LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA on changing your PCV

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Also, as a note, my MPG has improved as well after changing. I would assume if yours is still functioning normally it might not. Now when the valve goes bad, you will burn more oil than fuel, but I assume there was some type of decline of the valve. A trip from NJ to VT and back a few weeks prior yielded 16.5 MPG. My same trip after the new valve this past weekend was 18.2. 400 miles on the tank. I also ran a can of seafoam through the tank to help try and clean out some of what burning oil gunked up, but still, fairly good gains. I was getting those MPG's last year, and recently saw the dip.
How'd you manage 400 on the tank at 18.2?! Do you have some extra hidden tank? lol

I only ask because I went on a road trip last year and managed just over 20mpg (by some miracle) without resetting once, over 400 miles. I literally refilled at about 403mi with about "15mi till empty" showing.

I just did the math and that's only about a 2 gallon difference actually.

Still I'd be lucky to get 16-17 now with these 20's and 275/55s on now

Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
How'd you manage 400 on the tank at 18.2?! Do you have some extra hidden tank? lol

I only ask because I went on a road trip last year and managed just over 20mpg (by some miracle) without resetting once, over 400 miles. I literally refilled at about 403mi with about "15mi till empty" showing.

I just did the math and that's only about a 2 gallon difference actually.

Still I'd be lucky to get 16-17 now with these 20's and 275/55s on now
Yes, it was pushing it! I never run the tank that low, but was coming back late from a ski trip. I passed the last rest area on the NY thruway with about 30 miles left on the computer and figured I might as well just go to the border where gas is 50 cents cheaper so I would save $10. Plus I was running the seafoam through that trip so wanted to get it at full concentration as possible. I filled up at 399 miles and got 21.6 gallons. So real world fuel economy was 18.5 with 18.2 showing on the computer. The tank holds just under 23 gallons... so could have gone a bit more if needed! The computer and gauge get much lower as you get closer to empty though which can be deceiving. They do that I suppose so you don't blaim LR for running out of fuel!

Old 02-23-2016, 07:47 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Yes, it was pushing it! I never run the tank that low, but was coming back late from a ski trip. I passed the last rest area on the NY thruway with about 30 miles left on the computer and figured I might as well just go to the border where gas is 50 cents cheaper so I would save $10. Plus I was running the seafoam through that trip so wanted to get it at full concentration as possible. I filled up at 399 miles and got 21.6 gallons. So real world fuel economy was 18.5 with 18.2 showing on the computer. The tank holds just under 23 gallons... so could have gone a bit more if needed! The computer and gauge get much lower as you get closer to empty though which can be deceiving. They do that I suppose so you don't blaim LR for running out of fuel!
LOL when I ran your numbers I think I got 21.6 also, that's funny.. yeah that seems like a big tank but I still can't believe the DII has a 25 gallon tank. I guess with the old push rod 4.0 and 4spd you end up getting about the same distance out of it

Old 09-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the PCV looks easy enough to access and is inexpensive... My mind's eye is picturing Admiral Ackbar screaming "Its a trap!" How, exactly does one change out the PCV?

Old 09-08-2016, 11:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by K9Hexe
So the PCV looks easy enough to access and is inexpensive... My mind's eye is picturing Admiral Ackbar screaming "Its a trap!" How, exactly does one change out the PCV?
Remove the two torx screws holding it on, unplug the return line fitting and lift the PCV up. Just pops out no fuss. Don't lose those screws though, and don't overtighten.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

....still laughing about the Admiral Ackbar reference.

The following users liked this post:
K9Hexe (09-10-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Star Wars fans on this forum? I knew I liked you guys.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Please heed this PSA (it's not a trap!), because I didn't and I suffered the consequences. I figured I would get around to it, but it failed one morning on my way to work after posting here and it either burned so much oil it went low and damaged engine internals or it hydro-locked with all the oil going into the intake. Long story short I needed a new engine.

The following users liked this post:
K9Hexe (09-17-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha yes, when things seem too easy with the LR3, Admiral Ackbar in my head usually at least gets me to slow down a bit. Thank you for the PSA on the PCV. I have one on order now along with the ignition capacitor.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by djkronik57
Please heed this PSA (it's not a trap!), because I didn't and I suffered the consequences. I figured I would get around to it, but it failed one morning on my way to work after posting here and it either burned so much oil it went low and damaged engine internals or it hydro-locked with all the oil going into the intake. Long story short I needed a new engine.
You've seriously narrowed this down to the PCV?!?!

That's absolutely insane.

I replaced mine while diagnosing a slight miss on my motor a few months ago, but the new and old looked identical. Cheap insurance I guess (well, especially after what you said!)

I was checking for the clues though. I mean they hold like 8 qts of oil, for you to go empty to the point of seizing a motor, you must have generated some EPIC smoke screens! Plus usually if you can shut her down within a couple seconds of a low oil press warning, you're fine. Still kinda shocked you need a new engine due to the failure of a cheapo piece of plastic!

Quick Reply: PSA on changing your PCV