LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proud Rhino LR3 Power Panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 08:04 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Proud Rhino LR3 Power Panel

I've edited this post after spending an hour or so trying to get the panel to fit to reflect my reduced frustration level.

I bought the Proud Rhino Power Panel from Lucky 8 (https://lucky8llc.com/collections/lr3-power-panel), thinking it was a perfect solution to get some clean-looking switches into my cab to control lights, and an ARB compressor in the future. It seemed like it would be relatively pain free to install, but were are a couple of issues for those interested in installing one of these.

The female quick-disconnect terminals on the back of the 12v lighter-plug interfere with the plastic on the dashboard, so that the flanges on the power panel won't sit flat (which could have easily been avoided if the plug was place right about where the rhino is, then it would sit right in the OEM cigarette lighter cavity), but since it isn't, the terminals will just barely clear if you flip them so that the wires point up, instead of down. I plan to remake the wiring harness, so it's cleaner, but the one it comes with would work.

Last edited by evsteroo; 12-15-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

I bought a panel like that from a member here, it was a six-switch with center USB power. Got it from a member here that own CARRS4X4 ($40). They shipped it with 90 degree connectors for the back side.

The following users liked this post:
evsteroo (12-16-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Those CARS4X4 options are so much better. I wish I had known about those before I spent an extra $70 to have one with a rhino cut-out. Thanks for the tip, I'll get one of those if I ever add more switches.

As far as the right-angle quick-disconnects are concerned, the one I bought had right-angle quick-disconnects too, but it still didn't fit until I flipped them upside down.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:24 PM
Drifting

I finally got it wired up into the dash, with the +12v wires hanging out in the hood until I get some time to install the relays, etc. Here's what it looked like right before and right after I installed it. I ended up completely redoing all of the wiring, because the Proud Rhino wiring was just not up to par, so all the wiring here is my own handiwork.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:57 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey so I just got one of these and installed it into my truck.

How did you get around cutting the wires from the truck? And what did you do with the extra wires from the power outlet on the other side? I cut off the attachment for the lighter, stripped the wires and slipped them in the quick attachment.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:49 PM
7th Gear
Default Power panel

So do u need relays for the installation?i just got tuff rok..took out all consoles..i thought it was plug n play..nope..so im amateur at best..but good w instructions..but tuff rok sent me minimum instructions..and no wires..so im stuck..i did email tuff rok and let them know how incompetent they are..so if anyone could walk me through the wiring i would be appreciative..ty

Old 03-15-2021, 10:13 PM
Drifting

Petru, I'm not sure what you mean by cutting the wires from the truck. I didn't cut any wires, and any unused female spade connectors I just left hanging. You can do whatever you want with the extra wires from the secondary 12V cigarette lighter, but I used the 12V from the secondary 12V cigarette lighter to supply constant power to the switches that have "always on" lights (my ARB switches on the far right in the pic below).

Bbulldog, yeah you need relays for pretty much anything. You don't want to have the current from any major appliance or light running behind your dashboard. It'd mean you'd need thick low-gauge wires and it would be dangerous. With the pre-wired cigarette lighter connections in the LR3, it allows you to run only 12V leads out to the engine bay (a single one for each relay you use) and you can ground your relays somewhere in the engine bay close to where you mount the relays.

Here is a picture of how I wired my switch panel, and the newer panel I'm using from CARRS 4x4. I decided, since I was going to install a locking differential, 3 switches just wasn't enough.

I should say that the wiring in this photo was before I wired the ARB switches how ARB recommends them... with the 12V "input" on the locker switch coming from the 12V "output" on the air compressor switch, when wired that way, both switches must be on in order to engage the locker. This is how I wired it when I thought I wanted individual 12V "outputs" from each switch.

Last edited by evsteroo; 03-15-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:41 PM
7th Gear
Default Tuff rok

I appreciate the pics..but i have tuff rok powe panel..looks nothing like pic so im none the wiser..back tuff rok has 5 connectors each w 2 prongs

Old 03-15-2021, 11:46 PM
7th Gear
Default Tuff rok

Also i see bunch different color wires..so now im more confused..i really wanna do it myself..looks like i have to pay someone

Old 03-16-2021, 08:20 AM
6th Gear

Evsteroo: So you kind of covered it. I had cut the female spade connector to the cigarette lighter to slip the wires into the quick connectors on the panel. I just got my LR3 a few months ago so this for me was a prerequisite purchase to buying spot and flood lights in the future. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't creating a potential drain point since I know that can be a huge problem for rovers in general. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Proud Rhino LR3 Power Panel