LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rpm goes to almost zero at cold start

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rpm goes to almost zero at cold start

Hello guys,

I have a 2007 LR3 HSE w/ 75K + miles (runs great). Most of the time when I start the vehicle in the morning (after been parked overnight in a garage) the idle keeps falling down close to zero RPM as if the engine is about to die....what could be the reason here? I let it warm up for 2min or so, and still goes up and down from 2 to almost 0. The car won't die on me tho, fortunately,...... but it seems frustrating. This issue doesn't happen while I'm driving the car or at a stop sign, only when I start the car in the mornings or after it has been parked for several hours. Thank you in advance for your help.

Jeff

Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 PM
4wd Low

Jeff, I am having what seems to be the same problem except maybe not as advanced. How long has this been going on?

About a week ago mine started doing what you are describing and has gradually been getting worse. At first it would just dip rpm slightly at start and come back up immediately. Now it almost dies, and after 1-2 seconds returns to normal high idle at start up for a minute or 2 to warm up.

I just cleaned my throttle body, but I suspect this is not my problem as I just thoroughly cleaned it 6k miles ago. I also just cleaned my MAF and that did not help.

Only other thing I can think of is something going on with the injectors, but my LR3 runs perfectly except on a cold start. Maybe I will buy some of the BG 44k and put that in before either trying an injector flush or taking it somewhere.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Could this be something with the EGR, or PCV valves? I know very little about these systems.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by ambrown31
Jeff, I am having what seems to be the same problem except maybe not as advanced. How long has this been going on?

About a week ago mine started doing what you are describing and has gradually been getting worse. At first it would just dip rpm slightly at start and come back up immediately. Now it almost dies, and after 1-2 seconds returns to normal high idle at start up for a minute or 2 to warm up.

I just cleaned my throttle body, but I suspect this is not my problem as I just thoroughly cleaned it 6k miles ago. I also just cleaned my MAF and that did not help.

Only other thing I can think of is something going on with the injectors, but my LR3 runs perfectly except on a cold start. Maybe I will buy some of the BG 44k and put that in before either trying an injector flush or taking it somewhere.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Could this be something with the EGR, or PCV valves? I know very little about these systems.
Hey there, thanks for the reply. I honestly have not done any cleaning to the throttle body or MAF...I will soon though! and definitely let you know what happens... it's been going on for about a month or two, i try not to drive it as much since i have another daily driver vehicle.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:54 AM
4wd Low

I think I resolved my issue. I used Lucas fuel treatment and injector cleaner. It seems to have done the trick.

My thoughts on how my problem started: A couple of months ago I changed from Chevron gas to Shell gas simply because there was a Shell close to my house. Shortly after this is when I started experiencing the problem. My thoughts are that maybe Chevron gas cleans the system better. We will see if the problem comes back.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I resolved my issue. I used Lucas fuel treatment and injector cleaner. It seems to have done the trick.

My thoughts on how my problem started: A couple of months ago I changed from Chevron gas to Shell gas simply because there was a Shell close to my house. Shortly after this is when I started experiencing the problem. My thoughts are that maybe Chevron gas cleans the system better. We will see if the problem comes back.

Let us know how it goes.

When I moved from California to Indiana I had to make the same switch from Chevron to Shell and my rover does the same thing. I believe Chevron is the better fuel IMO. My RPM dips too in the morning, but I am about to try and engine flush with spark change. See what happens. Fuel treatments don't really have any effect from what I can see.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Overlanding

Let us know how it goes.
interesting.....i do use chevron and/or shell...i'll try one by one and see what happens, including your suggestion on the Lucas treatment.. thank you!

Old 04-04-2017, 11:17 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Deleted wrong post. Sorry

Last edited by LR03NJ; 04-04-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Wrong post