LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Gobi Roof Rack, looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 729 Likes on 611 Posts
Default LR3 Gobi Roof Rack, looking for feedback

Wanted a ProSpeed rack for its slim, low noise design coupled with versatility. But they are out of stock and production at this time. So my next go-to may end up being a Gobi Rack. They actually seem like a better value with free shipping and a ladder included, which is nice. But they produce three versions, two being the same - "stealth" racks just with a slightly different light setup. The other is a taller more traditional looking rack. With ProSpeed there was only one design. So since Gobi has two I am wondering if anyone has installed one and what they like/dislike about it if anything. Particularly, if you went stealth do you feel you should have gone full? And how sturdy is the ladder? Pics would be cool too. Thanks for any input.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,268 Likes on 1,675 Posts

No experience with the GOBI Product line with LR's, but I had a stealth rack on my 08 Hummer H3 Alpha along with a ladder and the quality was superb.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have Gobi Stealth. Love it. Took like a million years to get it (I think like 10 months) but it was worth the painful wait. I am happy I went slim....fits the lines of the rover better.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:07 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah... looks like Gobi may take a while. And I have sorta started my search for a rack from scratch again. Turns out ProSpeed and Front Runner have durability issues, mainly with coatings failing and rusting issues. Bad enough that they are common issues. I think Gobi holds up better, did not see any complains. But one brand kept coming up as having really well done coatings and durability, Voyager Racks. They have just a two week lead time, which is sooner than I event need it. So I am working on figuring shipping right now and if everting looks good I may just go with Voyager.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:38 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would like to hear more feedback on the Gobi as well!

Old 02-27-2020, 09:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

For what its worth, I've had zero issues with my Front Runner rack. It's mostly aluminum. I've seen a little rust on the fasteners but nothing major as I assembled everything with anti-seize. Lot's of moisture here in the PNW but no salt. Functionality-wise, love it. I have the shorter version which is fine for my needs and preserves the look of the Disco roof line better. My 2c.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Just placed an order with Gobi myself, 12-16 week wait. I ended up going with the ranger. I felt the higher walls would add an extra security for my needs. I also purchased the sunroof insert. Military and first responders get a hook up too. $100 bucks off or a free accessory.

Last edited by scoutrover13; 02-28-2020 at 02:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by scoutrover13:
DakotaTravler (02-28-2020), mmbirtcher (01-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2020, 01:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scoutrover13
Just placed an order with Gobi myself, 12-16 week wait. I ended up going with the ranger. I felt the higher walls would add an extra security for my needs. I also purchased the sunroof insert. Military and first respondents get a hook up too. $100 bucks off or a free accessory.
You’re going to love it! But be prepared for it to be much longer than their quoted time. I was told the same and it ended up ordered April, Delivered November.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:20 PM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Positive side. Gives me the time to figure out lights and wiring etc. I guess!

Old 05-27-2020, 05:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Now that some of the dust has settled and work is still strong for me I pulled the trigger on the Voyager rack. Not sure of the lead time, when I inquired originally it was two weeks. Went with the Off Road Challenge version. Its a low profile design that has some tabs to mount lights and such. Also some basic mount points for gear like a highlight jack, etc. I dont plan to have a ton up there, so I think it will work great for my needs. Also right now shipping was "free" (actually came up at $15) and the racks for the LR3/4 are on sale. So shipped to my door it was only 1,114 USD.

Quick Reply: LR3 Gobi Roof Rack, looking for feedback