LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud noise when driving=big money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:17 AM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loud noise when driving=big money?

I am afraid....afraid to take my Rove to the dealer to see what the big noise coming from the drivetrain or transmission is. On top of needing new tires all the way around this month...now this.

Symptoms: Sounds like the car is in overdrive or low gear...loud noise when driving in front end. Rpms are appropriate, noise is consistent while shifted into neutral while underway. Sound and feel is very like when the downhill descent kicks in.....ramped up noise and when stopping the wind-down is very loud and distinguished.

Help....! What the hell is it? Going to dealership next week I guess....no one in town will work on it. Performance does not seem hindered....gas mileage per computer seems the same though I wonder....because the vehicle always sounds "ramped up". Strangely enough....when driving and turning to the left the noise stops. Any chance some sort of front wheel drive overdrive solenoid on right side has locked on?

Any advice or history appreciated before the bleeding begins......

Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is yor LR3? How many miles do you have on it? Did the noise gradually build up or did it just start out very noisy one day?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Noise changing when turning to the left or right is typically associated with the differential bearings going out. They can be rebuilt. If you want to see some pictures you can check out my gallery. DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - DIII Locking Diff

Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 PM
8th Gear
Default Update on noise

Thanks for the replies...this may be helpful:
2006 LR3 with 130,000 miles on it
Noise is pretty constant when driving. When shifting in neutral while underway the noise is unchanged. It does it when driving straight or turning to the right, but oddly not when I turn to the left.

When stopping it sounds like it is in four wheel drive or hill descent control or something....like it is being held up somewhat, as if I had downshifted to a low gear and was letting the gear stop me. But again, rpms are correct.

Thanks

Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It's exactly the problem I had. Rear diff was the worst. The rear diff had rust, and water contamination, despite the fluid having been alleged to be changed by the dealer 15-20k earlier.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by aljameela
Thanks for the replies...this may be helpful:
2006 LR3 with 130,000 miles on it
Noise is pretty constant when driving. When shifting in neutral while underway the noise is unchanged. It does it when driving straight or turning to the right, but oddly not when I turn to the left.

When stopping it sounds like it is in four wheel drive or hill descent control or something....like it is being held up somewhat, as if I had downshifted to a low gear and was letting the gear stop me. But again, rpms are correct.

Thanks
Your truck is full time four wheel drive, so it is always in 4x4 "mode".
This def sounds like a front diff issue, when was the last time the fluid in it was changed?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
5th Gear
Default 2006 LR3 HSE w/65,000 Transmission Issues

I have 2006 LR3 HSE and 2 times in the past week seems like the transmission is slipping. When I came to a complete stop and then went to hit the gas, it seemed like it didnt want to go for a few seconds. The last time I even notice that the screen that tells you if your in P R N D showed nothing and then when it started to move the D appeared. Anyone with a similiar stituation. I took it to a mechanic already but the check engine lightwas not on and has never gone on but they check the Transmission Computer and no message. They also took it for a ride and all seems well.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The gear shift linkage is probably fouled up. I believe it can be either cleaned or replaced and adjusted. This does not sound like a major problem.

Have a look through this thread, and then have a look, see what yours looks like... that is a good place to start.. report back your findings.

new lift rods available, mention TT01 for any order for a discount.

D3 / 4 Lift Kits - GN Vehicle Protection

PM me for diff parts

The following users liked this post:
Athana (09-01-2022)
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aljameela
I am afraid....afraid to take my Rove to the dealer to see what the big noise coming from the drivetrain or transmission is. On top of needing new tires all the way around this month...now this.

Symptoms: Sounds like the car is in overdrive or low gear...loud noise when driving in front end. Rpms are appropriate, noise is consistent while shifted into neutral while underway. Sound and feel is very like when the downhill descent kicks in.....ramped up noise and when stopping the wind-down is very loud and distinguished.

Help....! What the hell is it? Going to dealership next week I guess....no one in town will work on it. Performance does not seem hindered....gas mileage per computer seems the same though I wonder....because the vehicle always sounds "ramped up". Strangely enough....when driving and turning to the left the noise stops. Any chance some sort of front wheel drive overdrive solenoid on right side has locked on?

Any advice or history appreciated before the bleeding begins......
Front diff for sure.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 AM
8th Gear
Default Problem fixed

Turns out it was the right front wheel bearing. $450 and I am back in business. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

The following users liked this post:
Athana (09-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Loud noise when driving=big money?