LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch upper half struts loose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Rear hatch upper half struts loose?

I got to thinking that there appear to be a number of new LR3 owners on the forum. The link below refers to a concern that most likely has been already dealt with on your 3, but regardless, deserves a check.

The cost of the fix is free, (you need a 1/2" or 13mm open wrench), and the fix if needed, can be done standing up - very rare I might add.

Briefly, the top ball nut holding the upper hatch right hand side strut to the D post unscrews itself. The long term fix is some Loctite on the threads. The short term is just tightening it up.

The reason it can be a real problem is that LR in their brilliance did not weld a threaded nut inside, (at least in the early models), but instead just used a loose nut and attached the ball portion prior to installing the interior. As such, when the ball portion self un-threads, the nut disappears and you can guess what the fix now is.

If when you inspect, and if you you see threads, make certain on the first try, you are turning the wrench in the correct direction to tighten, otherwise you could be very unhappy. If it was loose enough, you may only get one chance to do it right the first time.

Also check the strut on the left side, but for the most part, it will be OK, the right strut is the one that is the problem.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Go and check your tailgate struts now!