LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR3 vs. LR4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default LR3 vs. LR4?

My Disco II needs head gaskets. Given the cost of the work, the value of the truck, and the big step in between a Disco and an LR3, I can't see getting it fixed.

We need a 3rd car in my family. I can either fix the Disco myself or buy something. Fixing it means I likely lose a couple of weekends. I don't have that kind of time until at least February. But that's an option. Given prices where I am another LR3 seems like a possibility.

Is there any reason to consider an LR4? Other than more bling I don't see a significant difference. Perhaps better reliability with some of the LR3 common issues?

Old 11-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Winching
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I test drove both, and preferred the LR3 for a couple reasons.

1. A mid-cycle design refresh often muddles the original look and feel, and for the LR4 it lost a lot of the utilitarian purity and got all plush and blingy. It's a pretty truck, and the interior is much nicer than the LR3, but after seeing the LR3 interior, just doesn't seem to fit with the overall design. I relate more with the rugged luxury of the LR3 than the Beverly Hills air of the LR4.

2. The 5.0L in the early LR4's was the only thing I thought I was going to miss. Turns out with the 250 extra pounds, I didn't really feel too much of a difference in performance. The LR4 has a bit more top-end like when passing on the highway, but around town I felt little difference.

3. The brakes are bigger on the LR4, but to be honest, the LR3 brakes are fantastic. I thought I would want to put the Brembos from the RRS on, but I see no need.

In the end, it wasn't worth the extra just for the little bit of improved performance from the bigger engine. I found a very nice one owner LR3 with every option and service records that I couldn't pass up. Now about transplanting a 5.0L into an LR3...

A couple things I've learned since lurking on LR boards that might be useful:

- the 5.0L might actually be less reliable than the 4.4L
- the LR4's are 19" and 20" wheels only due to larger brakes which limits tire choices and increases expense
- many of the common problems with the LR3s plague the LR4 as well (control arms, EAS issues, cowling leaks)

Old 11-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djkronik57
A couple things I've learned since lurking on LR boards that might be useful:

- the 5.0L might actually be less reliable than the 4.4L
- the LR4's are 19" and 20" wheels only due to larger brakes which limits tire choices and increases expense
- many of the common problems with the LR3s plague the LR4 as well (control arms, EAS issues, cowling leaks)
Good feedback - thanks. My Rover mechanic says the same thing. He has yet to see a significant engine problem in an LR3 and he's worked on the up to 220K miles. The rest of the drive train is not so reliable, but the engine seem to be solid.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Winching
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

One more thing if you plan to take it on sand, I believe the LR4 has an updated Terrain Response program for sand. The LR3's sand setting is apparently not the best, but still workable.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

I think the newer LR4s take away some of the essential 4x4 features too (lo-range and a locking center diff) UNLESS it has the HD package which then adds it all back in plus the locker. I think '13 and up did that; not sure though.

I agree with everything Djkronik said, I like the exterior of the LR3 better. I even like the interior better too except the doors. I love the LR4's doors. After I sat in a few LR4s the dash that I used to love started looking "rubbery" to me....and the ***** and buttons looked less rugged.

I have not driven one (just ridden in a few) so I didn't realize that the 5.0 that I've envied was so moot in around-town driving. I figured it would be a non-issue around town, which is all I really care about. My 4x4 doesn't to be fast so I'll take a reliable and capable engine over one with a bit more grunt. DJ, what issues have the 5-Liters had?

As for the LR3 drivetrain....really just diffs, right? The rest seems pretty good to me, from what I've read and experienced.

RipD, get an LR3. Find one with maintenance records, make sure the diffs aren't mucked and take care of it. I think I read a post where you referenced Portland. Take your LR3 out to Brown's Camp and prepare to be amazed!

Old 11-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

This will be a long one, so there will be a TLDR at the end . I have driven both, but own a 3, so accept my bias with a grain of salt. I will say the 4 is one of the smoothest driving trucks I have ever experienced, and I've driven most of the Ford F-series from the 150's to 550's.

Interior: x2 what earlier poster said about interior differences. IMO the 3's interior versus the 4 is still very nice, but you feel more like you're driving an overland-able truck instead of a mall crawler. Also the design update removed the handles on the front headrests, something which I aesthetically enjoy AND almost every passenger I've had has mentioned they liked when I'm going over rough ground (so they can hold on). The controls are simpler, no frills, and I prefer the muscle memory of the auto shifter in the 3 to the stupid dials and paddle of the 4's. With the 3 you get way more physical buttons and I have always loved the layout, everything is more or less logical to me. Every once in a while I visit the sales staff at my dealership and during a few tours of the 4 I have had to fish for what buttons or settings I want. I'm sure its something you'd get accustomed to if you owned one, but my that's my take.

