LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage Title LR3 What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 09:10 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Salvage Title LR3 What to do?

Back in March, I bought this 2006 LR3. The owner didn't tell me that it was a salvage title. He came highly recommended from this shop that I deal with all the time. He told me that his daughter threw away the title. The only thing he gave me was a bill of sale. I had really no reason to look if it was salvage. I was so pissed off that I let it sit for a few months and we started to work on the 07 white LR3 we bought in the same week. We have it very well sorted out and that is the one my son is going to take to school. Not really sure what to do with the salvage one. I'm might fix everything and put it on a rental site called Outdorrsy.com or sell it. I have 2016 RR TD6 is my daily. Not really sure what to do, if anyone has an idea or if anyone is interested in the silver one let me know. It has a lot of upgrades. I'm on the Central Coast of California. I have attached a few photos and the list of upgrades.
Fell free to call or text me 805 440-4209 Tom

Tom
805 440-4209

Attached Thumbnails Salvage Title LR3 What to do?-img_3992.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Land Rover LR3 Parts 2.pdf (19.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-15-2021, 09:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 732 Likes on 614 Posts

This is why its a good idea to run a VIN before buying, always. But that is a shady move, to "lose" the title... But why was it salvaged? There can be many reason with many not being a big deal really. Salvage does not necessarily mean flood, etc. So do you know the cause?

Old 05-15-2021, 09:26 AM
Mudding

I'm not really sure why. If I have to guess there is a small dent in the lower rear quarter panel and into the Kaymar bumper. I think the insurance company looked at that bumper and totaled the car.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 732 Likes on 614 Posts

Thats very possible. As you know, its all based on when. New truck, they will toss money at it. Old truck with damage, they simply total. I hd a car totaled once and bought it back form the insurance for $500. You may be able to find out the exact cause, I think in some states you can look that info up.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:30 AM
Mudding

Yes, you can here in CA but I just haven't done it yet.

Old 05-16-2021, 10:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 217 Likes on 191 Posts

Surely there is a way to get it inspected and the tile reinstated ? Here in OZ they call it a stat write off but you can repair the damage and have it inspected depending on why it was written off.
That looks like too good a car to wreck.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:12 AM
Mudding

Here in California once a salvage title always a salvage title.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 217 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfectphoto
Here in California once a salvage title always a salvage title.
Got any relatives in another state ?

Old 05-18-2021, 02:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm amazed you were able to get it registered without the actual title! The only vehicles you can get away with that around here have to be >25 years old.

Your story is a good cautionary tale to others to NEVER buy a vehicle without seeing the title and making sure that you will have it before turning over cash. A bill of sale isn't worth much really and the vehicle could be stolen, about to be repossessed by a lien holder, who knows. If a seller ever gave me a line like that I would have run for the door and never looked back. A history report would likely have displayed the brandiing event but even they aren't foolproof. My neighbor bought a RR and the accident hadn't yet hit the computers. The previous owners must have flipped it within a short window. Turns out the truck had been rear ended and the entire rear clip of the truck was cut off and replaced with a totalled vehicle's rear end that was sawed off after a front end collision. That was a mess!

I don't even know how you'd sell it at all now without a title in hand. You'd have to bond it here and go through all of that mess and time. If you've got it registered at this point (I still want to know how without a title) I'd just drive it.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:29 PM
Mudding
Default Salvage

Here in California, you don't need the pink slip. Just a bill of sale. If a car is a salvage title you just have to have it inspected before you can be registered again. So it does open the door for fraud. My lesson here is to trust nobody.

Quick Reply: Salvage Title LR3 What to do?