LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear on bumpstops

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015 | 08:19 AM
|
Winching
Default Rear on bumpstops

Yesterday, I had to jump onto the sidewalk at about 10mph to move out of the way of an emergency vehicle. I was near a driveway, so the front didn't take the brunt of the curb like the rear suspension did. It wasn't that big of a curb either, just felt it more in the rear as it clipped it. Continued driving with no issue.

This morning, the rear is all the way down on the bump stops. First time dealing with EAS issues. Given no prior problems, I'm guessing this and the curb hit are related.

What damage could have been done to cause this, or where should I start troubleshooting? The truck has 90k miles. Hoped the EAS was a bit more durable than this!

Old 11-09-2015 | 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

I would check the connections of the bag that took the most abuse. Pump it up into raised mode, squirt some soapy water on the connections and around the bag/strut and see what it does. Also, check the rear valve block as well as the lines feeding it all the way to the pump itself.

Old 11-09-2015 | 11:47 AM
|
Winching

Thanks, I'll do that after I try removing fuse F26 tonight to see if it is just one wheel or the whole rear.

Question on the auto-leveling after shut-down: Does the system try to level by axle, side of the car, or all 4 corners?

I found it a little strange that primarily the rear was lowered, with all fuses intact. Only thing I can think of is that the fronts leveled to a minimum threshold whereas the rears (caused by whatever I'm trying to diagnose) went all the way to the bump stops.

Last edited by djkronik57; 11-09-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-09-2015 | 02:48 PM
Camel Trophy

I think it is coincidental. Most of us have off-roaded our LR3s regularly and bumps have not caused EAS issues. That said it's certainly possible there was a pre-existing condition and the curb caused something to jar loose. What fault messages are you getting?

Old 11-09-2015 | 10:13 PM
|
Winching

Don't have anything more than a simple generic code reader, but nothing showing up on that. IID tool is on the Christmas list.

When I got home today (drove my other car) the front was almost as low as the rear, so maybe the self leveling just takes a little bit to level fully.

Started it up and it rose right up to normal height, no problem. Compressor ran for a little longer than normal (about a minute). Pushed it up to offroad and took out fuses F26 and F3. We'll see where it stands in the morning.

Old 11-10-2015 | 12:23 AM
Camel Trophy

I didn't mean what codes with a reader...I just meant what were the icons illuminated and messages in the info center on the dash...?

Old 11-10-2015 | 08:44 AM
|
Winching

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I didn't mean what codes with a reader...I just meant what were the icons illuminated and messages in the info center on the dash...?
Nothing. Absolutely normal.

This morning, after 12 hours, it didn't appear anything had sunk down with fuse F26 and F3 removed. I'm leaving it for another 12 to see what happens...but it was definitely all the way down after 12 hours before. Not sure what this means. Maybe it was just a one time quirk?

Old 11-10-2015 | 11:04 PM
Camel Trophy

I think you been hittin' the kronik too hard, DJ.

If there are no fault messages or icons lit, there is nothing wrong. Maybe you accidentally hit the switch for Access height while getting out of the car and didn't notice. I mean, without a fault how can you tell that you are at bumpstops and not just at Access?

...rub some dirt on it.

Old 11-11-2015 | 08:30 AM
|
Winching

So 36 hours with the fuses removed and it was still up. 20 inches from center of the wheel to fender in the front, 21 in the rear.

I popped the fuses back in and drove it to work today. Wondering if this was a one time glitch and the auto-leveling just got it wrong. I'll keep an eye on it with the fuses in. If it does drop, I'm guessing it is something like an air pressure sensor or height sensor throwing the leveling off?

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I think you been hittin' the kronik too hard, DJ.

If there are no fault messages or icons lit, there is nothing wrong. Maybe you accidentally hit the switch for Access height while getting out of the car and didn't notice. I mean, without a fault how can you tell that you are at bumpstops and not just at Access?

...rub some dirt on it.
Pretty sure the wheels tucked up into the wells and cambered like a tricked out Honda is lower than Access Height. I was taller than the truck, and I'm not that tall. It also took quite some time to raise up when I started it up and went right to normal height.

This picture is after it fully dropped (24 hours). At 12 hours, it looked like I had 2000lbs in the back. The rear was nearly on the ground and the front was normal height.

Name:  9IGGBaU.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  1,010.6 KB

Last edited by djkronik57; 11-11-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2015 | 10:39 AM
Baja

Looks like my parts truck on the stops due to an air leak

I don't know bout you but our 05 when you shut it off after 30 seconds? Lowers some you can Hear the valves clicking and releasing air, start it up and it pops back up, seems odd but always does it

Quick Reply: Rear on bumpstops