LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Hitachi compressor with AMK

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Replace Hitachi compressor with AMK

So I know the current replacement suspension compressors are AMK instead of the original Hitachi. I've also seen that they require a software update because they run slightly differently.

The question I'm here to ask is about the actual connections. It appears that the kit for the new compressor comes with extra tubes and couplings to make the new compressor fit the existing lines. Does anyone know if these parts are available separately?

The reason I ask, is that I was thinking about looking for a compressor from an LR4, used, to save some money.

The following users liked this post:
Elbaltinore (08-12-2021)
Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default early LR4 compressor same as LR3

I am pretty certain that the first couple of years of LR4 compressors were the same part number as the LR3 compressors - and same software.

Look up an early LR4 part number and it should shows fits all LR3's.

You can just about do that on eBay it seems.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you say AMK kit comes with a few extra tubes is to take into account the different piping locations on the LR3 where the Hitachi and AMK differ. I seem to recall the AMK kit I bought had a parts list so you may get lucky and be able to get the pipe adaptors by themselves - probably worth checking with your local LR parts counter. I think I threw my piece of paper out once the deed was done :-(

Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info. I think I might be able to limp along with my Hitachi compressor for a bit longer. I replaced the dryer today. Fingers crossed.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:05 PM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Range Rover sport Suspension Air Compressor

Hello All,

I need your help. I’m new on here. I have 2011 Range Rover sport. 135k miles in decent shape. All of a sudden, one of my compressor line bursted open when I started the car few days ago. It was a loud noise when this happened. Then the message “Normal Height Only Avialibe” with the yellow sign light on the dashboard on. Car still drives. I ordered the compressor on Amazon. Going by the info online, I bought the AMK compressor version and when I took it to my mechanic, he said the compressor on my car has 4 hoses lines (see the first two pictures attached). Two at the back and two in front. That the AMK version that I bought has only three lines (I think) (see the attached pic of the AMK verion), I bought wouldn’t fit the car. So, I planned to return the AMK version and buy the Hitachi version that seems to come with the car( see the attached pictures of the one I will be ordering for replacements

This is the hitachi one I planned to now ordered. This looks like the exact damaged one one my car with the two lines in front and the two lines outlet at the back.

This is the AMK version that I bought and took to the mechanic and he said can’t fit the car due to the four lines.

This is the back view of the hitachi version I’m about to order which looks like the one damaged on my car.
. Please, what do you guys think? Please, see the two pictures of the compressor on my car and the damaged hose. If I buy the hitachi version, do I still need to reprogram or recalibrate ?

See the hose (with the blue ring) that came out of the compressor.

Last edited by Elbaltinore; 08-02-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I don't believe reprogramming is required; a calibration is never a bad idea.

The following users liked this post:
Elbaltinore (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 07:24 PM
5th Gear

Hello,

So, I can just buy the Hitachi version and have the mechanic install and calibrate? Just wondering why are folks online talking about buying the AMK version rather than the Hitachi version? Any major difference? Thanks a lot fir all the information.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

The hitachi version was unavailable for many years, some say because of the tsunami in Japan, but I’m not sure if that’s verifiable. Others say the AMK was better and that’s why Land Rover switched. I have no idea which is true. I’ve had two LR3 and ran a Hitachi on one and a AMK on the other and both did the job for me.

There were updates for the Hitachi software, and if your shop can do them, it’s not a bad idea, but not mandatory to get the thing working. Supposedly they change the algorithms for how long and often the compressor runs, to allow it to run cooler or something like that.

I’d replace the relay too because it’s probably half burnt up by this point if the compressor has been over used because of leaks or whatever.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:44 PM
5th Gear

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your reply. I will order the hitachi tonite and have the mechanic install. I will also update this post regarding the out come. Thanks again .

Old 08-02-2021, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

I hope everything goes well for you.

To answer my own question above, from years ago, there is an option to buy the hose kit needed to convert to AMK. I bought my kit from Erik at Lucky 8, if I recall correctly.

Quick Reply: Replace Hitachi compressor with AMK