LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover vs LR3

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nevillusa
Hello again,

1. I took some snapshots of the Winch.

2. Bad news - I found a really good off-road shop near where I am this week, Springfield, Missouri, to talk about a Remote Control for the Winch. We connected a Warn Remote, but nothing happened. Bottom line, after doing some pretty good testing, and trying to trace the Winch wiring all through the system, there's a pretty good chance that something's wrong.... Don't know what yet. Didn't have time to take everything off and apart to test properly.

3. Good news - I owned the vehicle for more than 24 hrs before discovering something wrong with the vehicle.

Having lived with a Range Rover as both my daily driver and off-road vehicle for 5 years, it would actually be a significant lifestyle change if I had a vehicle that wasn't in need of constant repair, and I'm actually pretty comfortable with my current lifestyle, so my 'Glass Half Full' attitude will remain intact.

Having said that, it would be nice it the Winch worked, so any advice is gratefully received.

Thanks, Simon
Ok first: The Winch is the factory winch tray and once you get it running you will be able to real it in to just the hook, but most hook the hook to the tow point ring just underneath.. Second: the most likely starting point is the the winch solonoid. Many of our off-road club members have had the warn solonoid go out and changed it out for a more simple design from a super-winch. you can easily test the motor to find out.
Third: the aluminum plate in your photo is actually the factory sump (under bumper) guard manufactured by Mantec and is not cheap. Can't get much better then that unless you replace it all with a heavy ARB type steel bumper. There should be a stell black plate just beyond it that is the under engine plate. then you canb add another after that to cover the tranny and even one to cover the gas tank and of course rock sliders. Looks like you are set up pretty good out of the gates for off-road.

Last edited by trynian; 03-05-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Overlanding

Congrats ! Skid plate is definitely aftermarket and looks strong on the pictures

Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Mudding
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks everybody for your support and sharing your knowledge.

Drove my new toy last night from Springfield, Missouri to Madison, WI. Very keen to start playing around with it.

First step, try to diagnose Winch issue, which is why I'm continuing this thread, as it already has some pics and info.

(Moderator - Fell free to tell me to start a new thread if I need to - I'm new to this forum, and not sure of the culture / etiquette yet...)

I spent a small amount of time on you-tube taking a look at some Warn Winch videos. Seems to be pretty straight forward to fix what's broke. I plan to take the gear housing apart and check for any water damage (rust, etc), and I should probably re-grease everything. What's the cheapest way to repair any gearbox-related issues? Rusted cogs and damaged seals? Is there a 'kit' available?

The motor assembly - I've never stripped a motor apart before, and I'm absolutely horrible with electronics. Any advice for a complete novice? I own a multi-meter, but don't really know how to use it or read it.... Sorry, just being honest. I plan to educate myself, but at this point need a step-by-step tutorial!

Someone mentioned that the Winch 'Solenoid(s) may be bad. Thoughts? How to test?

Basically, before I get too deep into stripping the Winch apart, I would like to diagnose what's wrong with it.

I'm thinking that because of my almost complete ignorance regarding motors and electrics, I should probably get a professional to diagnose. How long should it take someone with good knowledge to diagnose the issue? Is there likely to be much stripping-down of internals to diagnose?

I know, very ignorant questions, but throw a newbee a bone here....

Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nevillusa
I am well aware that any Land Rover is an 'interesting' vehicle to own, and I'm willing to put up with the weird stuff and fix when necessary. In other words, I have the time and motivation to fix what I can, and am happy to pay someone else when I need to. I consider the 'cost' of Land Rover ownership to be worth it. In other words, please shoot me if you ever see me in a Prius.
Thank you. My sentiments exactly.

I've not driven a RR, but the only thing that I wish my LR3 has is a bit more pickup. I'm used to relatively fast cars - and this is different for me, not bad, but different. I think that the supercharged RR might solve that issue. I'm sure it isn't a Porsche or Saleen, but it probably gets on the interstate with a bit more haste.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM
5th Gear

If you get that winch working I would get a safety thimble for it, like a factor 55 or a Viking. Factor is the easiest to install. It would clean up the look so you don't have to wrap the line around everything.