LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for LR3 rebuild/restore shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 11:38 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking for LR3 rebuild/restore shop

Last Feb I upgraded my Disco 1 to a 2008 LR3 HSE (160k miles) and haven't looked back since. Sure, I do miss the D1's rugged build (especially built in rain gutter rails above windows), but the LR3 has increased my driving/exploring meter significantly! I love the styling and confidence it gives me going from on road work/dad destinations to off road fishing spots and ski trails in PNW. I was just out in the N. Cascades chasing salmon and had to joyfully use 3/5 terrain modes to navigate. Was fun catching a couple Cohos also Now with 189k miles on the 4.4 v8, I'm starting to envision a couple paths forward: 1. trade LR3 in for a new tundra twin-t v6 (rented one 3 weeks ago and was quite impressed), but bite bullet on very $$$ costs while giving up the LR3s dominant versatility on / off road, or 2. find a shop that can rebuild/restore exterior/interior for many more years of use. Honestly, I'd rather spend $15-20k restoring and updating LR3 but need help from anyone who's attempted modernizing this vintage. What would LR3 need rebuilt/restored to last another 10 years? new engine (at some point), air suspensions, paint, radio with carplay, etc? How long will the 4x4 terrain modes last? This may be a pipe dream but thought I post to this well-informed group. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2022, 05:22 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you trade it you'll get $1000 if you're lucky. 189K miles is nothing for the 4.4 and I wouldn't be super concerned with it. If you are going to pay someone to do the work, you'll pay through the nose. You should do it yourself if you can. If you can't, you're probably driving the wrong vehicle and I'd go buy a new Toyota.

The following users liked this post:
Dai20bt (10-17-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 07:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Why not buy a clean LR3? You can still find them with straight bodies and nice interiors, and that would be much cheaper than restoring one. If it’s been maintained well through its life, you could expect 250-300k on the drivetrain, maybe more. I know of several owners with > 250k and one with 300k.

Dai20bt (10-17-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 10:50 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

What specifically needs to be done right now? I'm also in the Pacific NW (Mt. Hood corridor area). I also have an LR3. Happy to help on projects if you need. Wrapping up a few house projects at the moment, and then can switch over to car stuff, both for myself and for the business.

Have you addressed any water intrusion points yet, or at least checked them out? A good thing to do before our rainy season returns.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:11 AM
Drifting

Nothing major wrong with LR3 now. Mostly cosmetic stuff like needing new grille, clips for mouldings, sagging roof liner, paint. But reading through all major replacements that will inevitably be needed (suspension, cooling hoses, control arms, timing chains, etc), thinking it would be better value to upgrade these for many more years of use bs paying current truck prices. Great to hear of many driving these north of 200k. That’s pretty awesome. I think I’ll get estimates on some work to get better idea. Timing chain estimate from one shop was $4k.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Timing chains? You're thinking LR4 for that.

For your LR3, you'll eventually need new shocks, maybe a compressor, control arms....and then just making sure your engine and tranny are maintained. I don't see $15-20k being needed! More like $5-7k.

The following 2 users liked this post by houm_wa:
Dai20bt (10-17-2022), SeattleDriver (10-18-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 12:43 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with houm_wa. Based on feedback here I wouldn't preemtpively go after the timing chain. Coolant hoses, water pump, suspension/steering, sure. I just did an oil analysis on my 4.4 with 152k miles and other than a little more iron than expected everything looked good. Zero gas content, zero coolant content. The transmissions are pretty good ZF units as well, and rebuilding the mechatronics sleeves, solenoids, and seals isn't too difficult. I did it on my 2012 7 series that uses basically the same ZF6 transmission. It took about $600 in parts and a day's effort.

Dai20bt (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Interesting comment on preemptively replacing timing chain. I just did that last April on my 2015 vw sportwagen tdi super commuter (208k miles), nothing wrong but wanted to put new one in there so this amazing car can go another 200k. Last week, I hear the engine rattling louder than usual. Take it back to local vw shop, they informed me I had already exceeded 12 mth/12k warranty (i added 20k ). They found the cam sprocket bolt had threaded loose and came out. It was causing the rattle and made a groove in the timing belt. Been wondering if it's ever helpful to get ahead of timing chains/belts since. So I get a bill for $825. I'm not fully convinced that this was not related to their April work on replacing timing belt but not interested in fighting. Back to this thread: If in 15 years, I'm still walking out to the parking lot to the LR3, I'd still be smiling ear to ear ready to get in and drive. In pursuit of this, just wondering if there's anything needing attention before it breaks down. I'm finding more info on upgrading the radio to carplay capabilities, so that's fun. What about the terrain modes? I just used rock crawl/ mud and ruts for the first time last week while fishing. Very cool! Will this system need replacement soon?

Old 10-17-2022, 08:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Timing chains? You're thinking LR4 for that.

For your LR3, you'll eventually need new shocks, maybe a compressor, control arms....and then just making sure your engine and tranny are maintained. I don't see $15-20k being needed! More like $5-7k.
The petrol V6 needs chains replaced before they go bang.

Dai20bt (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dai20bt
Interesting comment on preemptively replacing timing chain. I just did that last April on my 2015 vw sportwagen tdi super commuter (208k miles), nothing wrong but wanted to put new one in there so this amazing car can go another 200k. Last week, I hear the engine rattling louder than usual. Take it back to local vw shop, they informed me I had already exceeded 12 mth/12k warranty (i added 20k ). They found the cam sprocket bolt had threaded loose and came out. It was causing the rattle and made a groove in the timing belt. Been wondering if it's ever helpful to get ahead of timing chains/belts since. So I get a bill for $825. I'm not fully convinced that this was not related to their April work on replacing timing belt but not interested in fighting. Back to this thread: If in 15 years, I'm still walking out to the parking lot to the LR3, I'd still be smiling ear to ear ready to get in and drive. In pursuit of this, just wondering if there's anything needing attention before it breaks down. I'm finding more info on upgrading the radio to carplay capabilities, so that's fun. What about the terrain modes? I just used rock crawl/ mud and ruts for the first time last week while fishing. Very cool! Will this system need replacement soon?
Terrain response system isn't one unit, just computer programs based on sensor readings from the different units.

Dai20bt (10-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Looking for LR3 rebuild/restore shop