Exterior: I love the front end of the discovery 4 but that's about it.
They're so similar exterior wise that it mostly comes down to the grill, headlights, and taillights. I like the older look with the more overt amber indicators of the 3, but that's a personal preference. The 3's have great headlights with the xenon bulbs anyway, and I can adjust the beams in my driveway with a screwdriver and they still look very modern. I hate the running lights constantly on but I think you can disable that feature somehow on the 4's. The 3's are manually operated, no LED running lights. 3's can also be equipped with the LED taillights that the 4 has, but you will need to add ballast to the wiring (check the how-to thread someone recently did on the forums here). Functionality-wise the 4 made roof rails an extra option too so it will be annoying if you get one without rails and then want a roof rack. 3's come with rails standard. Easy upgradeability.

Engine wise, while I do appreciate what they have done for fuel economy and instant power with both the 5.0 and the 3.0 SCV6, the 4.4 seems like the "bulletproof" (and I use that word loosely ) option since they're powerful enough, simpler to work on, have better parts availability, and are more widely used. Even the TDV6 guys (the engine you would want if you could get one) have mentioned a few times that they would appreciate the extra muscle of the V8. I have seen a few posts about guys with the 5.0 having problems that others could not figure out because we're used to working with the 4.4 so safety in numbers?...

Transmission: the 4's I've driven have the 8-speed which while being smooth, is way too much of a complexity gamble for a vehicle which ostensibly should be up for some heavy abuse. The 6 speed is the sweet spot, especially since its a ZF tranny which will treat you right if you flush fluids every once in a while (75k rather than the 150k LR suggests)(I will admit that they do have problems on some trucks...). Unfortunately the market is favoring smoothness (more gears/changes) over robustness (less gear changes, easier to service/repair, longer lifespan). The disco sport AFAIK has a 9-speed .

Wheels: I thank my lucky stars every day that I have 18's and not 19's. I have heard anecdotally that some guys have forced their dealers to trade their Disco 4 19's for OEM Disco 3 18's (which should fit with minor spacers, or minor grinding to brake caliper housing-google overland journal LR4 thread), I feel bad that so many 4 owners are stuck with a ****ty wheel/tire choice as stock. The compmotive 18" are excellent aftermarket options but are $$$, which a 3 owner would otherwise not have to spend.

Differentials: the 4 has had all the updates to the known issues the 3 had with differentials. Unfortunately a lot more things are options on the 4's so its now a ~$1500 optional extra to have the HD package versus a ~$600 option a few years ago for a 3. Expect to swap in a new diff or two, and make sure you update the breather for the front diff (its ridiculously easy, you can do it standing up with scissors). The locking diff models for the 3's are notoriously hard to find for sale BUT now that ARB has air lockers, that is not an issue.

TLDR:
Interior: Discovery 3=more rugged but nice, Discovery 4=more luxurious

Exterior: Discovery 4=nicer headlights, more LED's, different grill, different tail lights, no roof rails as stock. Discovery 3 more versatile, simpler exterior

Engine: Discovery 4=5.0L SCV8 or 3.0L V6; both are nice. Discovery 3=4.4L V8, or (in very rare cases) a 4.0L V6; 4.4 is proven, simple, good compromise

Tranny: Discovery 4=8speed, Discovery 3=6speed, your choice really.

Wheels: Discovery 4=19" wheels only, this sucks (can buy aftermarket 18"s, but this=$$$). Discovery 3=18" wheels stock, great size for tire selection, still look good.

Differentials: Discovery 4=most problems fixed, more $$$ for the HD than before. Discovery 3=expect some problems, still okay though, ARB makes lockers if you can't find HD package models.

PM me for exact pricing differences and specifications...

Old 11-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Camel Trophy

The fender flares/moldings are also an exterior difference. Sorry but I hate the painted plastic ones on the 4. Screw that. I'd rather apply Vinylex ever few months than have that lame looking fragile mall-crawling painted shiny look.

I totally forgot about the lack of shift lever and absolutely crappy paddle shifters. First of all paddle shifters on a 4x4 are just plain stupid. Second, they move with the steering wheel which sucks...and they are tiny and plastic. They are worthless. Basically it renders manual shifting ineffective.

By way of contrast, my Q50S (different vehicle altogether, granted) has large magnesium paddle shifters that don't move with the wheel. Very very effective. I use it all the time.

Well this is settled. LR3>LR4.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
The fender flares/moldings are also an exterior difference. Sorry but I hate the painted plastic ones on the 4. Screw that. I'd rather apply Vinylex ever few months than have that lame looking fragile mall-crawling painted shiny look.
Just like on my 2009

Old 11-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Camel Trophy

Sorry Schwagg...didn't mean to knock your '09, just not a fan. Of course all that is cosmetic and subject to taste.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

No worries. I like having the last model year LR3 but I'm not a fan of the body colored fender flares either.

Quick Reply: LR3 vs. LR4?