LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3 4.0 v6 2006

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 01:26 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lr3 4.0 v6 2006

Hi everyone

If been lurking around and reading posts similar to mine, but nothing is working. Heres my issue:

Had work done on my lr3 and drove for about 150km. Everything was fine, expect my compressor pump.

I knew my battery had said goodbye, so got a new one. Still no issues.

So i wanted to get the car off the ground and normal ride height ( disconnected the pressure feed and used a normal air compressor to send air.) I know what you are thinking... but it worked. Disconnected the compressor pump( Still had the orange warning light)

Switched off the car and went home. Following morningmogot in the car, wanted to take it for a test drive and then... nothing.

Now suddenly a red suspension warning light (cannot communicate with air module) lights on, fuel pump IS running, cranks and thats it. It does not start. Good fuel pressure. So got my diagnostics out and got misfires on all 6 cylinders. Anyway, pulled cylinder 1 spark plug, turned the key. Here it gets interesting. It sparks ONCE, then nothing. While the other cylinders have no spark.

Crank sensor ok, camshaft ok, fuel pressure ok. Only have high speed can communication error. Will this error stop the ignition?

Cheers

Old 11-20-2020, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Ok we are talking electrical here. Firstly check battery voltage should be around 12.8 volts, if not then you need to charge battery. Where did you connect the compressor to? You could try the reset, that is that you disconnect the battery and then short the two leads together for about 1 minute. Reconnect and then try again.

Old 11-21-2020, 02:04 AM
5th Gear

Air compressor was connected as it should be. Only disconnected the air pressure hose to the air system and hooked up a normal compressor. It worked. But yesterday, and ran diagnostics and fixed the suspension error.

Battery is brand new. 12.8V. Tested and everything. Battery did work on the lr3.

Qent through fuses at the bettery end and under glovebox. All fuses are ok.

Disconnected the immobiliser battery and then engine does not even crank. So its definitely not immobiliser issue. Checked all ground to coils and no issues.

Next step for me is checking engine timing. Series 2, if timing is out, engine will start and run rough, is this also the case with the lr3? Thats the only thing i can think of.

I am also getting a "Passive start ignition relay coil circuit - General electrical failure - circuit short to ground or open" code. Which leads me to believe it still might be a sensor.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:01 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you messed with or anyone previously has messed with the fuse box under the hood or in the glovebox before you do anything else, take the owners manual and check absolutely everything is where it should be and is working properly. Check the relays too. Do a hard reset.

Signs point to electrical issue so take care to go over everything you touched. If you can't find anything check the crankshaft position sensor.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Johan, the link https://blackbox-solutions.com/help/SM129.html has lots of information on the medium and high speed Discovery 3 (LR3) CAN busses, the high speed one as far as I'm aware, if defective will not allow the vehicle to start...

Old 12-14-2020, 06:00 AM
5th Gear

Hi everyone. Well I got an update on my lr3.

Timing chain snapped. I think this is the reason for my problem. Will update asap

Old 12-14-2020, 10:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Well that is a bummer, you can use Ford Cologne V6 parts to replace your internal Cologne V6 Land Rover parts though, which likely are much less expensive...

EDIT: Of course, you should pull the engine because the pistons and valves have likely collided, causing some serious internal damage, I know this from personal experience...

Last edited by enb54; 12-14-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I am confused, how did we go from a cranking engine to a broken timing chain (they are metal). If timing belt is broken engine will not turn over.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Globetrotter448
I am confused, how did we go from a cranking engine to a broken timing chain (they are metal). If timing belt is broken engine will not turn over.
It does sound strange, but the previous owner of mine told me it would crank over so I imagine the valves kept hitting the pistons, the valves were pretty bent when we removed the engine and had a look...

Old 12-16-2020, 09:59 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

So... are you rebuilding it? Some of us would sincerely appreciate a write up and pics of what you're doing. Detailed inner engine guidance is rare for the V6.

Quick Reply: Lr3 4.0 v6 2006