LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Gobi Roof Rack, looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 10:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 729 Likes on 611 Posts

Annoying update time... So I did order a Voyager rack on May 26th. Early morning on June 23rd I decided to email says (with a copy of the order) to see what's up. I have not heard back since via email. On the evening of the 24th I messaged them on Facebook. Again I have yet to hear back. So on the 26th I called them. No answer at customer service so I called sales (prob same phone). No answer so I left a message.

Frankly if I dont hear back soon I will dispute the charge on my bank account (I used my debit card). Again with my initial inquiry I was told two weeks. That was before Covid really got going so I did wait a while before ordering. Its not that I need the rack now, I just want to know what is going on. But I would like it soon so I can get etc lights wired up, etc.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:39 PM
Camel Trophy

Of course now that I was getting rather annoyed with the lack of communication, I received two emails this morning about the rack being shipped. Expected delivery on the 6th of July. I still have no received a response to any of my communication attempts. Will start a new thread about this rack when it arrives.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:06 AM
Mudding
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Still waiting on the the Gobi. Today is 26 weeks and 1 day. They charged me on the 17th so it should be shipped by now and in route. So now I'm waiting on the freight company's phone call. I have not been impatient until now! I think I just hate not knowing where its at at the moment.
I have decided to go with Hella led 500 lights value fit. They are sitting and waiting almost as impatient as I am. LOL
As soon as it comes in and I get it fitted up I will post pics.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

....not trying to twist the knife; truly just want to say for the sake of others considering a rack:

I got the Baja Rack earlier than promised, they had great customer service, and the thing is well-built and engineered for the LR3. The install was not bad; took me and a buddy less than 2 hours.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:24 PM
Mudding

I knew when ordering my Gobi that there was a long wait time. I’ve had no complaints with that or the customer service honestly. I’ve always gotten through to someone and they have always been extremely nice. However I still do not understand why it takes so long unless they have one fitter and one welder. I work in structural steel fitting and welding. Granted it’s a different beast sure but I’ve seen huge 100+ ton buildings fabed faster. Lol but again I think I went with Gobi because I like the look of it, the floor is expanded metal and if I remember correctly it was not much of a different in cost after adding a ladder and accessories and shipping, but I really can’t remember.
I do think it’s awesome everyone on here with different racks for those that are looking to give their experience. I think that is a huge help for those looking to make such a big purchase.

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (08-28-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 06:54 PM
Camel Trophy

I should have went Gobi, or anything else. Hell, a rack made from potatoes would have been better. My dealings with Voyager have been incredibly sub-par. HUGE regrets.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Mudding

I hate to hear that. I’m sure if and when you get it you can run it for awhile. Order a Gobi and wait the 6 months for it. They do not charge you till it’s ready to ship. It’s not like you would have to sit on the cost for that 6 months. Then sell the voyager for almost what you have in it! Lol just a thought.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:06 PM
Mudding

Ok so I spoke with Gobi today [Alysa] and she had called the freight company for me. She had advised me that the freight company had told her to expect the rack this Friday thought Tuesday at the latest. She said that they have a deal worked out with their fright company's they use that if the trucks are not full that they with hold off on their item to make a full shipment. She was very apologetic and offered me another free accessory for the inconvenience and said she would ship it out asap to have it here before the rack gets here or as it does. So I ordered the ranger rack, ladder, cross bars, mounting hardware sun roof insert. For the cost of the rack and the insert. I should receive when its said and done that plus ax and shovel mount, awning mounts, the backpack and the travel bag for free.
All and all so far I feel as if the customer service very acceptable and I can't complain at all. Fingers Crossed!!

The following 3 users liked this post by scoutrover13:
DakotaTravler (09-02-2020), houm_wa (09-01-2020), mmbirtcher (05-27-2022)
Old 09-15-2020, 07:52 AM
Mudding

So rack is in and on. Lights mounted but not hooked up (waiting on some parts to install wires) 29 weeks and 1 day. Came in on Friday.
Install was rather easy apart form issues from the LR3 itself.
1. Ladder lower mounting bracket. (where the latch is located to open upper hatch) Those three bolts were seized up due to dissimilar metals. Looks like steel and copper/brass. I ended up having to remove the inner cover and gaining access to remove the whole bezel and JB welded the inserts back in. Once that was done it was no problem.
2. One of the mounting bolts in the roof top rail had apparently been removed and the torx had been stripped out. Had to drill that out and clean the threads out with a tap. That was pre-existing though.
That was about it. Like I said pretty straight forward.
Only other insight is the bolting of the rack to mounting brackets. I had a heck of a time due to lack of space between roof and underside of the rack. So my solution was tape and a box wrench to hold the nut while I got the bolt started.
I have read that the racks are pre-wired for lights. Mine was not but did have rubber plugs to run wires down tubes. Should be easy enough.
All and all looks good still waiting on a few things but she is coming together. I snapped a few quick picks, please excuse the mess!!

A pillar molding is missing. I broke one of the clips and waiting for replacement. I'm hoping to run wires under it.

Rear door latch bolts that were seized

The following 2 users liked this post by scoutrover13:
DakotaTravler (09-15-2020), mmbirtcher (05-27-2022)
Old 09-15-2020, 04:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts
Default Nice rack!!

...had to say it.

The following 2 users liked this post by houm_wa:
mmbirtcher (01-28-2021), scoutrover13 (09-15-2020)

Quick Reply: LR3 Gobi Roof Rack, looking for feedback