LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about brake pads

I am on a business trip in STL and on the drive here my brake light flashed on the dash and the message center said "check brake pads". So I looked up the local dealer->Plaza Motor Co in Creve Coeur MO and dropped it off for a quote. The dealership experience was A1 and I got a free loaner, but is $1300 [:@] an inflated price for the dealer doing front and rear pad brake service? Fronts were down to 8% and rears were 12%, so I said do both. What did you pay for front and rear pad brake service?

2nd question: Is there anyone that makes a ceramic pad for the LR3 or one that has reduced brake dust?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Drifting
Default RE: Question about brake pads

I have no first hand experience, since I've only had my LR3 for about a week [8D], but I was reading an article online about the LR3 and they mentioned brakes…keep in mind it was written in late 2005, but here's the quote.

"Our sole out-of-pocket costs went toward a quart of synthetic oil ($7) and, after 21,000 miles, new front and rear brake pads ($613.69). "

Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is nothing special about changing out your brake pads on the LR3. Anyone witha little know howand the right tools can change the brake pads themselves and save a bundle. However, for those out there without the know how or the right tools, or simply not feeling like doing the work yourself ([sm=guilty.gif]) any brake shop can change out your brake pads professionaly, with warranty and at a fraction of the dealer cost. Try Midas, Kregors, Pepboys, whatever local shop is available in your area. Should not cost you more than a few hundred bucks, I'm guessing.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Overlanding

Had mine done recently at a dealership in Charlotte, NC and paid around $850.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Three Wheeling

***UPDATE**** Got the Rover back from Plaza Motors today and all I can say is WOW. They did an outstanding job on my brakes, oil change, performed recall P045 option C, performed steering recall, washed and detailed it for free and got it back to me within a day and a half. All with a totally free loaner!!!!

(I misunderstood the service writer: They replaced Front & Rear brake pads, New Rotors & Pad Sensors, Rear E Brake shoes)

TOTAL: $1458.87 AND WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!!

It looks brand new and drives brand new and I could not be happier.

KUDOS TO PLAZA MOTORS in CREVE COEUR MO <> A TRUE 5 STAR DEALER!!!!!!

Btw: Im not sure why the automotive journalist mentioned in the above post had brakes replaced at 21,000 miles. I didn't have mine done until 58K!!!!
What the hell were they doing? Driving it around Willow Springs Raceway? Did his teenager borrow it on weekends??? [:@]

Old 08-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

58k, no, theyve been done before, i promiss, ive only seen one set go past 30. youre stopping a 7000 lb car with soft pads, they go quick

Old 08-30-2008, 11:08 PM
4wd Low

WOW glad I saw this. I guess I should not complain about my brake job I had done this week. My mechanic completed both front and back for all four wheels and cost me $414. I thought that maybe he was a little high since he works on all 4 of my vehicles. Local home owned shop been around for a long time. I just wished I could get him to work on other items for my LR3.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear

Roverguy7, you have me more than a bit concerned right now. I have a 2005 LR3 HSE that I bought "new" from the dealer with 10,000 miles on it (demo car). It now has 52,000 and I have not had to have anything done to the brakes yet. I haven't noticed any decrease in performance either (or maybe it has just been so gradual that I don't feel it). The car is in, as I type this, for the 7th service & inspection and for the recall on the Rotary Coupler Wiring Fracture as well as a "transmission fault" issue. Wonder what they will tell me about the brakes when I go to pick it up........

Another quick, totally non-related question.......does anyone know why on this forum, when you type an apostrophe in your post, it prints as a quotation mark?

Old 09-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

are you sure hunnib??? are you the only one that has taken the car in, not your husband or anything(assuming youre a chick based on the name, my bad if im wrong) but if youre getting it serviced as you should, and since youre paying for this one i guess you are, they should have said something. i would call the dealer and ask them to take a look, they do everytime you take it in, but just ask them where they are, theyll give you a measurement in millimeters or percent. above 3 mm or about 20 percent youre good, under those, you need at least pads. also, what kind of driving do you do, a lot of highway? theyll go a lot further if youre driving across country and not using them on the highway, i live around DC and theres a lot of traffic, so i dont doubt that other places people will get better miliage to their pads, but over twice what i see normally seems strange... and as to the apostraphy, cant help you, ' seems to work for me

Old 09-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

While we're on the subject of brakes, my LR3 is at almost 35k so I expect to need new brakes in the near future. What is everyone using on theirs as replacement? I hear a lot of talk about "green" pads andperforated rotors. Is there a "sweet" pad/rotor combo that is currently working well for the LR3, not messing with the electronics shooting codes and perhaps increasing performance, lasting longer than factory? Are perforated rotors smart for an off road vehicle?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Quick Reply: Question about brake pads