LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (to me) LR3 and a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Super easy like "remove old bulb, screw in new LED bulb?"

Yes, Houm.
The install guide is at this page: LED FOG LIGHT BULB

Old 10-19-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I am gonna have to call BS on strictly using LR bulbs. I am running Sylvania ZEVO LED's in everything except my turn signals and I have zero issues. I think the problem was with bulbs being of to high of wattage or with one of the dual elements breaking.

When my LR3 was going absolutely nuts my LR buddy said to check and make sure the 1157 style bulbs (used for the brakes/parking lights) didn't have a broken element that was shorting against the other element (as 1157's are dual element bulbs). He said thats what caused a lot of faults. I asked him about the LED's before I bought them (Sylvania specifically as the pilot brand & ebay ones are pure crap). He said I shouldn't have any problems. I haven't had a lick of trouble out of them and the brake/parking light output is much better than stock.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

ditto ^

I have replaced turn signal bulbs with the auto store generic (probably sylvania) and no issues for at least a year now.

Maybe if they were super crap bulbs I could see an issue but I would swap a brake light switch in first and check plugs,wiring, contacts etc

Old 10-19-2016, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Yep a new brake switch & making sure the 12v PDI connection in the battery compartment wasn't shorting solved all my LR3 gremlin nighmares!

Old 10-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Yeah that filament-shorting thing is more likely to happen with cheap-o bulbs that allow you to install them with the filaments aligned horizontal instead of vertical.

Hmmm....LEDs are a good idea for that application. No filament. No shorting. Do you have a part No for the LEDs you used in lieu of the 1157s, @Best4x4 ?

Old 10-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

With the Sylvania LED's you have two choices their standard LED replacement 2 bulbs for 19.99 or the Zevo model which is 2 bulbs 21.99. I went with the standard 1157R (R = red) ones for the brake/parking lights, 1156R for the rear fog lights, and the Zevo 6000K 1156 bulbs for the reverse lights. I got the red colored ones as I've found if you use the "cool white" or 6000K Zevo ones in stock red housings they look more pink vs red.

I basically have Sylvania LED's in all my LR's. The front 194 bulbs are famous for being replaced with to high of watt 194 style bulbs and they'll melt the LR3 housings pretty quick. The standard 168/194 Sylvania LED's took care of that issue as well.

On our LR3's the front parking light is in a clear lens and with the stock bulb and HID's it IMHO looked rather cheap. Sticking in a Sylvania cool white 194 LED makes it look much better.

You can find the Sylvania LED's at Auto Zone, Orielly's, and even Wal-Mart. I highly recommend them. Yes they're more vs the ebay and pilot brand stuff, but they actually work, and don't burn out in 5 days.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:24 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
With the Sylvania LED's you have two choices their standard LED replacement 2 bulbs for 19.99 or the Zevo model which is 2 bulbs 21.99. I went with the standard 1157R (R = red) ones for the brake/parking lights, 1156R for the rear fog lights, and the Zevo 6000K 1156 bulbs for the reverse lights. I got the red colored ones as I've found if you use the "cool white" or 6000K Zevo ones in stock red housings they look more pink vs red.

I basically have Sylvania LED's in all my LR's. The front 194 bulbs are famous for being replaced with to high of watt 194 style bulbs and they'll melt the LR3 housings pretty quick. The standard 168/194 Sylvania LED's took care of that issue as well.

On our LR3's the front parking light is in a clear lens and with the stock bulb and HID's it IMHO looked rather cheap. Sticking in a Sylvania cool white 194 LED makes it look much better.

You can find the Sylvania LED's at Auto Zone, Orielly's, and even Wal-Mart. I highly recommend them. Yes they're more vs the ebay and pilot brand stuff, but they actually work, and don't burn out in 5 days.

No need for resistors when installing the LED's?

Old 10-19-2016, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Nope as long as you DO NOT use them in the turn signals you'll be 100% fine. It's only when you use them in the turn signals does it flip out the turn signal relay and you get the fast flash.

That's why I replace everything with LED's except for the turn signal bulbs.

The following users liked this post:
EastCoast (10-20-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:41 PM
skw
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmb6s
1) Many people here (including me) have changed fog lights to match the color temp of the HIDs. Also, many have changed interior lights to LEDs... especially in the UK with no ill effects. I even have non-LR bulbs in my tail lights with no issues, while I've heard about this "issue", I have no idea what its origin is. :P

2) I like the Homespot NFC because it doesn't have phone functionality to it won't jack up your connection to the Land Rover bluetooth phone stuff. It also doesn't have a battery, so it will shut off when your car shuts off and turn on when your car turns on automatically. Finally, it's small enough to fit in the little pocked below the aux jack in the center console. For me, it's perfect... I forget it's even there and it's like I had bluetooth functionality integrated into the car originally.

4) For a good all-around tire that should do everything you want, I would look at the KO2s. I love mine. They are supposed to be great in the snow, but I'll admit that I got them over this past summer, so I have not tried them yet. However, the DM-V1s also work just fine on our trucks for a winter tire and I have a set on my 19" rims sitting in the garage.
Good to hear no issues w/ changing the interiors to LED's. Been thinking about just doing color match bulbs on the fogs instead. One of your previous posts is where I got the idea for the Homespot. I'm about to order one myself.

Do the KO2's come in 19"? From what I've seen, I'm inclined to say no. My only reservation with going with my usual DM-V1's is that I'll be back on these all-seasons when I go in the sand or where ever next summer. Might just cross that bridge later.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/iClever-Bluet.../dp/B00GJFGE0K

and have been very happy with it. Works with my phone, streams music is off when the key is out.

Quick Reply: New (to me) LR3 and a few ?'s