LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

major problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009 | 01:18 PM
|
7th Gear
Default major problems

Hi I have an 05 lr3 thats having some major issues. On start up nothing appears to be wrong but as soon as I press the brake a brake, and DSC-ETC light comes on. As soon as I shut it off a transmission fault message comes on with an HDC system not available message. The suspension also automatically lowers itself. Anyone had anything like this happen to them??

Old 12-09-2009 | 08:25 AM
Winching

How old is your battery. a bad battery will cause all kinds of wierd thing to happen.

Old 12-09-2009 | 11:05 AM
|
7th Gear

It's a Land Rover battery so I'm not sure if it's still the original or not. I had it tested and it came back 97% good. I've been reading other peoples posts and some have said they replaced their batteries anyways. Not sure what to do here.

Old 12-09-2009 | 11:07 AM
Rock Crawling

If you had it tested on someone's load tester, properly adjusted, that should be a good start. If you haven't already, take it to a local Autozone or similar parts shop, and have them pull the OBD codes out of it for you; I like AZ because they actually have them in their register, and will print you tapes with the code and description.

At least, mine does.

The interplay between the systems suggests maybe bad poewr or ground to one or more ECUs. Couldn't hurt to run your fuse boxes as well.

Old 12-09-2009 | 11:15 AM
|
7th Gear

This may be a dumb question but what will the OBD codes tell me?

Old 12-09-2009 | 11:17 AM
Rock Crawling

There is no dumb question.

:-)

Depending on what they're read with and how deep it probes, you might find out about things like bad power wiring to an ECU module -- all ECUs (that I know of, anyway) report their incoming battery voltage.

Additionally, they'll tell you why a light came on, and sometimes *when*.

If you pulled 4 errors in 3 ECUs when you hit a big bump in a parking lot, that's a pretty good indication...

Old 12-09-2009 | 11:23 AM
|
7th Gear

ok thanks I'll have to head down to an AZ and see what they say. In your opinion what do you think is going on with the all the fault lights I have coming on?

Old 12-09-2009 | 03:43 PM
Winching

do the faults allways come on? have they stayed on when you restarted the LR3. or do they go away?

Old 12-10-2009 | 12:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Did you make any sharp U-Turns? I did a long time ago and the tire clipped the suspension wiring in the front left wheel well..It caused the HDC message, suspension fault light, and then it would automatically lower and raise itself. Worth checking to see if that wiring was possibly damaged..

Old 12-10-2009 | 11:41 AM
|
7th Gear

Ya the faults always come on but only after I push the brake to put it in gear. Not sure about any sharp U-turns my wife was driving it when all the fault lights came on. Also the cruise control not available message has come on for a few months but only once in a while and I haven't had time to get it into the shop to check it out.

Quick Reply: major problems