LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear bushing upper knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 11:35 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear bushing upper knuckle

Quick one…which way does this bushing push out to remove? Towards the front or towards the back? I can’t see a lip…

Old 03-28-2022, 11:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

Either way. Only the lower is directional w/locking ring that comes out also.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:36 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Either way. Only the lower is directional w/locking ring that comes out also.
thanks.

follow up to this…having a miserable time getting the old one out. Anyone have some magic in terms of tools etc. ? Homemade or otherwise.

Old 03-29-2022, 04:40 PM
Camel Trophy

A friend used a press kit from Amazon to do his. Having a hydraulic press helps too.

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-29-2022, 10:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 217 Likes on 191 Posts

A friend used a press kit from Amazon to do his. Having a hydraulic press helps too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BH22YCR...KZBQNPZAYC3VYJ
I have that exact kit, works well for the LCA bush replacement.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:33 AM
Mudding

Ok. Tool procured. Help!

tried this am.

I am finding the bushing wants to pivot when being pressed in. Ie) it doesn’t go in straight. Does this eventually right itself so it sits proper or should I make sure it’s straight through and through before continuing to press?

Old 04-02-2022, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy

You want it as straight as possible or it could score the inside of the knuckle making it even harder to install. Is it an OEM bushing? If not, that may be why. We did a truck last year and has non-OEM bushings to use. They were designed differently and on the edges they were just a little different and that caused all hell trying to install. OEM bushings on the next set were not an issue. There is a video with this kit and bushings showing how well it worked, but I am not sure if that was sent to be privately or if its online. The person to ask is "nevillusa" on here. Try a private message to him. He and I even discussed rebuilding cores for people with new backing plates, bearings, etc. Cause they are not available online built up and ready to go.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:03 PM
Mudding

thanks. I’ll see if i can message him.

these are not oem so there may lay the issue. However these are the part prescribed by the store but am sure they are for other models.

For the life of me I couldn’t figure out why it just wanted to skew in one direction.

You want it as straight as possible or it could score the inside of the knuckle making it even harder to install. Is it an OEM bushing? If not, that may be why. We did a truck last year and has non-OEM bushings to use. They were designed differently and on the edges they were just a little different and that caused all hell trying to install. OEM bushings on the next set were not an issue. There is a video with this kit and bushings showing how well it worked, but I am not sure if that was sent to be privately or if its online. The person to ask is "nevillusa" on here. Try a private message to him. He and I even discussed rebuilding cores for people with new backing plates, bearings, etc. Cause they are not available online built up and ready to go.

Old 04-02-2022, 12:09 PM
Camel Trophy

Its not that they may be for other vehicles, they are probably not, its that they have a different design. I think they ones we had and hated had very rounded corners/shoulders if you will. So it was hard to get them to lock into place. The OEM ones has sharper edges so they set easier. If that makes sense and if I am recalling things right. Also side note, if they are not OEM expect to replace again in a year or two.

Old 04-02-2022, 05:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 217 Likes on 191 Posts

Use your finger to wipe a tiny amount of grease on the bush or in the bore, they will straighten themselves out but you don't want it to go in crooked or you may distort the metal sleeve of the bush.

Quick Reply: Rear bushing upper knuckle