LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 LR4 RRS DIII Differentials

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that diff and t-case instructions. I did it myself today with no problems. Those fill and drain plugs seemed really soft. I'm probably going to replace them next time for sure.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone tell me where i can buy rear diff bearings for my 2006 lr3

Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default a warehouse of solutions

Refer back to post #1 of this thread and send a PM to unseenone.

Per the link below, he has a warehouse full of solutions to your request.

Also check out the link in his post - there is some interesting stuff there including the complete solution to any differential concerns a 3 owner might have.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Other Stuff/Irony

Old 05-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

...since this thread has been resurrected, I may as well add some fuel to the fire:

I had my diffs replaced not long ago; maybe around 90k. I changed the fluid after 1500 miles or so...after sufficient time to allow some bedding in of gears. I JUST had it replaced again, at what would be about 18,000 miles.

The tech said that the fluid from the rear diff was BLACK. ...as in burnt. ...and there were flakes; more than usual. Not sure if this was from the internal coating or what but my diffs are still quiet and functioning fine, luckily.

From now on, it's a diff oil change every 15k miles; no questions asked.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

And it would be nice to have an 18 month unlimited mileage warranty

Oil changing every 15k or so will definitely prolong the life. If flushed the crud & moisture out. While the gunk does not help, it's usually rust in the long run.

It's better to do a full reman on it or exchange, with new custom made gears, at least the first time, bearings & seals, or exchange it.

thanks bbyer, houm.. drop me a pm legend2014 somebody in WA called for a rear locker kit.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all, Is there or can there be a reason to up grade form Royal Purple 75-90 weight oil to 75-145? Can there be problems with doing that? I change my Diff oil every 15-25 kms. I noticed on my last drain and fill of the front diff. oil and it was dark an gunky! I used the standard 75-90 weight oil at the last drain and fill. So would there be a problem to go up to the 75-145 weight or could there be a benefit?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I do not think there would be a benefit. The issues are mainly moisture contamination and sometimes gunk due to coating breakdown. Some folks do run it with no reported issues. Being in Canada, I can't see a benefit. I use Royal Purple, there are many other good choices.

The biggest think is more frequent oil changes, to keep the moisture and crud flushed out as much as possible.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default 145 in the Middle East maybe

Originally Posted by Dijansmith
Hey all, Is there or can there be a reason to up grade form Royal Purple 75-90 weight oil to 75-145? Can there be problems with doing that? I change my Diff oil every 15-25 kms. I noticed on my last drain and fill of the front diff. oil and it was dark an gunky! I used the standard 75-90 weight oil at the last drain and fill. So would there be a problem to go up to the 75-145 weight or could there be a benefit?
I am not too big on global warming but yes, while the snow is melting on the mountains to the west of Ardrie and I note that the Bow is finally ice free at the moment but gambling on the multiviscosity thing given that your off roading will most likely be to the west where the white rocks remain, I would be looking at lighter oil, not potentially heavier.

Since there is so little oil in the differentials, as unseenone suggests, frequent oil changes are the best insurance.

If you anticipate driving on road in downtown Calgary this spring, the odds of needing a snorkel are better than even last year. As such the chance of water in both front and rear differentials is good; hence the frequent oil change suggestion makes even more sense.

Attached Thumbnails LR3 LR4  RRS DIII Differentials-calgary-flood-streets.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good comments... Thank you guys! I had 75-145 R/P here and a good supply of it (Just enough actually).The Diffs are full and will change out and go to 75-90 R/P come November.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you to the OP and all that contributed to this thread. I some how managed to get both diffs and the transfer case done today. Measuring the stuff was a bear but I got it right and my Rover is a happy girl!

Quick Reply: LR3 LR4 RRS DIII Differentials