LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lr3 Limp mode and 2.5 inch rods

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 06:34 PM
Mudding
Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default lr3 Limp mode and 2.5 inch rods

Looking to learn more on "limp mode"

Is there different kind of limp mode ie transmission error only puts transmission related things in limp mode? Or is it a set parameters for all systems?

does suspension limp or universal limp mode ignore height sensors? does it fully deflate the air bags regardless? I heard pulling fuse #26 sets it at whatever height, is that true?

When I'm changing rods I notice the suspension reacting while I'm doing it even with a door open (engine off + key out of ignition). Is there anyway to prevent that besides disconnecting the battery?

I know the GAP tool will help a lot, but I already have 2 sets of rods. Plus having to change the rods force me to check everything underneath and I like a more manual approach to this. Makes little sense, but I want to try a different way.

Is there a overall manual for most/all repairs like the D2's RAVE for the LR3?

Still trying to learn more about the lr3 as my D2 knowledge doesn't transfer over well.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

...yes F26 will keep the EAS from doing it's thing. "Limp Mode" is a colloquialism for sure and may be an official term too, so I do think it comes in different varieties.

Get a GAP tool.

The following users liked this post:
rikkd (03-16-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 11:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Definitely different flavours depending on what system/s fail , all end in your **** on the bumpstops and either no forward motion or very little.

rikkd (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 07:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I think the manual uses the term “Fail Safe”. For the transmission that means locking forward gear in 3rd, shallow enough you can get going (slowly) but tall enough you can limp along at 30-35 mph, albeit at high rpm. Reverse and Park are still available, but the changes will be jerky since the TCM may not be talking to the ECU.

Engine has its own limp mode. EAS has its own. They generally should be independent, though a fail safe mode initiated by ANY module will pretty much prevent you from using Traction Control programs and perhaps Low Range.

rikkd (03-16-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 11:29 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by SeattleDriver
I think the manual uses the term “Fail Safe”. For the transmission that means locking forward gear in 3rd, shallow enough you can get going (slowly) but tall enough you can limp along at 30-35 mph, albeit at high rpm. Reverse and Park are still available, but the changes will be jerky since the TCM may not be talking to the ECU.

Engine has its own limp mode. EAS has its own. They generally should be independent, though a fail safe mode initiated by ANY module will pretty much prevent you from using Traction Control programs and perhaps Low Range.
I see, are they related to the codes present, and what does engine fail safe mode look like? I've yet to encounter it (knock on wood) but want to be prepared.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:11 PM
Camel Trophy

What are the codes present?

Old 03-16-2023, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes, if any module goes into fail safe/limp mode you are going to get dash lights and fault codes. Don’t count on being able to clear them. Don’t count on Fuse 26 and a GAP tool saving you from an EAS failure, it can fix some problems, but I’ve definitely had it come up short in my time of need. Luckily it was just a 10 mile drive home from the office. The best insurance policy is preventative maintenance, followed by a GAP tool, and then AAA and a credit card! 😅

I don’t know much about the engine limp mode, I suspect it’s like most other manufacturers’ —sluggish acceleration, revs limited to 2000rpm (maybe higher). Fortunately I don’t think it’s like modern engines that will only let you limp 50 miles before cutting power, I’ve read of people limping much further (for better or worse) in their LR3s. Keep in mind limp mode is intended to protect the drivetrain, so driving it while it’s in such a condition is risky.

I see now that you also asked about a shop manual. Yes, one exists for the L319. Do a forum search, someone shared a link to a hosted copy in just the last few weeks. It’s several GB of data, so you’ll have to grab it from outside the forum.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:15 PM
Camel Trophy

What happened to you such that the GAP + F26 didn't help????

Old 03-16-2023, 04:08 PM
Mudding

Oh I should've clarified this earlier. There are no codes or problems, just proactive research and problem solving. Knowing how I wheel I want to have a list of solutions to possible problem areas.

Old 03-16-2023, 04:12 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by SeattleDriver
Yes, if any module goes into fail safe/limp mode you are going to get dash lights and fault codes. Don’t count on being able to clear them. Don’t count on Fuse 26 and a GAP tool saving you from an EAS failure, it can fix some problems, but I’ve definitely had it come up short in my time of need. Luckily it was just a 10 mile drive home from the office. The best insurance policy is preventative maintenance, followed by a GAP tool, and then AAA and a credit card! 😅

I don’t know much about the engine limp mode, I suspect it’s like most other manufacturers’ —sluggish acceleration, revs limited to 2000rpm (maybe higher). Fortunately I don’t think it’s like modern engines that will only let you limp 50 miles before cutting power, I’ve read of people limping much further (for better or worse) in their LR3s. Keep in mind limp mode is intended to protect the drivetrain, so driving it while it’s in such a condition is risky.

I see now that you also asked about a shop manual. Yes, one exists for the L319. Do a forum search, someone shared a link to a hosted copy in just the last few weeks. It’s several GB of data, so you’ll have to grab it from outside the forum.

Oh I've definitely got my use out of AAA. In 2021 we had 3 LRs in the family towed once. Even from the driveway to a shop (brake caliber decided to fall apart and not wanting to risk it DIY at the time). Luckily credit card hasn't been used too much.... for a rover.

Quick Reply: lr3 Limp mode and 2.5 inch rods