LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lr3 updates: second battery, dual air compressor and two more batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Lr3 updates: carpeted floor, dual air compressor and two more batteries

About a year and a half ago,I bought a 2006 V6 LR3 with a bad motor (timing chain let go at 136k).
I have replaced many parts that I would call deferred maintenance such as upper and lower control arms, radiator, air shock, compressor, windshield as well as new brakes/rotors, inner and outer tie rods, fluids, including transmission pan update.
I had a soft sided CVT roof top tent. It seemed like just a matter of time before I slipped off the roof while putting it up or taking it down, so I bought a used ALu-Cab gen 3 and awning. Well worth the money! I’d rather not spend several grand at an Emergency Room and deal with physical therapy.
Ive been off-roading the White LR3 since last year and feel that it’s been a good truck. I did miss the V8 power though and so, picked up an 07 HSE in Orkney Grey from a guy at work. 116k miles, but needed some love!
The plan was to move all of the stuff over to the grey one and sell the white one, but consensus was the white one looked like a better weekend truck and the grey one would be a better daily driver.
i bought an ARB refrigerator, which needed more juice (and maybe solar eventually) which started a whole bunch of upgrades. Then ARB had a deal on lockers, so there was an air compressor and switches that needed to be installed.
Started with a National Luna isolator kit, added two batteries due to an ordering snafu with Amazon ( batteries can’t be returned no matter what they say when you try to cancel). In in the front compartment and one fit very nicely behind the seats. You may noticed these seats are from a Rover Sport. Front bolted in right away and are totally worth it!

I ran the battery cables to a fuse block/distribution panel that I mounted in the driver’s side rear storage bin in the cargo area.

These switches are going to eventually turn on a compressor, some lights and send power to the tent and whatever else I need to be switched from the rear. I ran wiring for the ARB fridge across to the passenger side and after pulling the third row seats, I had room for the ARB dual compressor that will give me air for tools, tires and the locker (rear) that will go in soon.
After removing the seats, I cut out most of the carpet and added KillMat butyl rubber sound deadening squares. I’ll probably add some indoor/outdoor carpeting later and use rivnuts to bolt down the compressor. There is plenty of room for the solar controller and an inverter, if I choose to add later.

To cover it all up and give me a nice flat area to sleep or secure our gear, I cut out some 3/4 plywood. The plywood was covered with a carpet remnant from Lowe’s that pretty nice. For securing everything, I put a slice in the carpet, threaded through some 1 inch nylon strap and put three screws into the plywood. The front part that folds over the seat is attached with a piano hinge and has D rings. The front part will fold back and the seat can now accommodate 2 people cozily.

To install the refrigerator, I removed the passenger seat, cut the carpet out (moldy and gross from spilled drinks and a sunroof drain connector leak). I hard mounted a piece of plywood to the floor using the seat bolts and holes, added carpeting and straps with D rings.
Finally, I bought a switch panel from Abran to control the compressor, locker and lights in the future. Note the SMA connector for handheld ham radio tucked in on the left. The momentary on dipole switched in the front of the seat send power to the Sport seats. The switch requires a higher generation CANBUS since they are memory seats. The seats are really nice and bolted right in. Haven’t gotten the seat heaters working yet...
Pretty happy with everything and feel I could swap everything over in a few days to the HSE, if I change my mind.

Rough dollar count on this round:
I have about $85 in the carpet, nylon strap and plywood. The batteries were $600 plus $350 for the isolator and about $80 for fuseblock and switches. About $100 in the front switch panel and additional switches. Locker and compressor was $1400. Seats were $650 shipped. Refrigerator is about $900.

Last edited by Geo; 05-07-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 732 Likes on 614 Posts

Very nice! I think my only suggestion, if you dont mind, is a hole with a plug or such IF you still have the spare mounted underside. It would not be fun having to pull stuff out to lift that to get to the spare wheel winch. With my setup I will be blocking half of it, so I am going to mount a socket and ratchet down there and will be able to use that instead from the one side where I have a seat I can lift up.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Very nice! I think my only suggestion, if you dont mind, is a hole with a plug or such IF you still have the spare mounted underside. It would not be fun having to pull stuff out to lift that to get to the spare wheel winch. With my setup I will be blocking half of it, so I am going to mount a socket and ratchet down there and will be able to use that instead from the one side where I have a seat I can lift up.
Unfortunately, the tires I have won’t fit in the spare well, or at least I don’t think they will. It almost forces me to get a spare tire swing away. I used to throw (barely get them up there really) them up on the rack prior to the tent install.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

I had pulled out all of the carpeting and the side panels looking for a place to stash the compressor. Since I have the rear air con, I didn’t find a good spot. The small one for just the locker would have fit easily. It started looking like a cargo van with all of the trim Out!

Old 05-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The sight of the battery inside the cabin gives me the heebee jeebies. You're dealing with hydrogen gas. One spark or something shorting out across those unprotected battery terminals and you have a battery explosion and/or a fire. Safety first. Get that battery out of there. Seriously.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

I appreciate the concern. I understand that H2 is only released if overcharged to a point the valve opens. It’s a pretty large space. I found articles on both sides of the argument.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 732 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
I had pulled out all of the carpeting and the side panels looking for a place to stash the compressor. Since I have the rear air con, I didn’t find a good spot....

I have rear air-con also. So I am going to see if I can stuff things on the opposite side. I've already had that panel off and think there may be enough room for some stuff between the inner panel and exterior metal. But I may cannibalize the cargo compartment, where you put your fuses, by removing it from the plastic panel so I can mount something on the metal but still fit the panel. And if its something I need to get to, I can just open the lid.

As for the battery, I agree if its a wet cell it should not be in there. I assumed it was a dry cell type.