LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Land Rover Owner needs help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015 | 08:24 PM
|
2nd Gear
Default New Land Rover Owner needs help.

I'm new to Landrovers. Here is my dilemma. I recently purchased a 2006 LR3 HSE I had a compressor that burned out. My mechanic (not a land rover dealer as the closest dealer is 200 miles away) replaced the compressor and I was able to replace it with a hitachi compressor. The mechanic then thought the the ride Level ECU was bad even though he could at least connect to the ecu with his limited diagnostic computer. But it was not controlling the compressor. He did verify that the compressor worked by temporarily bypassing the ECU. I had seen a TSB indicating that you had to flash the ECU if you replaced the compressor but we did not do that. I ordered a new ECU from a UK parts dealer. I did not notice at the time that he had two ecu's with the exact same part number listed but did not indicate what if any difference there was(I have an email into the parts dealer about the difference). When the mechanic put in the new ECU his limited computer could not talk at all to the new ECU. I just a Nanocom Evolution two days ago to perform my own work in the future. I went and hooked it up to the vehicle everything works as advertised but it does not recognize the ride level ECU including indicating that problem as a fault code not being able to communicate with the ride level ECU.

So here are my questions as I try to diagnose where the problem is:
1. If you put a new ride level ECU after replacing the compressor(i did replace with a hitachi compressor) is there something that needs to be done for the ECU to communicate with devices properly or is this the wrong ECU or a faulty part?

2. Since the mechanic was at least able to get communicate with the old ECU after replacing the compressor could it be that the old ECU would work but needs to be flashed (He took it out before I had a chance to see if I could re flash the program it with the Nanocom. The nanocom needs to communicate with the ecu so i can get the software numbers and pick the appropriate flash software)

Any help figuring the best approach to diagnose this as I become acquainted is greatly appreciated with this whole LR3 system is appreciated.

Old 02-08-2015 | 09:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Default not so certain the problem was the "ECU"

I am not going to be much help here.

It appears that LR ownership is new to you. Purchase of the Evo is a good start as it appears that you are going to have to become the expert in order to keep your 3 running.

The link below is to a number of files I have assembled related to the 3. You might wish to review them as within there are pdf's and drawings that provide a fair amount of information related to the air system, and other systems as well.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Home > Member Galleries > bbyer

Regarding replacement of the ECU, I am wondering exactly what part that is or more correctly, where it is located.

The fact your 3 even starts suggests to me that the part replaced was not what I would regard as the ECU - that is good news by the way.

Also would you still have the old part removed? I guess I am wondering what the part number is.

I would not worry about any reprogramming of the Hitachi compressor. If you replaced an Hitachi for an Hitachi, then no programming would be required to get it going again. Yes, there has been new software for the Hitachi over the years, and yes, the AMK is supposed to have new software but even it runs on the old software, but perhaps not as well as it should.

A compressor not running is pretty routine and is more often relay or wiring related than a software problem.

Also a fault in some safety system can tell the air suspension system to go down and hence it appears that you have a compressor problem.

In your case, a burned out compressor suggests the compressor was working too hard. That suggests perhaps a plugged air dryer, a relay problem or a system leak that would not allow the air system to get up to pressure. It could also just be old age and it just wore out. In the file link above, you will see pictures of my Hitachi when the con rod let go from the "crank shaft".

Since you have an LR3, you must not be in the UK plus 200 miles suggests the States rather than on an island - just wondering where your 3 is based.

Old 02-08-2015 | 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

I would suggest going to the nanocom support forums and see if they have any ideas. I know I read about someone there replacing a transfer case computer I think.

This is the code to load for the hitachi:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albu...itachi_ffl.jpg

If you download it from genesis can you attempt to load it? I have a feeling some modules may come with no software (or just basic boot loader code) to keep you from accidentally running the wrong code for your vehicle, especially if the same module fits many cars.

Old 02-08-2015 | 08:56 PM
|
2nd Gear
Default Ecu

Bbyer

Thank you for your ideas. IT is the air suspension ECU (or control module is the other terminology i have heard depending on what diagnostic reading i am looking at.) part number= RQT500170
It is accessed from inside the car passenger side along the floor cover threshold. Like i mentioned i also wonder if there is a difference. I ordered my parts from lrdirect and they list two versions of that part number but no description of the difference if any. I have several manuals/instructions that show the diagram and also indicate having to do some sort of programming after replacing it. The problem is the Nanocom EVO doesn't recognize the new one so not sure how it would talk and program it. I do have the same questions into the Evo manufacturer forum. I agree the burn out might be due to one of the other issues which we were hoping was the problem when I took it in based on what i had been reading in the forum. It seemed about normal as the LR3 has about 75K miles whihc is what i read was the timeline for many compressor problmes. I have only had it for the last 3,000 miles. My LR3 has spent its entire life in Colorado.

Jafir: I don't see any way to program the module if the nanocom EVO cant recognize it. I do have the question in on the EVO forum with the manufacturer to see if they have a solution.

Thank you for all you responses. Despite the problems I am enjoying learning the LR system. I am used to working on my Dodge trucks that I have had for the last 20 years so I'm enjoying the new challenges.

Old 02-08-2015 | 09:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Calibration but not software?

I found below in a LR pdf related to the Air Suspension Control Module.

It talks about Calibration but not about flashing software, something it usually says to do via the T4 etc.

I am pleased to hear that you are looking for new challenges as the 3 definitely can be one - figure the 3 out and you have the new production vehicles sorted for the next ten to fifteen years - the 3 is that far ahead of the curve - Ford's test mule for their pickups, be it aluminum, turbo chargers, fibre optics or PWM electrical systems.

Calibration
A calibration routine is performed using T4 to access the position of each corner of the vehicle and record the settings in the ECU memory. Once set, the calibration is not required to be performed unless the air suspension control module is removed or replaced, a height sensor is removed or replaced or a suspension arm to which the sensor is connected is removed or replaced. If the removed height sensor is subsequently refitted, the calibration procedure will have to be performed to ensure the integrity of the system.

If the air supply unit, the reservoir, a valve block, a damper module or the air harness is removed or replaced, the system will not require recalibration.

Old 02-09-2015 | 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tim Goddard
Jafir: I don't see any way to program the module if the nanocom EVO cant recognize it. I do have the question in on the EVO forum with the manufacturer to see if they have a solution.
The flash menu doesn't ask which module you're flashing, IIRC. If it were mine, I'd download the new code from Genesis and go into the update utility and see if it will apply. Of course it might fail the pre-checks and not work, but I'd think it would be worth try.