LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Road speed 40kph

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 05:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Road speed 40kph

The maximum speed of LR3 at off-road height is 40kph. This is ridiculously slow. Does anyone know how to remove this speed restriction or increase it to something more realistic.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

yes -- Add lift rods, It tricks the vehicle into thinking it is lower than it is. Proud Rhino seem popular.

Not sure why you need to go faster in off road height though, if you are off road.

Remember as slow as possible, as fast as necessary..

The following users liked this post:
Tadpole (06-28-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Is yours a Canadian model? My US model top speed is 35 MPH which is closer to 55KPH

Tadpole (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 06:36 AM
Drifting

I am in Australia and have just returned from trip into the Simpson desert. To successfully cross the sand dunes takes a combination of speed and low tyre pressure and although the vehicle speed might not be 40kph the wheels can exceed this as they grab for traction. Off_Road height needed due to softness/depth of sand. Many outback tracks have deep wheel ruts which are good for travelling except the centre ridge requires use of high clearance. I will investigate the Proud Rhino option.
If I could change the max speed to the US model of 35mph I would be delighted.

Thank you

Tadpole ........... 2007 LR3 SE TDV6

Old 06-28-2015, 01:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That makes perfect sense then... I have an electronic device you can use to do it if you do not want to add lift rods... It's new in the box I can send it do you, or you can order it from Italy.. About 350USD

ANITAS SUSPENSION UNIT | MUDTECH 4×4

Tadpole (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by unseenone
That makes perfect sense then... I have an electronic device you can use to do it if you do not want to add lift rods... It's new in the box I can send it do you, or you can order it from Italy.. About 350USD

ANITAS SUSPENSION UNIT | MUDTECH 4×4

The lift rods don't meet my criteria but your suggestion of the Anitas Suspension Unit looks great and I have checked it out using your link. Have discovered another electronic unit "Llams" which I will check before making a final decision, but certainly my choice will be electronic. I will get back to you on this.
Thanks for your input

Old 07-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

GAP's IIDTool can also do what you need.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I wouldn't dispute that. The one I mentioned has a couple of side benefits. It will lower the vehicle slightly at highway speeds, and will save some fuel. This is not an issue for our Australian friend probably though.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default want to stay at max height?

So, you want to stay at max height while driving fast?

well, adding lift rods gives you that 2.5 inches of lift all the time, and still gives you 2.25 more when you request off road height.

Problem is, the computer will take away that 2.25 of "off road" when your speed is too high (such as wheel spin). So if you really need the height and you also need the wheel speed, the simplest thing to do is set yourself at max height and then pull the fuse for the air suspension. The vehicle can not gain or lose air in the bags without that fuse, therefore, your height is locked.

the message board will ding its little chime just to annoy the hell out of you and tell you max speed is 30km/h, but the vehicle is fully capable (with the exception of Stability control and Special Program traction control). The speed limit is just a safety message alerting the driver to a problem and that the vehicle "could be" unstable at elevated height and high speed.

This could get you out of a pinch, but is a very short term solution.

I have rods lift rods, and if I swap back to original rods I can see a substantial difference in handling, so just be aware that the added height comes at a cost of changing alignment angles and steering performance and such.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle

He does not want lift rods, they do not fit his criteria.

Quick Reply: Off Road speed 40kph