LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ladder frame

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ladder frame

hello,
I noticed an oil leak under my discovery 3 2006 2.7 tdv6 , I took off all of the under guards and washed all of the sludge caused by the leak trying to locate where the leak is coming from at first I thought it might be the front crank seal but after visually looking at it , it seemed dry. now that the engine is all clean I was able to see that the oil was leaking from between the engine block and the ladder frame, my question is will I be able to drop the ladder frame without having to disassemble the front driveshaft which is straight under the ladder frame, has anyone ever disassembled the ladder frame.
thank you

Old 11-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default just lift the body off

The attached jpg is the accepted procedure in the UK for anything other than minor work.

I might at that before one scoffs at the idea, this is now Ford's procedure when working on their new pickups.

This application of LR procedures to current Ford production is just another example of where Ford was using LR as their test mule for ideas to be incorporated into future mass production vehicles.

Look at the exhaust systems of many of the Ford cars such as the Edge and Escape' you will see our LR layout at the rear. The interior/seats of the early Ford Flex vehicles were right out of the 3.

For the most part, the LR frame is welded and cannot be disassembled - hence the hoist solution.

Welcome to the forum and let us know how you proceeded - that is how we all learn.

Attached Thumbnails ladder frame-d3-body-lifted-rear-view-e9bb4598.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 07:50 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you bbyer,

I think you misunderstood me in regards to the ladder frame , the ladder frame im referring to is the one that is mounted to the bottom of the engine block to strengthen the engine structure, it is located in between the engine block and the oil pan. please see attached pics

Attached Thumbnails ladder frame-engine-description-operation.jpg   ladder frame-engine-description-operation1.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

IF the clearence is anything like the v8 gas you probly need to remove the front cv axles and diff assembly as if you were pulling the engine imo