LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 Stalls when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 05:37 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 Stalls when stopping

Hi, im fairly new to posting on this type forum however, I’ve recently had some issues with my LR3 and don’t know what to do now. I passed this vehicle down to my son for school and work and after a couple years just recently we started smelling fuel and it would hesitate to start. He was about to start college so we took it into a european auto shop for repairs. They stated it was a bad fuel pump and the repairs were done. The smell went away but after a couple weeks when I went to drive it for the first time after said repairs, I noticed it still hesitated to start and now it would also completely stall when it comes to a stop. If I slowly coast to a stop it will stay on. Did not want to take it back in so I replaced some part’s hoping that would fix the issue. I did spark plugs, Coil Pack, MAF sensor, air filter and cleaned the throttle body. This did not help and the issue still continued. It did however have missfires on both banks per the scanner I purchased and it got rid of all that. The only codes left are Lean banks 1&2. I took it back in to the shop where they said it was a bad Camshaft position sensor and after they replaced that they said it was a bad Crank case module. They made bith repairs and they said it was my starter or ignition. I told them not to touch those and I picked my vehicle up crom them. Still I was out the cost for those repairs. I then replaced the PCV valve, EGR valve, throttle body and did a injector cleaning treatment. None of these have worked. I am out of ideas and would like some help.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:26 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you change upstream o2 sensors?

Old 11-06-2022, 08:57 PM
7th Gear

I hope I’m responding correctly, I have not replaced the Upstream O2 Sensors

Old 11-07-2022, 11:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts

Lean codes are most commonly caused by vacuum leaks. There are tons of threads about finding those on the forum. Have you tried any of the suggestions in those?

Old 11-07-2022, 04:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 740 Likes on 622 Posts

When filling, does anyone "top it off"?

What are ALL the codes? I have evap/emissions issues in mind.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:16 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
When filling, does anyone "top it off"?

What are ALL the codes? I have evap/emissions issues in mind.

Thanks for all your responses,

The only codes are P0171 and P0174

Old 11-07-2022, 08:16 PM
7th Gear

And yes it does get topped off when filling up

Old 11-07-2022, 08:19 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by tracyc
Lean codes are most commonly caused by vacuum leaks. There are tons of threads about finding those on the forum. Have you tried any of the suggestions in those?

I just purchased a smoke machine and will be trying smoke next, just waiting for our wind in Las Vegas to die down a bit.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:21 PM
7th Gear

I also read on another post that the Thermostat could be a culprit for it stalling?
any suggestions?

Old 11-07-2022, 08:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 740 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote LR3
And yes it does get topped off when filling up
Could be the issue then or part of the cause. No modern vehicles should be topped off, they have evap systems. This could be why you smelled fuel, the system gets saturated then damaged. The carbon canister takes the biggest hit as the carbon turns to a liquid mess. This may have been why you smelled fuel too since over filling, well, overfills the system. There was a tank recall for a defective part that would cause fuel to come out the top from an evaporations line. The shop may have repaired it in some way, but now the excess fuel is just entering and staying in the evaporations system. Just a theory though.

Quick Reply: LR3 Stalls when stopping