LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote KEYs and Dealer games they play

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote KEYs and Dealer games they play

Many LRs are bought with only one key/remote included. This can create a nightmare if the remote is lost because you're looking at a flat-bed to a dealer, then a long wait while England LR makes a new key for you. The dealer also said that an original key needs to be in place in order to program a new one, but who knows what's true? No matter, I wanted second keys.

First, ordered a remote from Dealer ($250 after discount).

Secondly, bought an eBay remote from Remotes Inc. for $140 (new and un-cut blade).

** dealer handed it back to me ("can't use it because only the factory can cut the blade and they don't come Blade Only") I got my refund from Remotes.

Thirdly, thought about buying somebody else's remote and getting it re-cut and re-programmed to my truck. Dealer said that remotes can only be programmed One Time; making all used remotes useless.

OK, so the OEM remote came in and by that time, I'd bought a different LR and asked the parts guy if they can just make a blade, then switch blades and program the new, OEM, remote. To my surprise, he said Yes. (see ** above for the reason for my surprise).

What I think that means is that a new Blade seems to be able to be bought separately from the remote, but it might just be local dealer policy to stop us from trying to save money by buying elsewhere. Anybody have carnal knowledge of this scheme?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Key Blade LR part # CWF500011SW

It is not really a plot but these keys are part of a true high security system. That is why with high end vehicles, you now have car jacking rather than car theft.

In July 2011, my LR dealer ordered me per the part number above for my LR3, a factory cut to serial number, key blade only, (no key fob). Note that for a different year of LR3, the part number may be a bit different as key blanks may vary from year to year. The cut blank took about a month to arrive as all blanks are cut at Solihull and then sent out thru the parts distribution network.

When the cut key blade arrived from the UK, my dealer then gave me an old key LR3 fob into which I inserted the cut key blade. I have same tied under the 3 so I can get access via the hidden key hole should I lock my working key fob assembly inside.

In other words, yes, you can create a "swimming key" that can at least mechanically get you into your 3. Cost for the cut key blade shipped from the UK via Land Rover Parts was $CDN 41.77 plus taxes and included the cutting in the UK.

From date of order, it took about a month to six weeks to actually receive the cut key blade. Sometimes it takes longer as about once a year, their key cutting program fails and Solihull finds out a month later when dealers around the world communicate back that the cut key blanks do not work - then it is another month or two after that to find the glitch, fix it, and redo all.

I suggest that you order the blade factory cut as if you believe the stories, the factory blank is of a harder metal than is common and hence local locksmiths often cannot properly cut the metal. That was my experience when I first had a a big city locksmith bring in a key blank and he tried to cut it - to his surprise he could cut it, but not cleanly enough for it to work.

As to this programming and reprogramming stuff, I do not have any experience myself other than from ordering a remote complete from the dealer a couple of years ago. I do believe however the the chips within are the single programming only type. In other words, there is no EPROM chip inside, it is the burn once kind.

What this means is that if you can obtain a unburned key fob of the correct frequency, (there is more than one frequency), from somewhere, and have either the old cut blade or a new cut blade, then with the dealer T4, and with all your existing keys fobs present plus your vehicle, then the dealer can create a new key fob for you and all the others will remain working as well, doors should lock and unlock plus the engine will still start.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The key can be cut allegedly. I am about to find out, as I bought one for 129. And they company sent me a list of locksmiths in the area that can cut them.

Hold out a day or so... and we'll have our answer.

I don't believe anything is programmed into the key, just the opposite, the key is "paired" to the vehicle.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Default paired, but only once

Originally Posted by unseenone
I don't believe anything is programmed into the key, just the opposite, the key is "paired" to the vehicle.
Yes, that is correct re the term pairing, but I think something does happen internally so there can only be one "pairing" of a new unpaired key fob. That is why all the other key fobs and the vehicle have to be present at the "pairing" - almost like the new key fob is being adopted into the family.

Cutting of the new key blank will be interesting as my locksmith guys were really puzzled as to how they could fail - it was a professional affront to their abilities.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no reason a locksmith with a sidewinder key cutter shoun't be able cut a key blank as long as you have the original key.
Land rover will not sell you a blank key.
They may or may not sell you a cut blade only.
I'm not sure of their policy on this matter.
Remotes need to be programmed (or paired as siad) to the vehicle.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Hardness of the key blank metal?

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
There is no reason a locksmith with a sidewinder key cutter shouldn't be able cut a key blank as long as you have the original key.
About the only reason the locksmiths could figure as to why they were unsuccessful in cutting the Land Rover key with their sidewinder machine had to do with metallurgy. They wondered if maybe the metal of the key blank was harder than what they normally were used to.

I will certainly be interested to hear the results this time. It sure would be nice to know that local cutting is possible in fact as well as theory.

In my case, the dealer did sell me a blank cut by Solihull for my 3. Also even though they know me, I still had to show my LR3 registration before parts would hand over the cut key. As to if they would just order in an uncut blank, I do not know.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The locksmiths I called on that list all responded the same; "we can't do LRs".

The cutting seems to be a lazer cut, according to dealer. That might explain why locksmiths have a hard time/impossible time making the impressions.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

There are two of us in the area doing this. The first fellow got his cut for 15.00. It fits and turns, but he was having issues pairing it. I haven't gotten it done yet.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bamaboy473
The locksmiths I called on that list all responded the same; "we can't do LRs".

The cutting seems to be a lazer cut, according to dealer. That might explain why locksmiths have a hard time/impossible time making the impressions.
There is no such thing as a laser cut Mr Bond ;-)

Nor do Land Rover make their key blanks out of Unobtanium so that mere mortals cannot copy them.

It gave my locksmith a laugh the disinformation from the dealers. The key you get from the dealer is CNC'd (or milled) to a blank from a pattern linked to the VIN number. If you have got a key already, then it *can* be copied by a locksmith with the right mill (think they call it a sidewinder in the trade) and sufficient skill. Going to Home Depot or Lowes is probably not in that list. My locksmith spent about ten minutes making the duplicate and it works just fine mechanically. My guy charged me $15.

I plan to put together a write up once I get done. From my research the main thing to avoid on the likes of eBay are "refurbished" or "used" remotes - I'm pretty sure that once they have been paired to a vehicle, you cannot pair them to any other. They can be disabled or deactivated from the original vehicle and reinstated later (all keys must be present during a programming session otherwise absent keys *will* be disabled) but you can't move them to another vehicle once "locked" to their first vehicle.

Last edited by stmcknig; 08-07-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Not Unobtainium?

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Nor do Land Rover make their key blanks out of Unobtainium so that mere mortals cannot copy them.
That is real news and it pleasantly surprises me.

We will all appreciate followup as you have been much more successful than myself or I think anyone else. Just getting a key blank cut locally that works is I think a world first. I have not heard of anyone else succeeding.

The pairing thing, as you said, that will be more difficult.

Good luck; maybe even local pairing is possible without a LR dealer being involved.

Quick Reply: Remote KEYs and Dealer games they play