LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lug Nut Recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 01:42 PM
Mudding
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Lug Nut Recommendation?

Lug Nut Recommendation?

I want to swap out my Lug Nuts. For solid ones. I tried these cheap knock-off's, knowing I could easily return them -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09QX1RVPY?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I will definitely be returning them, because - Most of the Washers are stuck to the actual lug nut. In other words, they are not able to perform the function if a Washer. Why stuck? Clearly, the Lug Nuts and Washers were NOT treated / sealed / coated / painted before the Washers were fitted. Lug Nuts and Washers were given a very thin coat of basic black semi-gloss paint, after the Washers were fitted. I was able to pry some of the Washers loose, exposing bare metal - Looks just like mild steel. Very easy to scratch. Zero paint protection. Highly doubt this is Grade 8 steel. And the washers are not 'stuck' to the Lug Nuts 'evenly' - every Washer sticks out slightly beyond the edge of the corresponding Lug Nut. Threads are poor quality - most Lug Nuts do not thread smoothly and evenly onto the studs. Perhaps due to the stuck washers inhibiting a smooth thread? In which case, wheel rims and / or wheel studs are being damaged. Paint wore of the edges / corners of every Lug Nut, after fitting for the first time. Another indication of poor quality coating.

I suppose you get what you pay for...

Anybody have any recommendations?

Old 12-17-2022, 10:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I went to
Amazon Amazon
to look at them and they seem to be the exact same ones I bought 3-1/2 years ago or at least similarly priced. I did not inspect them very closely, just took the old ones off and replaced them with these, torqued them down to 105 foot-pounds and have had them off to change over to summer tires and then again for winters, never had a problem. Here in Red Deer I could not even find used ones, so tried these, I guess I just got lucky...
OOOPS!! I just looked up what I have, although from the same seller I have the

Set of 20 Eisen Performance Black OEM Factory Style Lug Nuts Compatible with Stock Wheels Land Range Rover HSE Sport LR3 LR4

Last edited by enb54; 12-17-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 743 Likes on 623 Posts

Link to the "Eisen" ones below. Honestly though, I am pretty sure many are the same lug just sold under different made-up names for branding/marketing/confusion. Which makes it even harder to know what you are actually getting.

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-17-2022, 09:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

You are probably right, I just got lucky, with so much counterfeit stuff out there, some of it might actually work...

Old 12-18-2022, 09:48 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry I don’t have any lug recommendation, but for what it’s worth, I was disappointed with water and rust developing between the steel and thin cover.
I removed that thin chrome cover with a little help from my lathe, plugged the ends so water couldn’t penetrate the studs. And….. that’s where my project ended as I could never decide on a proper finish coat.
lmk if you’re interested in continuing my project.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

New Set of 20PCS Chrome Lug Nuts for Land Rover LR4 Range Rover Sport LR3 | eBay

I just ordered a set of these. Looks like a good deal for OEM. About half of them on the 06 are bad, and 4-6 are bad on the 07. I'm thinking the OEM's despite their problems will still outlast many of the aftermarket lugs. I can handle $5 per lug...not $12!

Old 12-22-2022, 03:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 743 Likes on 623 Posts

Those are probably fakes. I am sure they are better made than the cheaper ones on Amazon, but the market for fake Rover items is insane. Just look on AliExpress, etc. I would only buy a deal like that from a known trusted seller.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Dakota was right, these are fakes. Do NOT buy. They appear to be the same as all the others you can buy for 1/2 the cost. I’ll be returning these.

Old 12-31-2022, 02:16 AM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Some people seem to have bought these, https://www.wrington.co.uk/product/p...ery-3-4-and-5/, and are happy with them.

Now, I hate swollen nuts as much as the next guy but the price is slightly excessive…

Old 12-31-2022, 08:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

It might be cheaper to buy a 22.5mm socket for removal and some used OEM lug nuts to replace them as needed. I’ve only had problems with swollen lug nuts following tire changes or rotations done by a shop, so the capped nuts can last if they are broken loose and final torqued by hand.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6...special_202212

Quick Reply: Lug Nut Recommendation?