the transmission fluid? I don't see in the drawings where this could happen. Also my display is not reading trans in limp mode. It just randomly does it.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Winching

Yeah, I'm not following that either. Engine oil maybe, but the tranny? Maybe a transmission cooler leak from the radiator somehow? That would be one he!! of a leak.

For the record, how much coolant are you losing/lost? Remove the engine cover (4 screws and oil fill cap on the V8, not sure on the V6 but probably similar) and check the black plastic thermostat housing. That's a usual suspect. Also, per another post, if it fails it will cook the motor.

Also, remove the small access panel in the front drivers wheel well (4 plastic rivets over bottom hose of radiator) and check for traces of coolant. There is (should be, some just remove it) a plastic bleeder cap just over the thermostat housing. It starts to leak and collects by that cover. Falcon works sells a brass replacement for the bleeder, but I made one with brass parts from lowes.

Last edited by willrok13; 02-08-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Hoping its not too serious