LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting all the flares on my LR3

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Painting all the flares on my LR3

Hi friends,

I own a LR3 , and i want to paint all the falis and black parts to the same color of the car, does anyone has done this to their car?, what type of additive did you use!, has the paint come off? please people reply so i can have a clear idea of what im going to do.

Thanks

PLEASE REPLY...

Last edited by carlitonsky; 03-12-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pop them off properlyl prep the items you plan on painting and I would add a flex agent to the paint. you want to do that when painting plastic it allows the paint to flex with the plastic. You may get away with out it due to how hard the plastic is. get a quality paint PPG or Dupont. Are you planning to do it yourself?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Three Wheeling

no , a paint shop is planning to do it, i called a few shops and they told me they couldnt waranty this paint job, as paint may go off , due to plastic!, but i have seen many people that paint themand looks great! and even the 09 lr3 comes painted, well i got this shop that have painted them and told me they make the job. I just need more info, to see if i cant get another shop to do the job for less money. Thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 06:17 AM
Winching

Don't go too cheap you may regret it. They may skimp on prep

Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling

hi friend, imposible!!! i wont painted myself!!!, it this shop that already painted one , and they know how to do it. The one that painted the other LR3 told me he can do the job for less on another location , so im hopping everything goes allrigth, the one they painted , it was painted like 3 years ago , and it still looks great. So im counting on hes experience and of course the waranty of the paint job.. YOurs painted?..thanks

Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Winching

No I have not painted mine. I grew up doing body work. If mine starts to fade I'll shoot it. Ya, if you don't have experience painting I would not shoot it yourself. To nice of a vehicle to learn on. If they will warranty it and you have seen their work go with them. You just want to stay away from those big box body shops. They give low est. and do crappy prep and put additives in the paint to make it adhere.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Three Wheeling

drzjoint !!! , but is additives and flex agent the same?, couse he told me that what it needs to be done, is to use a special additive for the paint!. he did not tell me anything about flex agent (now ill tell him about that), the thing is please reply asap so i can speak with base. The one they painted is a white one, and i saw it and its pretty and the paint looked great. The paint to be honest dosent have the shiny look like metal!, so is this something that flex agent gives?..

for pics of the lr3 painted, look this website , http://nwoods.smugmug.com/gallery/18...91846305_AmJhz look for the white LR3 , look how good it looks.. i tried to contact this car owner to ask him about hes experience on this paint job , but i havent got response.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Winching

A flex agent is an additive. That is cool.
What is not cool are additives to prevent fisheyes wich are caused by having a poorly preped surface or impuities in the paint alot of box shops use it. I doubt he uses it. He would have only mentioned adding somthing to the paint if it was the flex agent. Just the fact he even told you that much I would think he is cool.

Dont forget to post pics of it finished

Old 03-14-2009, 10:59 PM
Three Wheeling

lets hope !!.. ill post pictures when i do it..per haps you know were can i get the parking sensor for the front part of the lr3? , couse i think LR sell them with the bumper!!, do you know if thoes aftermarkts are the same sizes??.. thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Three Wheeling

They also sell the pieces after market, but they'd probably cost more than what you'll pay getting them painted. However, it would color match exactly.

Last edited by davidlt; 03-17-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Painting all the flares on my LR3