LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 LR4 RRS DIII Differentials

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

So, what is available as a service parts for a front differential ?
I experience a whirling down deep sound when letting go of accelerator , especially driving around 30 MPH and decelerating , no change in sound while turning left or right .I could guess pre load bearings in diff, but I have to investigate further.
I had my wheel bearings/hubs changed last year for a SKF model and I don't think halfshaft makes this kind of noise , although I can feel it thru the drivers floor, like it is directly underneath .
I changed a whole set of front arms not so long a go along with tie rods links and air struts so this should be out of the question .The only thing, I wonder, did I screw a halfshaft, while inserting it back into the hub, could it really easy pup out of the diff slightly and damage the side diff bearings or did I possibly over torqued a halfshaft nut , by applying 300 Nm or so ?.I did not have that noise after the replacement and alignment for a while, it just happened recently. I am gonna look into diff fluid today , again , as I changed it 7000 miles a go, in fact , I was changing diff fluids every 30 000 miles and it was always clean, so no neglect here, in terms of not changing oils at all.
I wonder if this is just wear and tear on gears and bearings and at 152 000 it is expected,but if it is diff. bearings , a frequent fluid changed did NOT helped me much , I guess.
Tires are fine , as I just changed to a winter ones and noise persists with no change.

So what is available as far as parts and how much would be a new front Diff ?
Thanks.

Last edited by thorgal; 10-25-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Rear diffs for certain, front also I think.

Refer back to post #1 of this thread and send a PM to unseenone.

Per the link below, he has a warehouse full of solutions to your request. I am pretty certain that includes front diffs.

Also check out the link in his post - there is some interesting stuff there including the complete solution to any differential concerns a 3 owner might have.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Other Stuff/Irony

Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is the moisture situation with the updated breather?

Has anyone thought of installing an industrial gearbox desiccator?

Something like these, though I am sure there are less expensive options out there.
(Crap, can't see how to include a link on mobile site. Google "Delta Desiccant Silica gel breathers")

We use things like this at work on gearboxes and small ones last months in very humid environments. I work at a power plant.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Default dessicants and membranes

Is this the link your were looking for? https://www.deltaadsorbents.com/

Land Rover likes to do things differently. Instead of a desiccant to dry the air first, they try to keep the moisture molecules out by using a hydrophobic membrane with olephobic properties. The means the water is supposed to stay out and the oil in.

I expect the Delta guys are doing something much the same in combination with a desiccant but using a membrane not branded Gore Tex.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Breather Cap Front Differential installation

After all the air dryer problems, I expect LR is a bit turned off by desiccants turning to power.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Overlanding

We use disposable units at work to great effect so I was just curious because of the diff failures and moisture issues that I have read about.
Power plants (coal fired) are dirty, vibration heavy and in some areas very humid environments. Kind of like 4 wheeling. Just thought I would throw out an idea.

Desiccants have limited capacity and unless there is an automatic regeneration cycle they will require regular maintenance. I am not familiar with the compressor setup that LR uses, only that it is spendy and fails. I am new here and don't own a LR. Just trying to learn.

Last edited by lmj301; 01-04-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Default the air compressor dryer has automatic regeneration

That is about how I ended up with my 3. I had heard that they were unreliable, maintenance hogs and generally a bad idea. As such I started to go thru the forums just to find out how bad they really were.

Maintenance hogs, yes, but unreliable, well kind of, but also capable, as in nothing better if the primary requirement is capability.

I figured that James Bond driving about in his movies was just show stuff and English royalty, well they do not have much choice really; same for the Royal Army etc.

At the same time, a lot of foreign police agencies use them and the cost of Land Rovers is at the wrong end of any Police budget that I am aware of so one wonders just the same.

That then led me to wonder why a Land Rover is the ride of choice for the bad guys both in the movies and in real life - odd, again.

The more I read about Land Rover products, the more I found out about the alternatives and a funny thing, it seems like Land Rover owners are not afraid to make a lot of negative noise about their wheels whereas drivers of the other stuff, tend to stay silent when they are walking.

Then I got to wondering if Land Rover people were just different; different good and different bad I suppose; but definitely not grey people, and instead, perhaps unique, much like the vehicle.

The bottom line was I got up the courage to buy one and at the moment, cannot figure out any better vehicle for me anywhere at any price. After years of fixing/maintenance and 200,000 km, I know it is more reliable than it was when new. I have yet to walk; it always gets me there even the last few days where with wind chill, the temperatures have been in the low minus thirties - the heater works well, the petrol V8 starts fine and stability and stopping are pretty good on the snow setting given the streets are glass right now. One reason for buying it was to stay on the road. Off road, well you have to pay me do to that.

Of interest, accident statistics show that Land Rover products have about the lowest rate of single vehicle mishap of any car. This is short form for the vehicles seem to stay on the road and do not for whatever reason, end up in the ditch or run into things. Perhaps the owners are uniformly better drivers, or maybe the vehicle has something to do with that as well.

For a 4x4, its radio is like having the Boston Pops in the back seat and the access level feature is great for old types like myself - for me, it masks a reality and creates a false illusion I suppose, but I like it. It is no hot rod unless the road is rough, and then you find yourself passing everyone. There is a set of triple railroad tracks here in town; everyone comes to a near stop to cross them; me the faster the smoother is it - but lots of suspension thumping sounds however - the contrast is really something to experience. Drivers coming in the opposite direction think they are really going to see something wild and instead all they see is rapid vertical wheel movement and a body steady at speed.

For your reading enjoyment, you may wish to peruse the link below.

It is a collection of files I have gathered over the years to provide info on the 3.

There are perhaps a hundred items of interest within, a few having over two thousand hits so there is perhaps some of value to the collection.

When the find the air compressor sections, you will find info about the air dryers and the automatic regeneration cycle as well.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Home > Member Galleries > bbyer

Last edited by bbyer; 01-05-2015 at 08:32 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bbyer:
edhammond (04-25-2017), Oasisplayer311 (01-19-2015), PANTHRO (09-03-2019)
Old 01-05-2015, 01:00 AM
Overlanding

Wow, thank you.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow, lots of interesting reading in that post.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello. Thanks for the information re: the diffs.

I do have 2 questions though…

How do we determine the rear diff serial number?

Is it simply a case of looking at the drain plug and determining from there? I have spoken to a bloke from a independent LR parts website and he was not aware of any differences in the plugs, but did say this could be the case.

So the part I've been sent for the rear diff drain plug is TYB500080 but this is far too large in the diameter (and has a hex drive) so I'm thinking I have the later serial number plug (3/8" hex drive).

And, does anybody know the part number for this smaller drain plug?

Cheers

Old 04-25-2017, 11:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

This is not necessary to change every time.

There are a couple of Diff case variations..

Ask at your dealer with your VIN sir.

The following users liked this post:
Old Mate (04-25-2017)

Quick Reply: LR3 LR4 RRS DIII Differentials