LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help installing front lower control arms LR3-no access height

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need help installing front lower control arms LR3-no access height

Purchased a set of new front lower control arms for my 2005 LR3. Took it to my local mechanic. He calls me a bit later and says he can't lift the vehicle without first putting it into access height, which it will not do. I'm not so much worried about the access height, as I don't really require it. Some research into the changing of the control arms leads me to believe that if the front end only is lifted, the height can be set manually by raising the axle to a predetermined height (18 1/4" from axle center to bottom edge of wheel well) and then tightening the control arm bolts. The air bag strut is then raised and bolted into place. This is supposed to achieve a close driving height setting once the vehicle is lowered. My question is, is this possible, or just a problem waiting to happen? Also, what does happen if the entire vehicle is raised without adjusting any settings beforehand, such as to rotate the tires? Thanks to all in advance!

Old 11-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

no matter what height it is in when you lift it the suspension droops all the way extended, when you set it back on the ground it goes back to normal, at least this is my experience

i would suggest service mode but think thats only to hold the height for alignment

The following users liked this post:
angrylobster (11-16-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

I have had this issue a few times with non-LR mechanics.

Here's what I've done (old-timers feel free to correct me):

open the engine bay and interior (behind glovebox) fuse boxes and pull these fuses

F26E (engine)
F3E (engine)
F35P (glovebox)

These will disable the air suspension and allow you to jack the vehicle/not scare your local mechanic when 2 tons of Land Rover start moving about.

As long as you don't start the vehicle with these fuses missing, it won't bother it. If you do forget and try to start, I assume it's going to throw some crazy fault codes. I've heard the aussies have driven 3's with these fuses pulled while crossing water so the vehicle won't drop.

EDIT: I have started the 3 with the above fuses pulled. It will give you a suspension fault light on the dash, but otherwise functions normally (theoretically). The light will go away once you turn off the car and replace the fuses.

Last edited by DavC; 12-29-2014 at 07:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DavC:
angrylobster (11-16-2014), TOM R (11-16-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks DavC, it worked and all went well! On to the next problem...My heater blower has started shutting off intermittently?? The system stays on, but the blower stops running. Seems like a loose wire joint somewhere. Any ideas? I did have to do a repair a while back on the wiring for the air ride system under the front passenger door sill. This whole area looked ripe for additional problems. Any thoughts?

Old 12-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by angrylobster
Thanks DavC, it worked and all went well! On to the next problem...My heater blower has started shutting off intermittently?? The system stays on, but the blower stops running. Seems like a loose wire joint somewhere. Any ideas? I did have to do a repair a while back on the wiring for the air ride system under the front passenger door sill. This whole area looked ripe for additional problems. Any thoughts?
Glad it worked

As for the heater issue, that is one I have yet to encounter. Sometimes if I'm trying to identify a problem area I call my service advisor at the dealership and he usually helps me suss it out over the phone. If you get lucky you might strike gold and not spend a dime for the diagnosis.