LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak cause discovered. Now what

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 04:38 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leak cause discovered. Now what

So - annoying leak came back with the heavy rains ....I had enough.

I just happened to see this as I was poking around - pulled the battery out and found water up to the control module (see pic). It's getting in somehow and then not being able to escape.

How to fix and what is the cause?

Old 11-18-2020, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Warped cowl.

Replacement is easy, pop off the a pillar covers and wiper arms then pull it up. Just held on with push clips.

Atlantic British sells them for only $108, comes with new clips. Get new pillar clips too.

All in its a 30 min job.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:21 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Blackngold77
Warped cowl.

Replacement is easy, pop off the a pillar covers and wiper arms then pull it up. Just held on with push clips.

Atlantic British sells them for only $108, comes with new clips. Get new pillar clips too.

All in its a 30 min job.

that’s it? I have a hard time believing that this was caused by a warped cowl....

Old 11-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Philip Chan
that’s it? I have a hard time believing that this was caused by a warped cowl....
Warped cowl lets water get directly into the engine bay from above onto the battery and junction box

Check your cabin filter, it's probably wet as water also gets into it from that leak

Old 11-18-2020, 08:20 PM
Mudding

Cabin filter is bone dry.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Easy way to check the cowl is pop the hood and run water on your windshield

Old 11-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Usually its the engine bay seal that lets water get there, not the cowl. The cowl by design lets water into it - hence the honeycomb holes all over it. The issue with water down there is when the engine bay to hood seal shrinks and pulls away in the back corners. You have to trim the seal near the radiator supports so it can pull back further to seal up the corners. Also there should be a drain down there, its clogged.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:50 PM
Mudding

Leak cause maybe not...

I went out to check on the truck and there is water again - not as much as before but still enough to collected in the lowest point.

There is something still leaking from (picture below). it trickles down. What is behind here and what could be leaking into it? Does anyone have a schematic/drawing of the frame/area ? How can I take this area easily apart to check?

Is there a seal from the engine bay? Seam seal that has come apart?

Also, the drain in the back of the battery casing - where is it? I poked around and couldn't feel a thing...

Sigh

Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

If your engine bay "pocket" is filling up, then water can certainly get in via the fuel box harness which goes through the firewall.

You may want to unbolt the fuse box and pull the battery tray. A bit of work, not hard at all though. Then you will get a clear view of the area and where water goes.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:59 PM
Mudding

Thanks. I will try that tomorrow.

My fear is that it's coming in from somewhere that I can't see. But I KNOW it's coming in from behind that foam - and only that one side (closest to the door) as the other side is bone dry (closest to the centre). It would be useful if, somehow, I can see what is above there - there are only a certain amount of places. Perhaps it's the well as you have said, in which case I will remove.

It's going to rain all week, so apart for getting soaked, at least there is the ability to see where the water is going. I just wish I didn't get wet doing it...lol..

Quick Reply: Leak cause discovered. Now what