LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

Well, it's time for me to eat some crow.

Eating crow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I’m sure if I looked back at some of my posts from 2005 I would find a slew of things saying why the Disco 3 is not going to be a good off road choice. Unfortunately for me but fortunately for the Land Rover community I may need to retract some of those old post. Watching what people like Nathan Woods, Adam Spiker and Gerald King have accomplished with their trucks has not only proven me wrong but made me want one of my own. Please except this as my apology and lets get started with the project!

Without further ado here is the L8 Disco 3 in all its stock form glory

Name:  IMG_8262_zpsb2f0eb62.jpeg
Views: 3862
Size:  101.1 KB

Some of you keen eyed observers may recognize the finger in the uper corner. That finger belongs to none other than Bart from RMR or as most people know them Red Mountain Rovers.

R M R 4x4 LLC - Birmingham, Alabama

Name:  IMG_2950_zpsf1d3b54e.jpeg
Views: 3673
Size:  95.8 KB

Tim and Bart knew I was batting around the Idea of getting into a Disco 3 and when they saw this on the clock they knew were its new home should be.

Name:  photo1_zpsc1121be3.jpg
Views: 3600
Size:  68.0 KB

I only had one question for them. Does it have

Name:  photo-2_zps560b765a.jpg
Views: 3609
Size:  51.4 KB

The answer was A resounding yes and the Disco was immediately shipped off to Lucky8

Name:  photo2copy_zps5fba7f54.jpg
Views: 3637
Size:  71.0 KB

Like most Lucky8 Project truck’s the goal is to build a truck that can be a daily driver and still stand up to the abuse of the Easter Expedition. In order to do this with a Disco 3 we will need to push hard on our vendors for new products and work in house on innovative ways to tap the hidden potential Land Rover left for us to find.
A side from the standard bolt on goodies here is a quick list of things I would like to accomplish.

1 expanding the selection of rims available.

2 A different suspension set up that does not overstress the air bags when lifted.

3 A dual battery system that has a built-in solar power charger. These trucks are so dependent on electricity we need every possible backup system to make sure they're ready for the challenge ahead.

4 This may be a pipe dream but aluminum bumpers, rock sliders and air Compressor guard.

5 Finding out the things this truck needs that I don’t even know about.

Start at the start.
Tires are the foundation of any build, and that is were we will begin.

When I’m asked for recommendations about building a truck the first thing I ask back is "What size tires do you want to run"? The answer to that for this project was "stuff a 33 under it". Unfortunately it's not that easy on a Disco 3. Our Disco like most HSE’s came with 19in wheels. To say the 19in tire selection is dismal is an overstatement and now we find ourselves at issue number one on my list. Rim selection. What most people do is go out and find a used set of 18 inch rims. That's not a bad option but I think Lucky8 can do better. Remember when I said we needed to be innovative? Well I don't want to let you down so have a look at this video.

Last edited by Fivespddisco; 01-09-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Is video private, or is it a video of privates?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Is video private, or is it a video of privates?
Thank you sir. It should be good now.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Now it doesn't exist, or did it ever exist? Hmmm.

Now it's there. I'm not sure if I'm keen on the finish, though. Is it me or do they seem a little boxy?

Last edited by 04duxlr; 01-09-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
Now it doesn't exist, or did it ever exist? Hmmm.
Issue with youtube

Im uploading a new one

Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

It worked fine for me. Recyclable rims?! Sweet.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

About time you started messing with the LR3

Old 01-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This should be intresting.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice Truck, can't wait to see the finished product.

The transfer case, transmission and diff fluids should be changed. The brake light switch should be replaced.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:39 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 33 s don't fit

Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
"What size tires do you want to run"? The answer to that for this project was "stuff a 33 under it". Unfortunately it's not that easy on a Disco 3.
I put the Johnson Rods on mine and watched a video on YouTube where a guy installed 285 65R18 Nitto trail grapplers (actual measurement is 32.59") so I got some. They rub everywhere! The width of tire was the first problem. The side lugs rubbed on the upper control arm in the front. I had to use spacers and they reduce the hub centre mating surface and cause unwanted steering wheel shake. I tried 1/2" first; the studs were too short and I completely lost the hub centre. I settled on only 3/16" thick as that was all I was able to put on (without extra hassles like changing out the studs). The attached picture shows plywood under the tires as I was constantly turning the wheels left and right to check my clearances the day they were installed and I started trimming. I've cut up my bumper, and cut and welded my sub frame in a few places. The first time I went off roading a wore a big hole in my fender liner, and that was when I discovered the coolant lines that run to the rear heater. Also, even with the lift when my speed sensors failed and the suspension went into "default height" my tires rubbed. It would have been even worse if it dropped to the stops.

The bumper problem will be fixed with an ARB bumper eventually. the rest of the problems mean the tire is too big.

Attached Thumbnails -rover-wheel.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3