LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof rack question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Roof rack question

I've done research, not tons of it, but am not having luck yet as to finding an answer to my question.

I finally got a roof cage, but only have some angle brackets with it. My question is, where is the best place to find the clips that I can attach to the roof rack then clip into the factory rails? Or does everyone just make their own? I'm pretty handy with a welder so I can make about anything. Next question I'll have is how and where to attach a ladder!

Old 04-05-2016, 01:15 AM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default simple solution

The easy way to attach the roof rack brackets is to slide a "Tee nut" into the rail and then bolt the angle bracket to that. You will need at least four, but a better idea is to get eight and then a piece of flat bar (or similar) with three holes drilled in it. This way you can spread the clamping force over a greater area.

You can make a tee nut by taking a length of 1/4 thick by one inch wide flat bar and drilling and tapping the holes to the thread size you want to use (If the flat bar is a big too big for the rail, a blending wheel on a grinder can fix that rather quickly). You will notice that there are wide spots in the slots to allow the tee nut (flat bar) to be installed. The max length of the tee nut will be determined by the length of the longest wide spot in the rails.

The tee nut will be a max of about 5/16 (unless you use flat bar then the thickness is 1/4. Be sure to find an appropriate length blot so as not to damage the rails if the bolt is tightened past the bottom edge ot the tee nut. Adjust for bolt length with extra washers or by grinding the bolt a bit shorter.

As for the ladder, it depends on the type you buy. The most common one fits where the license plate light bubble is, and is attached by removing the bubble and bolting the ladder on then replacing the bubble. There are three step and four step versions.

I found this link to an install video of the type that fits the other side (with no drilling). Notice at the end of the video that the lower right hand bracket is not engaged with the underside of the liftgate as it should be.

Also, if you have a rear bumper mounted spare tire you may want to consider a spare wheel step (purchased or home-made) like this one from front runner - Spare Wheel Step.
The "ladder" is held to the spare wheel with a ratchet strap.

Attached Thumbnails Roof rack question-tee-nut.jpg   Roof rack question-multi-tee-nut.jpg   Roof rack question-546298_10151513376730383_603723837_n.jpg   Roof rack question-spare-wheel-step.jpg  

Last edited by spiderman; 04-05-2016 at 01:18 AM. Reason: added link to spare wheel step
The following users liked this post:
illbuildit (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 06:26 AM
Mudding

Holy cow excellent perfect information! Fortunately I understand. Love the idea of the tee nut. I'll definitely be doing some measuring and getting this on.

The angle brackets do have three slotted holes so that part should be easy. And definitely going to have to do the spare.

On the ladder I was thinking of making one but just wasn't sure how to mount. I'll get some pics once started.

I really appreciate all the input.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by spiderman

As for the ladder, it depends on the type you buy. The most common one fits where the license plate light bubble is, and is attached by removing the bubble and bolting the ladder on then replacing the bubble. There are three step and four step versions.

I found this link to an install video of the type that fits the other side (with no drilling). Notice at the end of the video that the lower right hand bracket is not engaged with the underside of the liftgate as it should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwaC1VrHi1w

Also, if you have a rear bumper mounted spare tire you may want to consider a spare wheel step (purchased or home-made) like this one from front runner - Spare Wheel Step.
The "ladder" is held to the spare wheel with a ratchet strap.
Man I really like that ladder. Makes me think I'm not going to make one now. That's way too perfect