LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Lower Control Arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 Lower Control Arm

I found some lower control arms online for pretty cheap at 1aauto.com. They seem legit. Have any of you purchased through here? Also, i am looking at making the change on the front lower control arms myself w/ new arms & the new hardware kit? Any issues you all have come across doing it yourself? I do plan to get the vehicle aligned after the work is done.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I typically stick with OEM parts, Are they OEM? Are they the most current version with the updated balljoints and bushings?

what's the price?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Are they the newer upgraded lower control arms?

Originally Posted by matt5963
I found some lower control arms online for pretty cheap at 1aauto.com. They seem legit. Have any of you purchased through here? Also, i am looking at making the change on the front lower control arms myself w/ new arms & the new hardware kit? Any issues you all have come across doing it yourself? I do plan to get the vehicle aligned after the work is done.
A few months back, rather than just replacing the ball joints, I had my local LR Dealer instead, replace both lower A Arms, (left LR028249, right LR028245). Also changed were some steering tie rods ends and both rear stabilizer bar rubber bushings, (part number LR015336).

My 2005 LR3 had at that time 127,000 km, (79,000 miles), on it and this was the first time for ball joints, (city type pavement driving and no intended off road).

I wanted the apparently newer improved design of the ball joints, (part number RBK500280), so all new A arm assemblies seemed the easiest method to achieve that goal. I therefore got new lower control arm bushings as a bonus.

In terms of labour, well flat rate does not yield any savings, but if you were to do the job yourself, buying the new assemblies is I think the route to go. Instead of much banging and cursing and then cutting the three bolts off that hold the assembly on so you can then press out the joint, (well if you have the LR special tool, maybe not so tough), you instead just plan on cutting the three bolts.

In practice, the dealer only had to cut one bolt on each side, (typical, always at least one), as the other two each side, properly unthreaded. Also with buying the complete assemblies, (plus 4 each of RDI000034 Bolt, RYF000203 Washer, FX116056 Nut, Flanged), you will then have all the needed parts instead of running around getting more bolts and bushings etc and more importantly, the job is now relatively straight forward – almost do it yourself, as most of you on the forum seem much more capable than I.

Yes, you will need a 4 wheel alignment, but that was in the plan anyway, as are new tyres.

There is also the view that a lower arm is only good for one replacement ball joint as there is some thought the hole can get distorted from repeated replacement. I am hoping to get closer to 200,000 km, (125,000 miles), out of these new ones - we will see, but the dealer says the new design seems to be holding up quite well. I might add that due to freeze thaw, our main paved roads are a moonscape of pot holes more so than any green lane track I have ever seen, and at least one does run a trail at +100 kph.

After a few months of driving, I am pleased to say that the 3 is now quieter inside, (less suspension banging and road noise from the pavement joints and pot holes coming thru), so at least that part of the plan has succeeded.

I also note that at least in the UK, the guys are now installing the lower control arms from the RRSport. Apparently the ball joint design is the same as the newer D3 ones above, but the bushings are the the upgraded ones as used on the armoured D3.

The link below is a 7 page discussion on the subject.

LOWER BALL JOINT ISSUES - Australian Land Rover Owners

Old 06-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You will find these videos entertaining and informative when trying to identify noises with the 3.

Just scroll on down the list of videos and you will find a bunch of them. Extremely entertaining especially if you turn on your sound.