LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake fault last night, today...Dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 08:34 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Parking brake fault last night, today...Dead

Hello! I got the dreaded series of alarms over the last couple of days - random stuff, not all at once:
Speed too high for range change
Transmission fault (accompanied by a little gear bump)
Special programs off
Parking brake fault

I did a little troubleshooting last night - passenger floorboard was damp. truck started and ran fine, I was just getting the Parking brake fault.
This morning, I unlock the vehicle, put the key in ignition and get all the usual dingers and lights. Turn the key and everything goes dark...uh oh.

I'm guessing my sunroof drain failed and soaked the CJB...I could use some more experienced insight though...

Old 12-10-2020, 01:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Update

K.I.S.S.

When I pulled into the drive last night and did my troubleshooting, it was dark - I was doing everything with the trusty Streamlight. I looked at a lot of things - immediately assuming the worst.
But, once the sun came up I went thru everything again. It was a loose negative battery cable. I pulled the lid off the box last night and put my hands on the negative and positive cables - but it was cold, I had gloves on, I still had on all my duty gear, my grandmother dropped acid and hijacked a bus full of nuns, my brother got his head stuck in the microwave...(anyone?) In short, I was rushed. I should have paid more attention to what my Rover was trying to tell me - she doesn’t complain much - even with 177K on the clock.
A quick adjustment and re-torque, and she responded happily to the turn of the key.

While it won’t always hold true with an LR3, the simplest solution is USUALLY the correct one.

Old 12-10-2020, 01:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

....sounds like you still have a water ingress issue to address, though.

The following users liked this post:
DakotaTravler (12-10-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Indeed I do. I replaced the windshield finishing trim in the spring. Now its time to really start pulling things apart. Honestly - this is the part I really like about owning this vehicle - I love to wrench and tinker!

Old 03-21-2021, 09:53 PM
Three Wheeling

So...
Roof drain wasn’t the issue. I verified it is clear and not running in behind my dash. I had everything apart to do it - pulled the central junction box to access it. I cleaned all the connections while is was under there while electrical parts cleaner - let everything dry overnight - put it back together. Everything was good. Truck seemed to be running great. I have not however found where my water intrusion is coming from.

Fast forward 3 months. I am arriving to work, fan (A/C) shuts off, radio shuts off, door locks start cycling, flashers are on and the messages and lights are abundant . Suspension lowered, HDC not available, park break fault...I’m probably missing some. I pulled off into a parking lot, the turn signals didn’t work either. I shut it off - it wouldn’t restart. It just clicked. A few times of turning the key on and off, and clearing faults with my GAP tool and it started back up.

With the GAP tool reading - my volts while running were 13.7 - 12.5 with engine off.
Sifting thru other threads I found very similar faults associated with the parking assist ECU. Although - I have been getting random faults for a few weeks now; Instrument cluster - lost communication...various others. I took screen shots to help with diagnostics.

Tonight I pulled the CJB again to see if I missed anything. Everything is clean and dry. I replaced the brake light switch and brake light bulbs (never a bad place to start) and fired the truck back up - same result. All of the above messages and ‘glitches’. I disconnected the battery again, pulled the park brake switch and HDC controller and cleaned all those connections too...same result.
I am out of tricks...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
JT

Last edited by Dv8er; 03-21-2021 at 10:27 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-21-2021, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dv8er
So...
Roof drain wasn’t the issue. I verified it is clear and not running in behind my dash. I had everything apart to do it - pulled the central junction box to access it. I cleaned all the connections while is was under there while electrical parts cleaner - let everything dry overnight - put it back together. Everything was good. Truck seemed to be running great. I have not however found where my water intrusion is coming from.

Fast forward 3 months. I am arriving to work, fan (A/C) shuts off, radio shuts off, door locks start cycling, flashers are on and the messages and lights are abundant . Suspension lowered, HDC not available, park break fault...I’m probably missing some. I pulled off into a parking lot, the turn signals didn’t work either. I shut it off - it wouldn’t restart. It just clicked. A few times of turning the key on and off, and clearing faults with my GAP tool and it started back up.

Tonight I pulled the CJB again to see if I missed anything. Everything is clean and dry. I replaced the brake light switch and brake light bulbs (never a bad place to start) and fired the truck back up - same result. All of the above messages and ‘glitches’. I disconnected the battery again, pulled the park brake switch and HDC controller and cleaned all those connections too...same result.
I am out of tricks...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
JT
Water getting to the CJB would likely be from a warped cowl. Water getting in from there goes right onto the back of it.

Check the ground strap itself and the connection to the body. Known to corrode leading to electrical nightmares like this

Old 03-25-2021, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling

I might be on to something....

Frame rail on the passenger side is FULL of water.

Where is this coming from?!?

Old 03-25-2021, 03:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I mean there are generally 3 places it gets in from:

1. Sunroof drain
2. Windshield Cowl and Filter Box
3. A-Pillar

Have you checked all three?

Old 03-25-2021, 03:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I mean there are generally 3 places it gets in from:

1. Sunroof drain
2. Windshield Cowl and Filter Box
3. A-Pillar

Have you checked all three?
A-pillar can be the source despite looking ok. Test is to pull on it gently, if it easily comes up you need new clips. As well as the "run water over it" test.

For the sunroof, pour water into the sunroof tray and confirm it's coming out from the passenger corner. Even if the bottom connection looks ok, the top could've end come off

Old 03-25-2021, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling

I replaced the windshield cowl and A-Pillar covers in August of 2019. Cowl is tight, but there does appear to be a ‘wrinkle’ in the rubber seal of the passenger side A pillar seal against the window...🤔

Hate to keep asking questions - what equipment lives down there where all that water is?

Quick Reply: Parking brake fault last night, today...Dead